Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I don’t really buy the whole gifting the Psylocke identity to Kwannon. It feels very much like ole girl just took the name to be petty. All her dialogue bits such as “Braddock took my body. I’m keeping the name.” “Don’t ever mention Elizabeth Braddock to me.” “...i don’t even have my own name.” It all feels very “I’m mad and want to get under this woman’s skin.” Which is fine, but the whole narrative of reclaiming it cause of the body has just never rang true to me.

That said, I’m enjoying Excalibur but I agree that I wish Tini would’ve paired down some of the plots. It feels like we have a lot of half formed ideas rather than one clear line to follow. I feel Tini WANTS this to feel chaotic. Like, the heroes are constantly on the move and don’t have time to really grapple with everything that’s been thrown at them but the execution isn’t all the way there. It’s never too much to take me out and I do enjoy a lot of the character moments with Betsy/Poccy/Rictor/Shogo but I hope she lets it all breathe out a bit in the next arc.
    Last edited by Psycwave; 01-06-2020 at 10:30 PM.

Oh yeah the gifting stuff is part of my SHOULDA DUN scenario. There’s nothing much I like about this path Hickman & Co decided to take. It’s just how I’m rationalizing how terrible it is.

They should’ve left Betsy the butterfly. Psychic knife ninja Kwannonlocke wouldn’t have needed it.

I don’t even think Kwannon has it though? She hasn’t used it in FA from what I’ve seen. I know she had it on a Land cover but...it was a Land cover lol. I just don’t think they wanted it for Betsy anymore.

Which is worse RIP
    Last edited by Psycwave; 01-06-2020 at 10:31 PM.

they make a lot of bad choices

Mighty Member

This series should become the X-men version of Torchwood. Especially if there are holes between worlds. It’s the perfect set up, but instead of dealing with aliens and what not, they deal with magic.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalPsyc View Post
    They stripped away all what make Betsy-the Betsy we've known before (barely using telepathy, losing the butterfly signature, not using fighting skills despite retain the knowledge/skill, not using her power creatively) - and give it to Kwannon. She's just a brute with a light sword and shield now which happend to be called Captain Britain.
    Yea the butterfly thing, Psy-knife and her varied use of her TK/TP power should have stayed. No real reason for Betsy to change her style and move set into a simpler one.
    I only continue to read X-books because I don't spend any money on it.

Well, the sword and shield makes sense as she's now more of a warrior type as Captain Britain. Though she already had it before on Disassembled lol.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I like the sword and shield.
    Where in the great rule book of superheroes does it stipulate that heroes must never change and evolve; must never try/do/become something new and different?
    Her power signature manifests as a shield and broad sword as befits her new status (which is far better, more interesting than psychic ninja and more relevant to the character)
    Besides, the psi-knife only came into being when she was bonded to Kwannon...before she went through the Siege Perilous she relied on her psy-blasts, she wore knight armor. It can be argued that everything she manifested post SP -the knife, the katanas, the outfit, were due to Kwannon's influence and not true Betsy. Which makes her CB persona the real, true Elizabeth Braddock.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I’m trying to google my old 2019 posts about Kwannon as Psylocke but the internet blows.

Anyway, my point is this: “Psylocke is the name given to Betsy by Mojo after he abducted her, suppressed her mind, controlled her body for his own entertainment. It was only after Betsy regained agency of her person that she made “Psylocke” into a hero.

Similarly, in a way, “Psylocke” is the identity given to Kwannon by Betsy after she abducted her, suppressed her mind, controlled her body for her own entertainment. Not that Betsy was initially at fault, but she WAS ultimately responsible. Betsy, respectfully, can see the parallel of her experience to Kwannon’s and, respectfully, gift Kwannon with the Psylocke identity and entrust her to achieve her own heroism.
    I would've loved had they done this.

They're like, "if we act like Kwannon is and always was Psylocke and ignore the confusion caused by this people will eventually accept it!"

BS
    They don't even have to do this though! MOST people already believe this.

Ask the general public to choose who is Psylocke btw a female Asian ninja with a mysterious past and an adrenaline problem or Betsy, a white British woman with light purple hair who abides by rules and laws.

Betsy moved on to a better title, a more popular book, and her fans still want to be petty when it comes to Kwannon. Without even acknowledging Betsy would've never been as popular as she is if the general public hadn't thought she was Asian.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    I would've loved had they done this.
    Thank you! The absence of a confrontation and resolution was a choice by Hickman & Co to jump straight into stories, rather than deal with the new Krakoan status quo. A big beachhead battle where we learn exactly what each woman’s powers, personalities, and fighting styles would’ve saved us all a lot of friction and confusion.

Merp. I'd rather she have stayed the way she was in X-Men Disassembled. I don't think I'm liking TH's exploration of Betsy and the Captain Britain title.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Merp. I'd rather she have stayed the way she was in X-Men Disassembled. I don't think I'm liking TH's exploration of Betsy and the Captain Britain title.
    Same, which is why I suggested a slower growth like:

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Betsy should’ve worked longer on building the Betsy brand before having her brother’s thrust on her. Cycle through her various identities like “Agent Braddock”, “Runway”, “Violet Knight”, “Lady of the Lighthouse”, “Uriel”, until ultimately sharing the Captain Britain mantle with her brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Well, the sword and shield makes sense as she's now more of a warrior type as Captain Britain. Though she already had it before on Disassembled lol.
    I loved how she was depicted in Disassembled... strong telepath, butterfly signature, tk sword and shield, but also fighting...it felt the natural evolution of Brit betsy with the experience in Kwannon's body. I agree that now as Captain Britain she feels to much retooled and not enough the Betsy we followed all these years... Power and character wise.

I agree it was important to give the ladies their bodies back but they should have done it with a little more respect to the fan base and Betsy as a character.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I like the sword and shield.
    Where in the great rule book of superheroes does it stipulate that heroes must never change and evolve; must never try/do/become something new and different?
    Her power signature manifests as a shield and broad sword as befits her new status (which is far better, more interesting than psychic ninja and more relevant to the character)
    Besides, the psi-knife only came into being when she was bonded to Kwannon...before she went through the Siege Perilous she relied on her psy-blasts, she wore knight armor. It can be argued that everything she manifested post SP -the knife, the katanas, the outfit, were due to Kwannon's influence and not true Betsy. Which makes her CB persona the real, true Elizabeth Braddock.
    Co-signed. I've been following Betsy since Fall of the Mutants (I'm aging myself) and have watched her transform many times. I'm personally cool with it and willing to wait & see what Tini has in store.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I feel like they should have at least put the Butterfly on Betsy's shield, like a crest, as it is right now it has a very simple and boring design.