Incredible Member

Default JLD #18: (SPOILERS) returns!!

Drakul-freakin'-Karfang from A League of One! Brought back to life by Circe, the dragon is back in the stable of villainy!

I have really enjoyed Tynion's writing on JLD. His writing of all the characters involved is great, and I think he has a particularly good handle on Diana's voice.

Anyway, the issue itself is in media res, but it's punctuated with great character moments, and while I have no idea how this arc will end, I'm looking forward to learning!

(Oh, and the cover has *nothing* to do with the interior events.)
    Last edited by Frank; 01-06-2020 at 03:19 PM.

Tynion actually writers WW pretty good. And even though a lot of this title isn't really my thing, it's at least been interesting. It's been my go to for my Wonder Woman fix since it came out, even more than the actual WW title.

Spectacular Member

Yeah, it was totally a surprise. It took me a couple of seconds to recall why or what was significant about this dragon. Then, DING!

It was a treat to see this wicked dragon return.

Wonder Woman shone a lot brighter and better in JLD under Tynion's pen than GWW.

BANNED

This is my favorite DC book, and deep cuts like this are just so darkly delightful. I wouldn’t say no to a Tynion/Martínez run on WW.

I was very impressed by him showing up, nice to see that story get acknowledged.

Is this a good showing for Circe? Does this redefine her, as a supervillain?
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I’m enjoying his take on circe! She’s really scary

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    It’s her best showing in pretty much ever so I’d say yes. She’s charming, manipulative, ambitious, power hungry, and utterly sociopathic which is how I want her to be, so I wouldn’t call it a “redefining”. Mostly just a good showing that makes a case for her bing a major power player in the DCU.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s her best showing in pretty much ever so I’d say yes. She’s charming, manipulative, ambitious, power hungry, and utterly sociopathic which is how I want her to be, so I wouldn’t call it a “redefining”. Mostly just a good showing that makes a case for her bing a major power player in the DCU.
    I agree with everything you've said! I, at first, hated her circus redesign, but even that's grown on me a lot to make her look and feel more menacing. The Injustice League Dark can also be a DCU level threat if some writer chooses to use them.

Circe is power hungry? Is she not as powerful in this?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    She's powerful but basically she wants the powers of Hecate which is connected to being one of the Witchmarked. This would basically make of the Goddess of Magic. It's a pretty long storyline, but you can get The Witchng War trade which is the beginning of the storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    She’s very powerful but she’s also greedy. She wants more. She’ll always want more.

This is a very witchy Circe, in this JLD story. I like that, and I credit the grating over-exposure of Harley Quinn for helping me appreciate it. Circe doesn't have to be a Joker.

I would like to see more of the exile and persecution time, from her origin story. I would like to see more of the struggle that made her the Circe, in this story.

I am looking forward to seeing Diana face her, in the finale. Great so far...
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-09-2020 at 09:00 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!