Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Default Results X-Books Awards 2019

Here we go, the revelations of who were the most (and sometimes least) popular in 2019.

Many more than the previous years have voted, so let me start to say thank you to all those who put in the time and effort to vote.

As usual, it took quite some time to do this, but I loved it!

Here we go....
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================

Favorite Ongoing X-Title of the Year

This year a few ongoings, like the numbers 2 and 3 of last year, Mr. & Mrs. X and Uncanny X-Men, were cancelled. But after HoX and PoX we were treated with 6 new team books and most of them received a lot of love. There was not one title that did not get any points in this category this this. The solo titles did not receive more than 10 each tough, so lets wait and see if that will improve in 2020. The winner of last year was X-Men Red. The core book of the new launch of X-books, X-Men, ended on spot 5, which is remarkable, to say the least. Runner up this year is for Excalibur.

Number 3
    With 48 points and 5 times a #1 vote

New Mutants.JPG
    The new launch of New Mutants as part of Dawn of X was well received. Though some did not love the story of the younger kids. But Sunspot is now living up to his potencial as leader, taking long time New Mutants members Moonstar, now once more going by code-name Mirage, Cypher, Magik, Karma and Wolfsbane, together with former Gen X members Mondo and Chamber with him to space., looking for Cannonball. The story continues in 2020.

Number 2
    With 55 points and 8 times voted as #1

Marauders.JPG
    A fmilair name for a villain team, but this band of Marauders has nothing to do with Scalphunter, Arclight, Vertigo or Prism. Nope, this is the brushed off version of Kitty Pryde, leading a boat of mutant pirates over the oceans. The new Red Queen, now wants to be called Kate, became unpopular leading the Gold X-Men last year, but the new look and additude is loved by many. That with the rest of the crew, brought this series to spot 2.

NUMBER 1
    With 64 votes and 13 X voted as #1

X-Force.JPG
    Not the core Dawn of X: X-Men made it into the top 5. Which is actually shocking. But that title is now getting a bit more applause with their 1st issue in 2020, so they might do better the coming year. Nope, the X-Force title by Percy & Cassara brought back long missing characters like Sage and Black Tom, together with A-listers Marvel-Girl, Colossus Beast and Wolverine, added with Kid Omega and Domino and that turns out to be an awesome team of mutants for this Black-Ops team. It brought us beheaded QQ, the death of Xavier, the stripping of Domino's skin and a peacock themed villain. Let's hope the goodness continues.
    Last edited by Master of Sound; 01-10-2020 at 05:31 AM.

Least Favorite Ongoing X-Title of the Year

Besides loving, we also dislike some of the ongoings that have been published in 2019. Like every year, some of the voters did not want to vote for least favorites, as they wanted to stay positive, I do like that positive attitude! The most disliked title was actually number 3 last year in the Favorites section, but Rosenberg seemed to have ruined that positive vibe. Number 2 was already cancelled and the number 3 spot is for a title that is currently on hiatus and since we know 2 out of the 3 core cast members are on upcoming series, it might be it will not return. The new core X-Men book was our runner up this year. Let's hope they will improve. Last year's number one, was X-Men Gold. That one got cancelled. Runner up in this category is the current X-Men title.

Number 3
    With 32 points and 5 times voted as #1

Fallen Angels.JPG
    The art is a bit disappointing and the villain Apoth is lacking depth. They decided to give Kwannon not only Psylocke's costume, but also her code-name. To me, that proves lack of creativity. Then they added Kid-Cable to the cast and he is not all that popular with many on this forum. Adding X-23 was cool, but she is written out of character. All these bad ingredients, made this DoX title end up in the top 3 of least popular ongoing titles.

Number 2
    With 40 points and 4 times votes as #1

XFO.JPG
    The previous X-Force title of 2019, by Brisson & Burnett, with Kid Cable, Boom Boom, Cannonball Domino and others did not get a lot of love. The art was really bad and the story in it was not all that great as well. Again they used Stryfe and I think Stryfe should be put to rest. He than added some new characters ans his helpers nd they just did not shine at all. Characters to be soon forgotten. Well the book got cancelled anyways and the New X-Force series is the most favorite of 2020.

NUMBER 1
    With 67 points and 13 times votes at #1

UXM.JPG
    For years people wanted the title Uncanny X-Men to return and it finally did. The titles was promising at the very start. It brought back Wolverine and Cyclops, who together did lead some fan favorite X-Men, like Magik, Moonstar and Havok. But then Rosenberg took a wrong turn. He brought back several villains, like Siena Blaze, Fabian Cortes, Nasty Boys, only to kill them an issue later and he did the same with our heroes. He killed Madrox, Strongguy, Wolfsbane, Havok, Velocidad, Loa, Blindfold and on and on. It seemed each issue had at least one murder in it and the story actually leaded to nowhere. This series ended with the coming of HoX/PoX.

