Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Default So how much blame do you place on American voters for America's government

The reason I ask is because elsewhere there was a argument about this. A Iranian was basically begging Americans to go out and vote for better politicians etc. Because there's a possibility of thousands of people dying on both sides. While American was saying that it's not our fault, our government basically does a lot of things against the public wishes. Someone even brought up that it was hard for us to protest because of work.

But how much of it is our fault as citizens and voters?

One of the problems we have a minority Party. A loathsome, corrupt, hateful Party, controlling the Government. But not enough Americans have woke up to what they are. They cling to their God and guns and don't think.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Almost none.

Government has been stacking the deck to keep it in a position to look out for money for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Almost none.

Government has been stacking the deck to keep it in a position to look out for money for decades.
    But starting with Reagan, the voters keep these scumbags in office.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Put simply, Reagan didn't put the Constitution or the Bill Of Rights together.

The problem with American government is that the things that keep you reasonably safe from government are also the things that make it seriously difficult to make said government something that works better for the citizen.

Boisterously Confused

80%. The institutions (from either party) have claimed all the power they can. Holding them to account? That was on us. We failed.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Put simply, Reagan didn't put the Constitution or the Bill Of Rights together.

The problem with American government is that the things that keep you reasonably safe from government are also the things that make it seriously difficult to make said government something that works better for the citizen.
    When you said decades, I thought... but I see you mean the whole DNA.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    One other thing about this...

You've got to be able to second guess if the people you would toss in the "Good Guys..." pile were helping to create the sort of government we are discussing.

Think back to Robert Kennedy and the Teamsters.

Was Kennedy actually looking out for the people and not government there?

And that got me thinking...

Go back to the recent curtain on sexual harassment that got pulled back on Congress.

Anyone actually think you can blame the voter and not the Congress that just made up it's own rules about sexual harassment?

It's not like ever member of Congress said "Hey. Since I'm up for reelection, I'm gonna shoot straight with you about what happens if I sexually harass someone so you have a chance to use your vote to keep me accountable."

So, yeah. Not that big on pinning the blame on the people when I know that is the existing reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    The reason I ask is because elsewhere there was a argument about this. A Iranian was basically begging Americans to go out and vote for better politicians etc. Because there's a possibility of thousands of people dying on both sides. While American was saying that it's not our fault, our government basically does a lot of things against the public wishes. Someone even brought up that it was hard for us to protest because of work.

But how much of it is our fault as citizens and voters?
    we are at least 60% to blame. but at least we didn't elect Boris Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    It is 100% our fault, as much as we would like to believe that there is some sinister cabal controlling everything and we are just the innocent victims.
    we aren't innocent. and there is a cabal. several cabal. they present us with the options. and then we vote. some people vote stupidly. some don't vote at all. some vote out of spite. but, while we're eating, we didn't set the table.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 01-07-2020 at 06:55 AM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    ...we aren't innocent. and there is a cabal. several cabal. they present us with the options. and then we vote. some people vote stupidly. some don't vote at all. some vote out of spite. but, while we're eating, we didn't set the table.
    Agreed, there is a cabal. That said, in the US, part of the problem is that government is a great deal more complex than what The Framers put in place. Keeping up with everything going on, and tracing it back to your Congressional Representative and/or Senator's vote is more than most have time and capacity to manage. Still, if one views the situation as undesirable, and the one keeps voting for the same people...what was that definition of insanity again?

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Agreed, there is a cabal. That said, in the US, part of the problem is that government is a great deal more complex than what The Framers put in place. Keeping up with everything going on, and tracing it back to your Congressional Representative and/or Senator's vote is more than most have time and capacity to manage. Still, if one views the situation as undesirable, and the one keeps voting for the same people...what was that definition of insanity again?
    all good points!

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

The world thinks Americans have so much power bc our government pretends to be a functional democracy which puts the blame on its citizens for what the government does. I think we, as Americans, realize how little power the people have in other countries but many of us don’t realize how little power we have in our own bc they make it seem like the power is “to the people.” It’s not and it never will be. It’s more like, “power to the capitalists.”

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Not really, the current system incentivizes people to be disengaged.
    That's a REALLY good point, and I think that's by design. Which ties into the thing about not being able to protest.
    Last edited by Emperor-of-Dragons; 01-07-2020 at 09:33 AM.

Retired

I like how when one athlete competing for the USA wins the gold at the Olympics, Americans are quick to shout "WE WON!" like every one of them can take credit for that athlete's achievement. But when the USA continues to do things that will destroy our planet, Americans are quick to say, "Hey, don't look at me. I'm not responsible, it's that other guy. My hands are clean."

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    we are at least 60% to blame. but at least we didn't elect Boris Johnson.

we aren't innocent. and there is a cabal. several cabal. they present us with the options. and then we vote. some people vote stupidly. some don't vote at all. some vote out of spite. but, while we're eating, we didn't set the table.
    Bojo was thanks to Brexit and shitty media barons