Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Debut Character of the Year

We all know that every new writer likes to spoil us with brand new characters. Sometimes because it really fits the story, but also just crating new characters because they want to make their mark and sometimes they better did not introduce their new characters at all cough-Major X-cough. But since some of these, were seen during Powers of X, like Cardinal, Librarian, Rasputin and Nimrod the Lesser, or were just created for Age of X-Man, like Unveil and Moneta, we might not see them again. Which in some cases would be sad. Ages ago, during Age of Apocalypse, they had created a character I loved and never saw again: Switchback. She was awesome as well, but never got a version in the current dimension. So the same might happen to those new characters. But,... the number 3 of this year though, we might see again in 2020. I really hope so. Last years winner and number 2 were both spotted this year in a minor roles: Trinary and Xandra. Runner-up for debuts of 2019 is Cylobel .

Number 3
    With 17 points and two times voted as someones number one
    Debut3.JPG
    The Summoner

A strange new character that we will probably find out more about in 2020. The Summers encountered the “Summoner” in UXM and according to the back-matter, of that issue Summoners are capable of drawing forth extra-dimensional beings from beyond the Otherworld – which is a key aspect of Excalibur. Also the Summoner meets with Apocalypse, and we find out one of his First Horsemen, War, is the mother of Summoner. Those First Horsemen have been speculated about as well, so we will have to wait and see how this all fits together.

Number 2
    With 47 points and 9 times voted as #1
    Debut2.JPG
    Nimrod, the Lesser

Nimrod was an emotional-less robot creature from the future, This year a future version of the well known Nimrod is quite different 100 years from now. This one is a bit chubby and is really cruel, but... also has a humorous behavior. He is sometimes acting like an adolescent. As off the very first appearance, people love the villain who killed Cylobel in a very cruel way and some here wanna have a little stuffed Nimrod. As that timeline should no longer exist, I think the changes of seeing him again are slim, but you never know, as we had several AoA follow ups in the past, we might still see Nimmy again.

NUMBER 1
    With 85 points and 17 times votes as number one.
    Debut1.JPG
    Rasputin

Even before PoX began, people loved Rasputin, just by the way she looked. Rasputin and some others of that time, are unlike the mutants of today's MU. She is a Chimera, the third generation of designer mutants bred by Mr. Sinister and was made to inherit the metamorphic abilities of her namesake, Colossus. Kitty Pryde’s DNA is also in the mixand her telepathic gifts come from Quentin Quire, finally she also has X-23’s healing factor and Unus the Untouchable’s forcefield. So,... that makes her a strong character and we loved her battle against future Sentinels. And even though she died, we hope and pray to see her again.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    The Summoner[/B]
    A strange new character that we will probably find out more about in 2020. The Summers encountered the “Summoner” in UXM and according to the back-matter, of that issue Summoners are capable of drawing forth extra-dimensional beings from beyond the Otherworld – which is a key aspect of Excalibur. Also the Summoner meets with Apocalypse, and we find out one of his First Horsemen, War, is the mother of Summoner. Those First Horsemen have been speculated about as well, so we will have to wait and see how this all fits together.
    See, this was my biggest issue with the X-Men book. You don't leave this kind of weirdness dangling and pick it up after 10 months and not be shocked when people be like "Oh yeah, sorry I was distracted by Krakoa humping something"

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    See, this was my biggest issue with the X-Men book. You don't leave this kind of weirdness dangling and pick it up after 10 months and not be shocked when people be like "Oh yeah, sorry I was distracted by Krakoa humping something"
    As a reader of Claremont's X-Men since the 80's...I'm very used to that mode of storytelling whereby plots are seeded with sub-plots and sub-sub plots.
    Indeed, I still do appreciate that slow, methodical unfolding of plots to the instantaneous revelations and endings we have now, as they give me something to look forward to and keep me interested and yes, hanging on.
    Of course, with fast-paced publication schedules and the internet, the wait is nowhere as seemingly interminable as it was back in the day.

