Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Default So how much blame do you place on American voters for America's government

The reason I ask is because elsewhere there was a argument about this. A Iranian was basically begging Americans to go out and vote for better politicians etc. Because there's a possibility of thousands of people dying on both sides. While American was saying that it's not our fault, our government basically does a lot of things against the public wishes. Someone even brought up that it was hard for us to protest because of work.

But how much of it is our fault as citizens and voters?

One of the problems we have a minority Party. A loathsome, corrupt, hateful Party, controlling the Government. But not enough Americans have woke up to what they are. They cling to their God and guns and don't think.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Almost none.

Government has been stacking the deck to keep it in a position to look out for money for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Almost none.

Government has been stacking the deck to keep it in a position to look out for money for decades.
    But starting with Reagan, the voters keep these scumbags in office.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Put simply, Reagan didn't put the Constitution or the Bill Of Rights together.

The problem with American government is that the things that keep you reasonably safe from government are also the things that make it seriously difficult to make said government something that works better for the citizen.

Boisterously Confused

80%. The institutions (from either party) have claimed all the power they can. Holding them to account? That was on us. We failed.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Put simply, Reagan didn't put the Constitution or the Bill Of Rights together.

The problem with American government is that the things that keep you reasonably safe from government are also the things that make it seriously difficult to make said government something that works better for the citizen.
    When you said decades, I thought... but I see you mean the whole DNA.

When you said decades, I thought... but I see you mean the whole DNA.
    No, I can see how someone might have looked at it and got that.

But, yeah.

The designs that make it sturdy also make it something that can take on a life of it's own once large enough economic interests come into play.

Don't really blame the voter for not being able to build a time machine to go back and change those foundations.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

It came to my attention that many voters voted for certain people into higher positions in the government in recent years due to a desire to have less debt and more financial prosperity, and figured that voting as many rich people in as possible would help with that. I suppose money can really help corrupt those who gain more power.

BANNED

It is 100% our fault, as much as we would like to believe that there is some sinister cabal controlling everything and we are just the innocent victims. Fundamentally, all of America's foreign adventurism secures for us the resources and influence to support the lifestyles we enjoy, we might feel guilty about it, but unless we are willing to give up our standard of living, all of that concern is wholly insincere and the rest of the world knows it. We make up 5% of the world's population but we use 25% of the world's energy, and no matter how much fracking we do we could never supply that ourselves, so we need to secure the rest from somewhere.

One other thing about this...

You've got to be able to second guess if the people you would toss in the "Good Guys..." pile were helping to create the sort of government we are discussing.

Think back to Robert Kennedy and the Teamsters.

Was Kennedy actually looking out for the people and not government there?

And that got me thinking...

Go back to the recent curtain on sexual harassment that got pulled back on Congress.

Anyone actually think you can blame the voter and not the Congress that just made up it's own rules about sexual harassment?

It's not like ever member of Congress said "Hey. Since I'm up for reelection, I'm gonna shoot straight with you about what happens if I sexually harass someone so you have a chance to use your vote to keep me accountable."

So, yeah. Not that big on pinning the blame on the people when I know that is the existing reality.

About 30-40%, there are certain aspects of government/global institutions that the public has little control over. For example regardless of party winding up in stupid middle east conflicts seems natural.

However the public does bare responsibility for certain politicians, general ignorance, and naked tribalism. People in Iowa know what Steve King's about, nothing about his record is hidden, nothing should be a surprise with a minute of research. They keep electing him. I can't absolve them of fault for that.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Nearly half of voters voted in an obvious piece of **** - and many others didn't bother voting to stop him.

Yeah I blame the voters.

And I do the same here in Britain for the compulsive liar we have in charge - and for Brexit - and for turning down the chance to fix our broken two-party voting system.

I definitely blame the quarter of voters voting for the GOP, and the ones who don't lift a finger to stop them.