Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

He would, but he would never ask about it. They both seem to keep it pretty professional with the understanding that deep down, they're friends. I imagine they catch up a bit during that yearly coffee (which will always be canon to me), but if Jim started cracking or looked visibly distraught, Bruce would talk to him. They're friends, and when Batman isn't too busy being used as an all-business-the-crusade-never-sleeps allegory for men as gods, he can stop the mission for a brief moment to help Jim out.

Incredible Member

I think I actually need to revise my answer to ... Not really.

In the backyard confrontation in NML, Batman is just finally listening to Gordon vent about how Batman takes him for granted and lets him look like a chump. A very valid grievance considering their ups and downs since Knightfall.

After NML, when Gordon has lost his wife to the Joker, and then after Officer Down when he left his job, Batman checks in on him and will ask a genuine "how are you doing?" ... but that's not really the same as actually listening to personal problems.

Or, Batman will listen to Jim's personal problems, provided they're relevant to a crime, or it's something catastrophic like your wife being murdered or you being shot. But there's not really many, if any, examples of "Okay so the Riddler left a clue. Hey before I go, how are you doing, overall? Staying healthy?" -- the most common thing they do is Batman punking Gordon by leaving mid-sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    After NML, when Gordon has lost his wife to the Joker, and then after Officer Down when he left his job, Batman checks in on him and will ask a genuine "how are you doing?" ... but that's not really the same as actually listening to personal problems.
    But the obvious concern is there, and if Gordon needed to vent, it's an opportunity to do so.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But the obvious concern is there, and if Gordon needed to vent, it's an opportunity to do so.
    Sure. Batman will listen to your problems, provided your problem is related to Batman. But he's not shown to be a good listener for anything that I think would be described as a personal problem. Batman is cold like that.

Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    Sure. Batman will listen to your problems, provided your problem is related to Batman. But he's not shown to be a good listener for anything that I think would be described as a personal problem. Batman is cold like that.
    I think it depends which Batman we're talking about and where he's at. Not many people would probably think of coming to Batman with their problems, but if it was serious I don't think he'd ignore them or not listen.

Bruce as Batman doesn't even really listen to his own kids' problems and ignores them until the issue practically punches him in the face. So listening to Gordon? Ha!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it depends which Batman we're talking about and where he's at. Not many people would probably think of coming to Batman with their problems, but if it was serious I don't think he'd ignore them or not listen.
    With Gordon and Bruce Wayne, there really aren't many (if any, arguably) examples of Batman listening to Gordon's personal problems, outside of the most extreme circumstances and even then the conversation is really about the case. Interestingly, there are plenty of instances of Gordon inviting Bruce/Batman to open up to him about his personal problems, but of course Batman always declines with a grunt and then disappears.

Anyway the Harley Quinn episode in the OP makes a good observation about this and turns it into a funny and worthy Bat story.

I think he would listen to Gordon but may not be the best person to offer advice on how to deal with the situation.