Favorite X-One-Shot of the Year

Some of the times we do like self contained stories. Nice 1 issue stories. Of course some are better than others of course. So which one-shot pleased you the most? Well the return of Cyclops was really hyped and for good reasons, as many liked the story. The New Mutants story and some were jut very happy with the Winters End :-) For those taking notes, last winner was the X-Men Black one-shot of Emma Frost and our runner-up in this category is the Giant Size X-Statix one-shot.

Number 3
    With 28 points and 4 times voted as #1
    Winters End.JPG
    WINTERS END

With Teen Iceman gone back with the rest of the O5, we fought we had seen the last for a while of the younger versions. Guess what, we still had Ice-Master, the alternative future Iceman, we paid us a visit.

Number 2
    With 46 points and 10 number 1 votes
    UXM Annual.JPG
    Uncanny X-Men Annual 2019

The moment we all (well most of us) have been looking forward to. Though the return of Wolverine way more hyped, this one we loved as well. Finally Cyclops returned to us and the one-shot telling the story where Kid-Cable took care of our long lost leader came in second.

NUMBER 1
    With 55 points and also 10 times voted as number 1
    New Mutants one-shot.JPG
    New Mutants: War Children

Legendary X-Men writer Chris Claremont, together with legendary New Mutants artist Bill Sienkiewiz reunited to bring us a never told before story of Magik, Wolfsbane, Cannonball, Cypher, Mirage, Magma, and Sunspot. Also Shadowcat had a role in this one-shot. A great tale from the past!

Claremont's one-shots were the best X-stories of the decade pre-Hickman <3

Least Favorite One-Shot of the Year

Like I mentioned before, also in one-shots some are better than others of course. Major X was one big disappointment this year and we will see the reflection of that in this category, as well in others. The return of Rob Leifeld was not appreciated at all. I for a fact was actually looking forward to it, but was disappointed big time and looking at the results I was not the only one. Also Age of X-Man was not received well. It has all the ingredients to be awesome, but the cooks messed up a nice dish. Last year the number one in this category was the Hunt for Wolverine one-shot.

Number 3
    With 20 points and 2 number 1 votes
    AoXM Omega.JPG
    Age of X-Man: OMEGA

The closing of the end was as the event was itself: A bit of a let-down. And with the kind of open end, it left us with the feeling we watched a movie, with a weird ending.

Number 2
    With 25 points and 3 times votes as #1
    AoXM Alpha.JPG
    Age of X-Man: ALPHA

I must admit, I did like the opening arc of Age of X-Man. That one was mot all that bad, if you asked me. But others felt clearly different, or the whole event was just dismissed by most and therefor this one got so many votes.

NUMBER 1
    With 50 points and 12 times voted as number 1
    Major X.JPG
    Major X One-shot

The absolute winner, with double the points of number two. The whole mini-series was bad, but this one-shot was the rotten cherry on a tasteless cake. Rob just doesn't have it anymore. He is still stuck in the 90's. I think none of us want him to return for another Major X episode in 2020. In fact, with all the negativity on this, I doubt we will ever see this character and support cast again.

Mighty Member

Is it too late to vote? I would like to vote too.
    Last edited by ericng; 01-07-2020 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    Is it too late to vote? I would like to vote too.
    It is to late for the revealed items above. If you send me a PM within 2 hours, with your votes on the others, I will include them. You can find the tread here to get the categories.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Dont recall all my voting choices but love that X-force (Percy) got voted best book
    You did have that series as your number one, followed by New Mutants and Marauders, so the same to[p 3, omnly your number 2 and 3 were switched

That's it for today!

Tomorrow the results on Favorite and Least Favorite Storylines, Writers and Artists.

Favorite Story-line of the Year

There were some big surprises this year, that really no one was expecting. The most exciting things happened in the House of X and Powers of X stories of course. Who would have expected this all to happen? No one, that is for sure. Marvel stepped up their X-Men game in 2019 and brought back the love for the merry mutants. All best story-lines of this year com from there. Last years winner was Hate Machine from X-Men Red, the Cassandra Nova story. Runner up for this year is I Am Not Ashamed (House of X #5-6), who actually had the same amount of points as the number 3, but with lesser number one voters.

Number 3
    With 28 points and 7 times votes as #1
    Story+3.JPG
    All Hail the King and Queen of Thieves, Mr. & Mrs. X

Many times b=y the time to vote for these awards, the moments early in the year are quickly forgotten, but not this one. The very last story of the Mr. & Mrs. X series brought us back two old time villains: Candra and Bella Donna and it did feel like an old time story, with Gambit as the big hero, who saves his captured wife and a beautiful role for Spiral.

