Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Under used DC characters and how to use/revamp them.

Vixen: She’s to powerful to be a street level hero, but her general aesthetic and personality doesn’t seem to fit with a traditional cosmic level hero. She’s what I would call a world level hero. She should probably be fighting global terrorist groups, reasonably powerful supervillains and maybe some low tier magic threats. She should also be a globe hopper a character not tied to one city or country. This allows her to play up both her international appeal and her knowledge of the world’s wildlife.

Martian Manhunter: He needs to go more cosmic and weird. His powers are weird and almost tailor made for a Grant Morrison (Animal Man, Doom Patrol era Morrison) style series. His powers are very psychedelic when you think about it. DC needs a cosmic team. And Martian Manhunter should be on it.

Powergirl: Certain characters owe their very existence to the multiverse. DC needs a team built around inter dimensional travel. What’s the point of having a multiverse if it only shows in “event” stories. Powergirl and a lot of other characters that have inter dimensional travel in their history should form a team. Plus they need to stop making Powergirl just a palette swap Supergirl.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

The problem with Vixen isn't her but the writers. They constantly depict her powers wrong and don't care. She comes off as street level because they keep depicting her so. Sometimes you will have those writers who actually showcase her powers properly but that's very rarely.

You dump them all onto a team book and forget about them

No point wasting resources on a solo book for a character that doesn't really have momentum or much interest attached to them.

Vixen's powers are basically the same as Beast Boy's, right? Have they ever teamed up?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Vixen: She’s to powerful to be a street level hero, but her general aesthetic and personality doesn’t seem to fit with a traditional cosmic level hero. She’s what I would call a world level hero. She should probably be fighting global terrorist groups, reasonably powerful supervillains and maybe some low tier magic threats. She should also be a globe hopper a character not tied to one city or country. This allows her to play up both her international appeal and her knowledge of the world’s wildlife.

Martian Manhunter: He needs to go more cosmic and weird. His powers are weird and almost tailor made for a Grant Morrison (Animal Man, Doom Patrol era Morrison) style series. His powers are very psychedelic when you think about it. DC needs a cosmic team. And Martian Manhunter should be on it.

Powergirl: Certain characters owe their very existence to the multiverse. DC needs a team built around inter dimensional travel. What’s the point of having a multiverse if it only shows in “event” stories. Powergirl and a lot of other characters that have inter dimensional travel in their history should form a team. Plus they need to stop making Powergirl just a palette swap Supergirl.
    Heh, when I saw that thread title, I thought, made for Power Girl! I would say go one of two directions with her. Either as you say make dimension hopping her special thing, (and I'd add that to make her truly special, she needs to come from a universe with some distinction, rather than just another universe, which face it is what Earth 2 is. Perhaps whatever DC's Prime universe is called. The other way is to just dump that idea and make her part of the main DCU universe and find some other way to change her up; but yes, she needs distance from Supergirl to work, at least as far as DC seems to think. Whatever the case, there are a few elements you can't change. Krypton. She's got to be from some version of that planet. her personality needs to remain roughly consistent with past portrayals, save for anything from the nu52, and Johns' characterizations of her---he admitted long ago he didn't like or get her character, and that seems to remain the case. But her own series, plus the All-Star days and her League years form a pretty decent picture of her personality.

She does need a mission...a reason there's another Kryptonian hero around other than just another fist to punch bad guys with. Something that no one else can supply or do, something probably rooted on Krypton itself, and her life there, something she brings to the table that Superman or Supergirl don't.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Vixen's powers are basically the same as Beast Boy's, right? Have they ever teamed up?
    Beast Boy transforms into animals, but Vixen channels their power and gains their traits(lizard's regeneration, strength of an elephant, etc..)

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    No it's not the same. Vixen uses the abilities or characteristics of animals on a superhuman scale. If she's using the strength of a gorilla it would most likely be the strength of a superhuman gorilla. She simply scales up the abilities.

Vixen’s powers are very shamanic. Has this ever been explored? I like the global hero idea but with the therianthropic angle, she could go to DC super natural.

I’d like to see an event with lesser known villains. Put the big guns on the rack for a bit and take out Angle Man level villains and hype them up.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post

No point wasting resources on a solo book for a character that doesn't really have momentum or much interest attached to them.
    I’d be a little more enthusiastic about it, but yeah, a group of mismatched/obscure/b-c list characters can generate a fun book. Gail Simone’s Secret Six is a good example for DC.
    A current example on the Marvel side is Strikeforce, which is quietly one of the best new team books around.

So by all means DC, give someone a chance to take your unused characters and do something w. them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    I’d like to see an event with lesser known villains. Put the big guns on the rack for a bit and take out Angle Man level villains and hype them up.
    Angle Man could easily be WW’s Captain Cold/Mirror Master.
    For a hero like WW, who’s rogues gallery has always been thin, it’s a shame this villain’s never really been fleshed out.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 01-06-2020 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post

If DC followed this advice we'd have never gotten Suicide Squad or Secret Six.

Jackson Hyde, Lorena Marquez, Koryak, Miya Shimada and Neptune Perkins could be in a series focusing on their lives as Atlantian human hybrids.

Xiang Po (Gloss of New Guardians/Global Guardians) could be reimagined as a champion of the Chinese goddess Nuwa. She would be torn between duty to her country and duty to her patron.

Fire and Ice would be used in a miniseries showing their travels across the world.

Fantastic Member wickedmountain's Avatar

I Enjoyed Power Girl when she was with Huntress for awhile .

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    No. We got those books because they DID follow that advice.

...Bunch of nobodies got dumped into one book.
    ...forgotten about or strategically ignored by the machinations of editorial
    ...a writer that wanted to tell a good story "did".

sounds like you proved his point to me.

Animal Man and Vixen have the same powers if I'm not mistaken hard for me to think of her being on a team when Buddy never really went "cosmic" either. Its a set that's powerful because its more plot device than defined thing.
    Either way... I'm indifferent to the green and red.

My underused pick?

The New Blue Bettle. Also... Mr.Terrific. annnnnnd the flash point version of the outsider.
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 01-07-2020 at 03:48 AM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    ^^^Isn’t dumping the characters in one book HOW we got Suicide Squad and Secret Six?

Like I said, Nite-Wing’s idea isn’t bad, it should just be approached enthusiastically!

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^Isn’t dumping the characters in one book HOW we got Suicide Squad and Secret Six?

Like I said, Nite-Wing’s idea isn’t bad, it should just be approached enthusiastically!
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    No. We got those books because they DID follow that advice.

His point was "dump these characters in a book and then forget about them because there is no point in wasting resources on characters with no pull". This is not what happened with the Squad and the Six. Well, the "forget about them" part happened with the Six but not with the Squad.