Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Would you want to see a comic adaptation of George Lucas's scripts for VII-IX??

So apparently he had drafts written that Disney threw out and I know they did this with his original drafts and I thought it was kind of interesting see how much changed. Would anyone else be interested in reading something like this? Do you think it would ever happen?

51xqcTCnO6L._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Might be interesting. Would it happen? Don't know. They don't exactly publish much non-canon stuff outside of kids books these days.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Empty is thy hand!

I'd be curious to read what he had planned, but Lucas probably wants to keep it to himself at this point.

The "world of midichlorians" stuff sounds so out there and far removed from the originals, but on the other hand a lot of people still feel that way about the prequels for superficial reasons, and it would be interesting to see how it all links up.

BANNED

I doubt Lucas' drafts for the ST were as detailed as the drafts from the OT. If they had been, then Lucas probably had enough of a story there to make the movies himself. And if Lucas had a story, he would have made the ST himself, without question.

I've read Rinzler's comics of the original draft and if you read it you can sort of get the story and the direction that Lucas was going towards. Some of the characters there are clearly stuff he later split into two and so on. So he had the material and the stuff he needed, he just needed to, in Michelangelo's words, "cut out everything that isn't A New Hope".

If the drafts for the ST were anywhere as detailed, I for one would be extremely surprised.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I doubt Lucas' drafts for the ST were as detailed as the drafts from the OT. If they had been, then Lucas probably had enough of a story there to make the movies himself. And if Lucas had a story, he would have made the ST himself, without question.

I've read Rinzler's comics of the original draft and if you read it you can sort of get the story and the direction that Lucas was going towards. Some of the characters there are clearly stuff he later split into two and so on. So he had the material and the stuff he needed, he just needed to, in Michelangelo's words, "cut out everything that isn't A New Hope".

If the drafts for the ST were anywhere as detailed, I for one would be extremely surprised.
    Not sure how detailed they were, but I believe Lucas actually got as far as having concept art for Luke Skywalker drawn up.

When he was still developing the concept for the OT, the Whills were a transcendent alien race who viewed the story from a less flawed perspective than the human protagonists. I do kind of wonder if R2-D2 would have been plugged into that role. You could easily imagine Lucas having R2-D2 telling the story of the Skywalkers to future generations long after they passed, since he was the only character to observe most of the events and never have his memory wiped.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Not sure how detailed they were, but I believe Lucas actually got as far as having concept art for Luke Skywalker drawn up.
    Concept art for one character is still too early. ANH was farther along by comparison.

When he was still developing the concept for the OT, the Whills were a transcendent alien race who viewed the story from a less flawed perspective than the human protagonists. I do kind of wonder if R2-D2 would have been plugged into that role. You could easily imagine Lucas having R2-D2 telling the story of the Skywalkers to future generations long after they passed, since he was the only character to observe most of the events and never have his memory wiped.
    As time went on, Lucas felt more comfortable implying that rather than stating it outright.

Which you know, he does like to do more than he's given credit for. For instance, in ROTS, he made the earlier drafts where Palpatine outright tells Anakin he created him, much more ambiguous in the final version with Darth Plagueis the Wise. It's heavily implied of course but there's an ambiguous menace there that works better.

Absolutely! I'd love to read anything Star Wars by George Lucas.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

According to some the original outline for not only the sequel trilogy but the prequels and ROTJ was kind of different, with ROTJ sort of ending on a cliffhanger like ESB with Han dead, Leia in charge of the rebels and Luke going on a new path. In a few ways the sequel trilogy we got is fairly similar, although presumably it would've started production much sooner, and Luke would probably be the main character. It would've involved a search for his Sister (Who wasn't Leia) and finally confronting the Emperor at the end (Vader would still die in ROTJ though).

There's not too many details beyond some of that though.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    According to some the original outline for not only the sequel trilogy but the prequels and ROTJ was kind of different, with ROTJ sort of ending on a cliffhanger like ESB with Han dead, Leia in charge of the rebels and Luke going on a new path.
    That's not quite the case. Lucas originally thought that the movies could extent to multiple episodes with each episode directed by a new director and the plot expanding. But the problem was logistics.
    -- Most of the directors Lucas wanted (Lynch, Cronenberg, Spielberg) turned him down or were unavailable because of him leaving the DGA and so on. So Lucas had to produce the movies and oversee it while hiring journeymen like Kershner and Marquand to help him out. It worked with Kershner but less so with Marquand (who was incredibly unpopular with the cast).
    -- In the case of Han Solo, Harrison Ford didn't want to do the movies in perpetuity and he had to be dragged kicking and screaming into ESB. The entire carbonite thing was added in as a backdoor to either kill Han offscreen or to bring him back if Ford said yes.
    -- There was also the issue of Mark Hamill's accident. That didn't affect anything much but Lucas got scared about the possibility of not being able to keep his cast for multiple movies, and realizing that he needed to give closure to the main leads of Star Wars while he still could.

Those were issues before ROTJ. Once that was settled, ROTJ was planned and conceived as a finale. The idea of ROTJ ending with Han dead, and Luke going off was proposed by Kasdan and others during the writing stage, and even Ford was interested in it, but Lucas nixed it. He felt that ending the movie any other way would upset the tone of the series.

So there was never a hard plan in ROTJ to kill Han. There were stuff added in to suggest it in case Ford said no or backed out but that was never considered.

Ultimate Member

After the Phantom Menace/Attack of the Clones/midichlorians/Jar Jar Binks/whiny Anakin complains about sand/etc. I think the blush has come off that rose, and I'm over my Lucas nostalgia.

I sure would be curious to take a look at it.

I thought we got that with Dark Empire? Wasn't that based on his ideas for the ST prior to RotJ?

I know he wrote some treatments for script ptiches during and after the sale. But how complete were they? Gl made it sound like they were outlines.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I thought we got that with Dark Empire? Wasn't that based on his ideas for the ST prior to RotJ?

I know he wrote some treatments for script ptiches during and after the sale. But how complete were they? Gl made it sound like they were outlines.
    They were. There were some character ideas and concepts there. Like apparently Luke Skywalker was supposed to be exiled and totally bald and even more off-grid than he was in TLJ. But there were no ideas for story and plot.

IF it was anything more detailed Lucas would have made the movie.

There was also the first EU novel "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" which, although not a sequel trilogy film, was intended as a possible alternate sequel to Star Wars if it didn't make as much money. It also got a comic adaptation in the 90's when Dark Horse was starting to do comic adaptations of some of the novels.

Some of the concepts from the film such as the force/Jedi/Lightsabers having connections with crystals and the planet Mimban have made their way into current canon. It also has a scene of Leia wielding a lightsaber, which is kind of interesting considering what happens later.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Sure, why not. It might even be a big hit, luring in some SW fans who don't normally buy/read comics. Especially if you can get a good writer to tweak some of the bad dialogue Lucas tends to write.