Number 2
    With 51 points and 9 number one voters
    Story+2.JPG
    Assault on Orchis (HoX #3-4)

House of X does really well in the 2019 Awards and this impressive story made it to the number 2 spot. A team of great X-Men, Archangel, Cyclops, Husk, Marvel-Girl, Wolverine, Mystique, Monet and Nightcrawler go after Orchis to shut down the Mother Mold and they did succeed, but the price was high. Captain Erasmus Mendel of Orchis, killed himself while taking the Scout ship with him and taking two of the assault team with him. The rest of the make an end to Mother Mold, but all died in the end by the hands of Erasmus weeping widow. Though a big surprise came right after....

NUMBER 1
    With 73 points and 14 times voted as number one.
    Story+1.JPG
    The Uncanny live of Moira X

Yeahhh, this was the big unexpected turn in the history of the X-men and will a big landmark for Xavier and his X-Men. Moira is not only alive again, but she has been for many times. She turned out to be a mutant who had lived multiple lives. We get a glimps of each live and how she learned from each of them and this is the base of the current status of the X-Men and mutants in general.Well deserved number 1 spot!
    Last edited by Master of Sound; 01-09-2020 at 02:21 AM.

Least Favorite Story-line of the Year
    We have X-Men that can bring down building, or in the past even planets. Well, with the X-Office, it seemed that before they build up to make the X-books fantastic again, they razed everything to the ground that was realeased before that, before building a better foundation. Good thing that also in this category, all series that contained the least favorites stories, are no longer published.

Number 3
    With 15 points and twice voted as number 1
    Story-3.JPG
    Sins of the Past, X-Force #1-5

Well, we did not like the Kid-Cable, replacing the real thing to start with, but now he got his very own X-Force and his very on fight against Stryfe. We did not like to see the 90's villain Stryfe again, we did not dig his minions, we hated the art and did not like the story one little bit.

Number 2
    With 46 points and receiving 6 times a number 1 vote
    Story-2.JPG
    Disassembled (Uncanny X-Men)

The battle of Legion and X-Man, resulting in Nate taking over Legion and then brainwashed several X-Men to become his Nate's Horsemen of Salvation, all for world-peace and those were the main ingredients of this awful event which we were served. Ending in the apparent death of almost every X-Man. We rarely saw such an unimpressive and out of character villain. Well,... remember Bishop killing Xavier? Anyways, Disassembled might have been a success within the Avengers books, is surely was not for us X-fans.

NUMBER 1
    With 54 points and 11 number one voters
    Story-1.JPG
    This is Forever (Uncanny X-Men)

After Disassembled we saw Cyclops and Wolverine would collect their own band of X-Men, including fan favorites Madrox, Magik and Moonstar. Finally Karma and Wolfsbane became X-Men, only for one being killed off and the other laving the team really quick. Many, many died, many many were written totally out of character (Hope, Magik, Blindfold) and many many of us did not like it a bit.

Favorite Writer of 2019

Good writing makes the reader feel richer when reading. Good writing makes the reader want to read more of it. A good writer part make us anxious and impatient for the next issue to come out. We love a great cliffhanger! Some of the writers really understood their job and brought us unexpected developments, great character developments and made our heart tick faster or melt. These are the writers we want to keep at the X-office! The one that brought us the biggest changes, was most loved. The number 2 and 3 were brought to us with exciting new series. Let's us all hope they will continue to bring us these great stories in 2020. Runner up was last years number 1: Kelly Thompson, for her work on Mr. & Mrs. X. As this series, it's stories, it's main characters and the creative team all did nicely for this election two years in a row, maybe Marvel should relaunch the series?

Number 3
    With 28 points and one #1 voter
    Gerry Duggan.JPG
    Gerry Duggan

For his work on the Dawn of X series Marauders. With Captain 'break a nose' Kate Pryde, leading a boat of mutants across the seas and Hellfire Bay with now not only a black King and White Queen, we now also have a Red Queen and a bishop of each.

Number 2
    With 35 points and 6 number one votes
    Percy.JPG
    Benjamin Percy

Another Dawn of X writer, Benjamin Percy, gave us an awesome new title to look forward to: X-Force! Before that he also wrote a beautiful Wolverine story: Long Night Adaption. But I think most points were for writing a awesome version of X-Force, which became one of the most popular Dawn of X title for now. And... he gave us back Gateway and Sage! Now mister Percy, can you bring back Indra and Danger as well?

NUMBER 1
    With a massive 101 points and 23 number one votes
    Hickman.JPG
    Mister Jonathan Hickman

He surely is the savior of the X-universe! After the X-Men were treated very bad by Marvel for years, making the X-Men series barely reaching top 10 sales anymore, there, after so many dreadful years, there came Jonathan Hickman and even the most critical reviewer applauded his work. House of X and Powers of X made the world change for the X-Men and for us fans. He did it! Now he is writing New Mutants and X-Men. X-Men had a slow start, but now fans love the latest twists and turns and it is gaining on us. And we love his part of the New Mutants writing a lot as well.