Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would Batman listen to Jim's personal problems in the comics?

So I'm loving the show Harlequin and I love it's take on the various and after seeing the latest episode I can't help but wonder if Batman would really listen to Jim's relationship problems and do you think he'd take the bat signal away if Jim got too emotional?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Yes.
    No.

The one I remember was when Gordon feels Batman didn't trust him in... I think No Man's Land? He ended up taking off his cowl to show how much he trusts Jim, but he refused to see.

Another one was when Batgirl (Babs) presumed to kill James Jr. and Gordon blamed Batman for allowing other people, who he views as kids, to be involved in his war.

Batman also lets himself punched by Gordon multiple times in comics if he feels he deserve it.

Incredible Member

During the Rucka/Brubaker era, he did.

Those writers really loved the Gordon dynamic in Batman Year One and wanted to bring it to the forefront of the main DCU continuity.

Gordon's best interpersonal moments with Bats were during and after the NML period, when Batman would visit him in his backyard garden instead of the GCPD rooftop.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    During the Rucka/Brubaker era, he did.

Those writers really loved the Gordon dynamic in Batman Year One and wanted to bring it to the forefront of the main DCU continuity.

Gordon's best interpersonal moments with Bats were during and after the NML period, when Batman would visit him in his backyard garden instead of the GCPD rooftop.
    That's the one I'm talking about. I remember it being in his yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    So I'm loving the show Harlequin and I love it's take on the various and after seeing the latest episode I can't help but wonder if Batman would really listen to Jim's relationship problems and do you think he'd take the bat signal away if Jim got too emotional?
    I like to think he would. The main continuity Jim is obviously super different from HQ Jim. I don't know if regular Jim would confide in Batman on personal matters on a regular basis. But at this point, the two have been through hell together. I feel like listening to his old friend vent about his troubles is the least Bruce could do given all Jim has done for him.
    And yeah the Harley Quinn show is great.

I think Batman would take the time to listen to Jim if he felt he could and there wasn't a pressing emergency. He cares about Jim, Jim is one of his closest friends in his own way, so I think he'd be concerned if something was going on with Jim.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

During the "No man's land" saga it happened something like that, particularly in the story "Falling back" from "No man's land vol. 4" they had a very touching dialogue, even if it was Jim who pushed away Batman because he thought he was used and in a certain way also mocked (when Bruce was substituted by Azrael firs and Nightwing then) by Batman, so yes, not only Bruce would listen Jim's personal problems, but he already did.

Sure, here's a moment from Batman: Turning Points after Gordon's wife left him https://imgur.com/a/ONuuSUp

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    That's the one I'm talking about. I remember it being in his yard.
    Yeah! There was that one issue where he's removing the cowl on the cover. Forget the number or the name but yeah that one. That's the main one, really.

But they have some other good ones after Officer Down... I liked Gordon as the criminology professor at Gotham State, still in touch with Batman and helping but more mentor-y. I think maybe somewhere at the end of Fugitive they solved a case together.

I also liked the potential of Commissioner Michael Akins but he was basically erased by One Year Later. I still think it's more fun overall if Jim Gordon is not Commissioner in a status quo so there can be a more adversarial role with the police.

I'm sure he wouldn't even have the time or patience to listen to Jim's sex problems like in the Harley cartoon but if he was complaining about Barbara being out all night or not seeing him enough he'd listen to that

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I love the B:TAS episode "Holiday Knights" where Batman meets up with Gordon every New Years' Eve to just chat over a cup of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    I'm sure he wouldn't even have the time or patience to listen to Jim's sex problems like in the Harley cartoon but if he was complaining about Barbara being out all night or not seeing him enough he'd listen to that
    There are some things even best friends don't want to touch with a 5ft pole .

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I love the B:TAS episode "Holiday Knights" where Batman meets up with Gordon every New Years' Eve to just chat over a cup of coffee.
    The best!

Big fan of superheroes getting coffee, usually just Spider-Man but I liked when DickBats did that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    There are some things even best friends don't want to touch with a 5ft pole .
    Tbf it wasnt so much "I cant **** my wife" as "Our relationship is having issues which you can plainly see when we're intimate"

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Yeah of course. Gordon is Batman's friend, he'd be there for him 100%- even if it's behind the mask.