Edit:
    Master of Sound...I believe you may have posted the Comeback of the Year results in the wrong thread...the Questions You want Answered.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 01-13-2020 at 10:10 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Comeback of the Year

A NEW CATEGORY THIS YEAR. We saw so many heroes and villains make a comeback, that I decided it needs an own X-Books Award. They were amongst the dead, or were in limbo for years and they came back in a big way. We saw Cyclops, Pyro, Moira and Candra return from the dead and also saw the brutal side of a dead villain in a previous life of Moira. We saw Kwannon return after we thought she was gone forever, she ended up as runner-up and then there were many brought back during and after HoX/PoX. What I was really amazed about is that for years Sage was in the Most Missed Characters top 3 and now that she returned, she received only a few votes. Guess her come-back was unimpressive. The most favorite comebacks were:

Number 3
    With 24 points and 4 number 1 voters.
    Attachment 91583
    Destiny

Well, she did not really came bck, as she is still deceased. But she did play a role in the 3rd life of Moira X. Where she demanded Pyro to burn her alive. We never saw Destiny as really an evil villain, even though she was part of a team of villains. But she now showed she is indeed more brutal than anyone ever saw her before. Now Mystique is demanding the resurrection of her former lover, buy Moira and Xavier decided they will not. We will see how that ends, as Mystique won't accept their lies for sure.

Number 2
    Receiving 3 most favorite votes and collecting 26 points
    Attachment 91584
    Cyclops

Yeah Cyclops was missed by many and this year he came back from the land of the dead. When he came back, almost all X-Men had been (semingly) killed by Nate Grey and Cyke went looking for any living mutants. Then came PoX, HoX and DoX in which he was field leader once more and now the main captain of the Counsel. Glad to have you back Scott.

NUMBER 1
    Receiving 87 points and 18 number 1 votes
    Attachment 91586
    Moira (X) MacTaggert

She did make a major comeback like we have rarely seen before. The biggest shining start of 2020. Sh now residents on a Krakoa at a spot no one has visited yet and only known to Xavier and Magneto (at least as far as we know). There have been some teasing about an upcoming title in which she will shine. Though were barely know anything about that. It could be a min, or an ongoing. It might be a solo, or a team book. Soon we will find out and will be able to read more about the current life of Moira X.
    Last edited by Master of Sound; 01-14-2020 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post

Edit:
    Master of Sound...I believe you may have posted the Comeback of the Year results in the wrong thread...the Questions You want Answered.
    Thanks for your heads up. Anduinel too!!!
    Last edited by Master of Sound; 01-14-2020 at 03:22 AM.

The comments in the losing categories are killing me.

tenor.jpg

I hope Liefield sees what you wrote and gets angry.

Post will be updated
    Attached Images Attached Images

Favorite Mutant on the Cast of a non-X-book

Usually there are more participants in this category, but some of the mutants who were part of the Avengers last year, like Rogue (who won this award last year) Cannonball and Sunspot, are no longer part of that franchise and also former Alpha Flight members did not appear anymore on the Captain Marvel series. So there were only a few, but enough to make this great top 3. Runner-up is Franklin Richards (Fantastic Four), who will play an important role in 2020.

Number 3
    With 29 points and 3 number 1 votes
    NonX3.JPG
    Namor in Invaders

Namor is no longer with the X-Men and gosh, I do miss him. This year Namor lost and eventually regains his senses and the sea king restored to full power and quickly delved back into his monstrous tendencies. Thanks to Captain America Namor promised to make good on it now. As Krakoa is an island, why not restore his connection with the X-Men? He can protect the shores of the island, right? Ane let's be honest he deserves a spot on the counsel way more than Mystique or Exodus. Let us hope that happens in 2020.

Number 2
    With 34 points and 6 X #1 votes
    NonX2.JPG
    Molly Hayes, aka Bruiser in Runaways

Doc Justice has created a Runaways x J-Team hybrid of the Runaways family. Molly has actually taken more of a backseat role in the 2019 issues of Runaways. Not getting a lot of developments, but enough jokes and fun moment where Bruiser always is good at. In the last issues the Runaways became part of Team J and each got an awesome new costume, all in the same colors. It is a shame they did decide to loose her hat, because that was really Molly's unique style. I would like to see that Molly is approached to join all other m utants on Krakoa. She does not need to join, just would like to read how she would respond.

NUMBER 1
    With 38 points and 6 number 1 votes
    nonX1.JPG
    Dust in the Champions

During the days of Disassembled, it seemed the X-Men had all died. Sooraya did not join them in their final battle and found herself being harassed at an anti-mutant protest at Worthington Industries. When the Champions came to diffuse the situation, she allied herself with them. After Cyclops came to help the Champions oine they, he vouched for her and she became an official member. We already saw she will remain playing a role within the team this year.

