Say what you will about his personal beliefs, but the man is a very good actor. It's kind of a shame that he's settled into this action hero thing these last few years. I'd love to see him sink his teeth into another drama. A Few Good Men, Magnolia, and Born on the Fourth of July are good examples of that. I do enjoy his M:I movies though. I appreciate that he always gives 100% to his movies and does his own stunts even at 57. He is a machine.

Oscar nominations:

Born on the Fourth of July (1989)- Any other year that Oscar would have been Tom's but he was up against Daniel Day-Lewis in My Left Foot who gave a really terrific performance. His work in BOTFOJ is exceptional.

Jerry Maguire (1996)- At first I didn't understand why he was nominated but after watching it recently I can see why. He's really good at channeling the change in Jerry after one of his clients get hurt and it's so quick too. But Cruise does great the whole way through and it's an enjoyable performance.

Magnolia (1999)- He should have taken home the statue that year. At least he won the Golden Globe. But come on, I love Michael Caine but he did not deserve it for The Cider House Rules. Tom Cruise was fantastic as Frank T.J. Mackey. That role was made for him.

Anyway, looking forward to Top Gun: Maverick. Looks like that funeral scene in the trailer might be Iceman's funeral. Sad...