Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I loved those books.
    Unfortunately I'm french and we only had a few of them.
    And the english version is... quite difficult to read because of those accursed feet and lbs.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andy E. Nystrom View Post
    First off, my main reason for posting is an announcement. Some of you may recall the Who Watches the Watchers sub-forum devoted to the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe and similar works, which started in Comixfan until that site closed, moved to CxPulp until that site closed, and moved again to Capes (Optional) until that site crashed in 2018. Well, we're coming back again, this time as an independent forum which will hopefully keep us alive a lot longer this time around. Our new location is https://whowatchesthewatchers.boardhost.com/index.php and we're gradually moving the old threads over. Come join us for the first time or welcome back to the fold.

Now, I don't want to do a promotion post and not actually contribute here. So... what is your favourite Handbook run? Me: The hardcovers from 2008-2010 are the peak era for me, the most in depth of all the profiles. I do however have a lot of affection for auto clicker the Deluxe Edition from the 1980s as well though, which had a great layout, and nice 1/4 page sub-entries of minor characters.
    I have every Handbook Marvel has ever produced on my phone, and I love the books. As a kid these things were the ultimate, and while DC's Who's Who was also fun I just preferred Marvel's more 'serious' approach. Wait--no, I don't have the GI Joe or Transformers Handbooks, as I had no interest in those, but I got the Conan one. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaTo View Post
    I have every Handbook Marvel has ever produced on my phone, and I love the books. As a kid these things were the ultimate, and while DC's Who's Who was also fun I just preferred Marvel's more 'serious' approach. Wait--no, I don't have the GI Joe or Transformers Handbooks, as I had no interest in those, but I got the Conan one. Great stuff.
    You some kind of weirdo?
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post
    First line reprints both the `83 and `86 editions; volume 1 has the `83 in its entirety. 2 and 3 are the Deluxe Editions.
    Update `89 got it's own single volume.
    The Master Edition got its own three-volume set.
    Actually, the Deluxe edition had three volumes separate from the original series. It's also worth noting that the Master Edition, rather than going by publication order, reshuffled the entries into alphabetical order with the covers appearing in volume one, and a list of which issue each entry originally came from in volume three.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    will we ever get a new one or have they moved past this?
    Actually, a Handbook for the Empyre event is coming out in April (Loki, the thread starter is one of the writers): https://whowatchesthewatchers.boardh...pic.php?id=235

They've been infrequent the past few years but they have been trickling out. Since they started slowing down, 2014 had Avengers Now, 2015 had Secret Wars, 2015-2017 had MCU based Guidebooks (not quite as good as the main handbooks but still nice to see some of the movie and TV characters profiled), 2016 had All-New All Different Marvel Universe, and 2018 had Spider-Geddon.
    Adminstrator,
    Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works
    https://whowatchesthewatchers.boardhost.com/index.php

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andy E. Nystrom View Post
    First off, my main reason for posting is an announcement. Some of you may recall the Who Watches the Watchers sub-forum devoted to the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe and similar works, which started in Comixfan until that site closed, moved to CxPulp until that site closed, and moved again to Capes (Optional) until that site crashed in 2018. Well, we're coming back again, this time as an independent forum which will hopefully keep us alive a lot longer this time around. Our new location is https://whowatchesthewatchers.boardhost.com/index.php and we're gradually moving the old threads over. Come join us for the first time or welcome back to the fold.

Now, I don't want to do a promotion post and not actually contribute here. So... what is your favourite Handbook run? Me: The hardcovers from 2008-2010 are the peak era for me, the most in depth of all the profiles. I do however have a lot of affection for the Deluxe Edition from the 1980s as well though, which had a great layout, and nice 1/4 page sub-entries of minor characters.

I started with the 2004 onward era of handbooks and I've loved the series ever since. I look forward to more handbooks in the future. Everyone does great work on these things, so thanks for all the effort you all put in!