Guest Star of the Year

The X-Men do have friends in the MU who will turn up to help in a fight, date them, drink with them or to criticize them and tell them how to do things. This year the X-Men did not have a lot of guest appearances of heroes or villains from other corners of the Marvel Universe, as they were mostly in their own corner in 2019. The ones that stood out most were:

Number 3
    With only 11 points and once voted as #1
    guest3.JPG
    Cap A, Black Widow and Wintersoldier in Uncanny X-Men

I think this one got to number 3 as a lack to better/more candidates in this category. Personally I was all that impressed about their appearance as we barely really noticed and it did not add much to a story. Hope people who voted for this will not get angry with me. I had looked for a picture of the guest appearance online, but gave up after 20 minutes searching, sorry.

Number 2
    With 41 points and 7 number 1 votes.
    guest2.JPG
    Batroc

This is the first time a guest performance of a villain from another corner of the Marvel Universe made it into the top 3 and I am loving it! Batroc is mostly known for being a Captain America villain. Batroc is an experienced thief and smuggler who was born in France, as a mercenary, he does not hesitate to perform any number of criminal acts for his clients, Batroc has a strong sense of honor. It was great fun to see him fight against the Marauders and I will never forget his kick towards Storm. It was not the first time he appeared in an X-book though. In the Serve & Protect mini series (2011), there was a short story where he did fight against Fantomex. Personally I hope to see more villains from other MU corners guest appear in 2020.

NUMBER 1
    With 83 points and 19 X #1 votes
    GUEST1.JPG
    Fantastic Four in House of X

A big promise for things to come, we know now. The confrontation between The FF and Cyclops was impressive and the remark Scott made towards Sue and Reed, just before he took of, was really provoking and now it turns out that the X-Men are ready to welcome Franklin on Krakoa soon. The FF and X-Men have most of the times on good terms, but this guest appearance might be a sign to darker times between both teams.
    Last edited by Master of Sound; 01-14-2020 at 08:37 AM.

Death of the Year

Unfortunately every year brings us farewell as well. Last year we were most impressed by the death of good old Cable, being killed of by his younger version. This year I think we saw more X-Men die in a year then ever before. We saw many be killed of in Rosenberg's Uncanny run and quite a few A-listers by Orchis. Only to all be brought back by 'The Five'. Some brand new villains like Captain Erasmus and President Constantin died before we got to know them and they will not be brought back by The Five for sure. But one death stood out most....

Number 3
    With 38 points and five times placed at #1
    Death 3.JPG
    The X-Men Orchis Assault Team

It all started with Captain Erasmus Mendel of Orchis, killing himself while taking the Scout ship with him, which resulted in the death of Archangel and former girlfriend Husk. Soon to be followed by Mystique, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Cyclops, Monet and finally Marvel Girl. I think we were all shocked to see them go and who can forget the tear of Xavier when they did? Good thing The Five now exist, right?

Number 2
    With 45 points and 8 number 1 voters
    Death 2.JPG
    Wolverine and Nightcrawler in HoX #4

As part of the Orchis assault team who were tasked to take out the Mothermold, were long time buddies Kurt and Logan. Who have been friends (and on occasion they might have been between the sheets buddies as well) ever since they both joined the X-Men, they started together and died together while taking the last pillar out, destroying Mothermold succeeded, but with a high price. Well, temporary high price that is.

NUMBER 1
    Receiving 11 number one votes and totally gathering 69 points
    Death 1.JPG
    Moira III burned to death by Pyro

While she was killed by Pyro, it will always feels like Destiny was responsible for killing Moira. Now we know she once tried to kill Senator Kelly, but we never heard such cruel words coming out of that old lady Irene before. We always considered Mystiqe to be the monster evil one of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants (later Freedom Force), but now we know who the real scary dangerous woman was in that team: Destiny.

Most Missed Character

Good news, the 3 most missed characters of last year, all did make their return this year: Cyclops was brought back to live, Surge had a role in the Nightcrawler mini and Sage became a member of the current X-Force run. Our wishes were heard! So there is hope for those who were missed most this year. As always the missing New X-Men score very well in this category. So why do we not get more on them? Also, as the previous years, the heroes score well, but barely anyone misses villains, except for the few points Zaladane and Avalanche received. Runner-up is Danger.

