Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    195

    Default Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe

    First off, my main reason for posting is an announcement. Some of you may recall the Who Watches the Watchers sub-forum devoted to the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe and similar works, which started in Comixfan until that site closed, moved to CxPulp until that site closed, and moved again to Capes (Optional) until that site crashed in 2018. Well, we're coming back again, this time as an independent forum which will hopefully keep us alive a lot longer this time around. Our new location is https://whowatchesthewatchers.boardhost.com/index.php and we're gradually moving the old threads over. Come join us for the first time or welcome back to the fold.

    Now, I don't want to do a promotion post and not actually contribute here. So... what is your favourite Handbook run? Me: The hardcovers from 2008-2010 are the peak era for me, the most in depth of all the profiles. I do however have a lot of affection for the Deluxe Edition from the 1980s as well though, which had a great layout, and nice 1/4 page sub-entries of minor characters.

  2. #2
    Mighty Member Lonewolf36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy E. Nystrom View Post
    First off, my main reason for posting is an announcement. Some of you may recall the Who Watches the Watchers sub-forum devoted to the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe and similar works, which started in Comixfan until that site closed, moved to CxPulp until that site closed, and moved again to Capes (Optional) until that site crashed in 2018. Well, we're coming back again, this time as an independent forum which will hopefully keep us alive a lot longer this time around. Our new location is https://whowatchesthewatchers.boardhost.com/index.php and we're gradually moving the old threads over. Come join us for the first time or welcome back to the fold.

    Now, I don't want to do a promotion post and not actually contribute here. So... what is your favourite Handbook run? Me: The hardcovers from 2008-2010 are the peak era for me, the most in depth of all the profiles. I do however have a lot of affection for the Deluxe Edition from the 1980s as well though, which had a great layout, and nice 1/4 page sub-entries of minor characters.
    I followed it through all it's incarnation and im extremely happy to see the return! I shall head over and join up!

  3. #3
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    9,510

    Default

    Did anyone pick up the recent hardcover that reprinted ... I think the 1980s Deluxe version?
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  4. #4
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Did anyone pick up the recent hardcover that reprinted ... I think the 1980s Deluxe version?
    If it was a hardcover it may have been the Omnibus that reprinted the first series. I passed on it because I have both the originals and the Essential volume.

  5. #5
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    I followed it through all it's incarnation and im extremely happy to see the return! I shall head over and join up!
    Glad you found this. We've had a placeholder Facebook group for a while (roughly two months after Capes (Optional) crashed), but not everyone's on Facebook and those who are may not know to look for us there.

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member Gaastra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,386

    Default

    If it was a hardcover it may have been the Omnibus that reprinted the first series. I passed on it because I have both the originals and the Essential volume.
    Yeah but this ones in color and has extras. Near mint does a review here. Yes it has the rom the spacenight pages!


  7. #7
    Extraordinary Member Phoenixx9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    5,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy E. Nystrom View Post
    First off, my main reason for posting is an announcement. Some of you may recall the Who Watches the Watchers sub-forum devoted to the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe and similar works, which started in Comixfan until that site closed, moved to CxPulp until that site closed, and moved again to Capes (Optional) until that site crashed in 2018. Well, we're coming back again, this time as an independent forum which will hopefully keep us alive a lot longer this time around. Our new location is https://whowatchesthewatchers.boardhost.com/index.php and we're gradually moving the old threads over. Come join us for the first time or welcome back to the fold.

    Now, I don't want to do a promotion post and not actually contribute here. So... what is your favourite Handbook run? Me: The hardcovers from 2008-2010 are the peak era for me, the most in depth of all the profiles. I do however have a lot of affection for the Deluxe Edition from the 1980s as well though, which had a great layout, and nice 1/4 page sub-entries of minor characters.
    Glad to see you here, Andy.

    I have missed everyone!! I will certainly join up at the new site!

    My favorite was the Duluxe Editions.

  8. #8
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    195

    Default

    I'll take a look at the video in a bit. The Essential vesrions also have the Rom pages, thankfully. Glad to have nyou back, Phoenixx9.

  9. #9
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    will we ever get a new one or have they moved past this?

  10. #10
    Death of Time Cronus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    The Wild West
    Posts
    944

    Default

    I wonder, has their been a revision for the Silver Surfer's bio in TOHOTMU that corroborates the bio on Marvel.com, specifically the part on hyperspace? TOHOTMU is incorrect.
    "I know you're in there Banner. I'll get you out!"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Would you give a guy a foot massage?"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "You said clear."
    "I said it looks clear."
    "Well what's it look like now?"
    "Looks clear."

  11. #11
    Extraordinary Member Phoenixx9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    5,578

    Default

    A lot of characters have changed since the last books came out, while many new characters have been introduced. A new series to cover these changes would be ideal.

  12. #12

    Default

    how many volumes of the black/white Essential reprints are there?

  13. #13
    Sun of the Mourning Montressor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    782

    Default

    I have every Handbook Marvel has ever produced on my phone, and I love the books. As a kid these things were the ultimate, and while DC's Who's Who was also fun I just preferred Marvel's more 'serious' approach. Wait--no, I don't have the GI Joe or Transformers Handbooks, as I had no interest in those, but I got the Conan one. Great stuff.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

    http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

  14. #14
    Extraordinary Member Phoenixx9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    5,578

    Default

    I think 2020 or 2021 would be a perfect time for some new HC OHOTMU editions to come out with updates for the characters requiring them, which is many and for all the new characters who have never been profiled before.

  15. #15
    Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kuna, Idaho
    Posts
    1,092

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    how many volumes of the black/white Essential reprints are there?
    First line reprints both the `83 and `86 editions; volume 1 has the `83 in its entirety. 2 and 3 are the Deluxe Editions.
    Update `89 got it's own single volume.
    The Master Edition got its own three-volume set.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •