Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    OMG my heart.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    I think my biggest issue with the book is how unimportant it seems. Marauders and X-Force really contribute to the overall idea of Krakoa and its role as a culture/nation. This has a lot of heavy hitters but feels like it's barely a part of the other books.
    I highly agree! The story itself is very bland and vague in my opinion. Glad to hear that this "mutant magic" concept may get more well defined. Hopefully we start to understand the point of Rictor, Jubilee and Gambit being there. Gambit may as well be Rogue's tampon.

BANNED

I think my biggest issue with the book is how unimportant it seems. Marauders and X-Force really contribute to the overall idea of Krakoa and its role as a culture/nation. This has a lot of heavy hitters but feels like it's barely a part of the other books.
    I think it's tackling just as important issues though as far as heritage and culture and how their roots still play a part in who they are despite the big move. It deals with familial relationships and how those don't just sever and that, though mutants might want to build a new culture it isn't going to happen just like that. Cajun culture, for example, is a blend between the languages and traditions of the French colonisers and African slaves. Scouse (Liverpudlian) accents and foods, even, are the result of Irish immigration, ect.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    I wasn't a huge fan of Rictor's new look at first, especially coming off of the great redesign he got in Shatterstar's mini. It was just too clean cut and generic

But now that he's going full druid I'm definitely coming around to it

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    She's still wearing that dated 90's outfit in the next arc (see the pic with Cullen), so don't hold your breath.
    All the characters' costumes change when they are in Otherworld, I imagine that will be true for Rogue as well.

I wish I liked this book more. All of the characters except Rictor and [A] have felt flat and one note so far and the pacing is way off. There have been big things happening in the plot, but it just feels hollow.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    I think it's tackling just as important issues though as far as heritage and culture and how their roots still play a part in who they are despite the big move. It deals with familial relationships and how those don't just sever and that, though mutants might want to build a new culture it isn't going to happen just like that. Cajun culture, for example, is a blend between the languages and traditions of the French colonisers and African slaves. Scouse (Liverpudlian) accents and foods, even, are the result of Irish immigration, ect.
    Agreed and I love the fantasy aspect of it all. Betsy is in a new role interacting with a setting we haven't seen her in for some time and bringing some friends along. I like that, I like the freshness of it. Looking back, the original Excalibur also received criticism for not being "connected" enough to the formal X-Men. And that, to me, is what made Excalibur carve out such a unique place in the X-Mythos.

Bring on the fantasy, fun, and love angst!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I hope we get a good fight scene nxt issue, but I doubt it...
    I only continue to read X-books because I don't spend any money on it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Looking back, the original Excalibur also received criticism for not being "connected" enough to the formal X-Men. And that, to me, is what made Excalibur carve out such a unique place in the X-Mythos.
    The original also did GREAT character work with all of it's characters, where as here it's mainly Betsy & friends. Plus Apocalypse back up vocals (which are the best part of the book).

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    I wasn't a huge fan of Rictor's new look at first, especially coming off of the great redesign he got in Shatterstar's mini. It was just too clean cut and generic

But now that he's going full druid I'm definitely coming around to it
    I really love that it looks like he’ll be keeping the markings (at least for the arc) and hood.

Those vines in the costume make me hope he'll exhibit some of those connections to "the Earth's life force".

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    LOL at Gambit brushing Rogue's hair. Really?

This book is so frustrating. This interview didn't really make me interested in continuing to invest in this story.
    Right. Tini seems lovely but I chuckled at getting the characters voices right. This is so stereotyped it might as well have been written by Kelly Thompson.

Thats a flaw with the pace of the book. 4 issues in and it both feels like a lot and barely nothing happened. It will redeem itself in time if the threads introduced here are relevant to the overall narrative but otherwise. Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Right. Tini seems lovely but I chuckled at getting the characters voices right. This is so stereotyped it might as well have been written by Kelly Thompson.

Thats a flaw with the pace of the book. 4 issues in and it both feels like a lot and barely nothing happened. It will redeem itself in time if the threads introduced here are relevant to the overall narrative but otherwise. Meh.
    That's the same issue I have with this book. I really like all these seeds she's planting (mutant magic, the Apocalypse stuff, the Akkaba Coven, Rictor etc.) but at the same time it looks like nothing is really happening and if something happens then it's very rushed (like their last trip to Otherworld could have literally never happened because it felt so pointless to me).

Mighty Member

This interview was meh. This book is meh. A like all the characters. I’m happy to see Betsy, Rogue and Gambit on the same team again, but nothing has been done with two of them. This Psylocke will be Psylocke is annoying. Kwannon was never Psylocke. Appearance only. It needs to be addressed by both Betsy and Kwannon. I’m still unsure what mutant magic is. I was most excited for this book, but it’s only slightly better than Fallen Angels.

Mighty Member

I like the characters but the story's been just OK so far. I've never read Excalibur stuff before (the first team) so not sure if that's a plus or a negative in terms of how much I like it. I just find it confusing overall so hard to engage at times. I will keep it on my pull list though. Future issues look good just hope I'm not as confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    This interview was meh. This book is meh. A like all the characters. I’m happy to see Betsy, Rogue and Gambit on the same team again, but nothing has been done with two of them. This Psylocke will be Psylocke is annoying. Kwannon was never Psylocke. Appearance only. It needs to be addressed by both Betsy and Kwannon. I’m still unsure what mutant magic is. I was most excited for this book, but it’s only slightly better than Fallen Angels.
    I like that both Fallen Angels and Excalibur in the beginning acknowledged Betsy was Psylocke but it isn't clear why Kwannon would take on that name or why Betsy would reject her codename. It is very confusing and it is frustrating. NuPsylocke should have been Revanche like she was before or just go by Kwannon. Having her go by Psylocke is just making it more convoluted.

I loved the first issue of Excalibur but only the first issue. I'm not collecting it. I am glad others like it and I hope it continues to do well.