Number 3
    With 23 points and 5 people set him on #1
    Missed 3.JPG
    Indra.

Paras Gavaskar, aka Indra was a background characrter for years, without any development, until Mike Carey took over the X-Men Legacy series and he focused in on Indra, which turned out to have a quite unique personality and we learned more not only about him, his family, religion and personality, we also learned more about how his powers work. Unfortunately with the departure of Mike Carey, the focus on Paras faded. In 2019 he only featured on 1 panel and so far, there is no reason to believe the tables will turn for Indra. At least on this board he is not yet forgotten.

Number 2
    Also receiving 5 times a number one vote and collected 24 points
    Missed 2.JPG
    Madelyne Pryor

Madelyne did have several combacks over the years, Madelyne, aka Maddie, aka Goblin QWueen, aka Red Queen was last seen as leader of the Sisterhood and then we saw another version of Maddie make it to the MU, from Secret Wars. So there could actually 2 Madelynes as I remember correctly. Wonder if and when she will return. With her 'daddy'' Mr. Sinister and her 'toyboy' Empath playing both an important role in the upcoming Hellions series, she might pop up any moment in 2020.

NUMBER 1
    With 29 points and 6 number 1 votes
    Missed 1.JPG
    Wind dancer.

Sofia Elizabeth Mantega, also known as former New Warrior Renascence and formerly known as Wind Dancer, student at the Xavier Academy has been missing in action for more than a decade now. Last seen in 2008 in New Warriors Sofia a long time missing former team mate of Elixir, Prodigy and Icarus. Though she apparently kept the New Warriors tech after the team disbanded, we never saw her reappear. She always does wquite well in the Most Missed Category, but this is the first time she took the award home. Hope there will be a good reason not to vote for her for this year.

Most Bizarre Moment of the Year (the Rouge Mort Trophy)

There are those moments from 2019 that left you as a reader, shaking your head, and reading it something again, and again, to believe it actually happened. Sometimes it caused a popping sound to occur in your cerebral cortex, they were so weird, you just cannot believe it. This year I myself had that moment when Shogo became a talking dragon, or hippy Nate Grey? Some loved it, but many did not. What about Storm and Cable did 'the thing' in the 90's that we never knew about and gave birth to the popular new character, Major X? Well, there was more and these 3 moments were the most bizarre of all.

Number 3
    With 29 points and 5 number 1 votes
    Bizarre3.JPG
    Goldballs making Eggs

Last year one of the most bizarre moment was that the daughter of Xavier and Lilandra hatch from an egg. Well, they seem to have noticced, bacause now, every reborn mutant hatch from an egg. Those eggs are the golden balls from Goldballs! Fabio will now also change his code-name to Egg, which according to Betsy, won't stick and I feel the same. But at least he has some use to have around now. Only thing what Egg needs now, is a good costume.

Number 2
    With 5 people giving it the highest vote, getting a total of 30 points
    Bizarre2.JPG
    Storm and Cable were a thing in the 90's! (did 'make' a child, Major X)

The older readers do know that back in the 90's there were some minor flirtations between Cable and Storm, but it was never confirmed they ever took it a bit further. Now two decades later it is revealed they did way more than flirt, they even made a baby, who will become Major X one day. I bet each and very woman would like to know where Ororo bought her pregnancy clothing, because nobody ever noticed during those years she was carrying offspring. Neither did we.

NUMBER 1
    With 34 points and 4 times a number 1 vote.
    Bizarre1.JPG
    Rosenberg keeps on killing X_Men

Banshee, Triage, Warlox, Strongguy, Havok, Velocidad, Chamber, Woflsbane, Blindfold, Sunspot, Loa and very likely Juggernaut and Magik as well. Maybe I am even forgetting one or two. The first were a shock, but then it seemed to be a slapstick. But then in almost every issue Rosenberg wrote,he killed of an X-Man. Besides that he also brought back an awful lot of villains from the dead, just to kill them off again. Glad to see that Dawn of X will undo all these unnecessary murders. Though, some might stick, as we have not yet see the return of the youngsters who died.

All-New Member

Is too late to vote on the remaining categories?

Quote Originally Posted by Margarito View Post
    Is too late to vote on the remaining categories?
    Yes, I am sorry, but that is not possible anymore.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Yes, I am sorry, but that is not possible anymore.
    Ok, thanks bro