Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Default Results X-Books Awards 2019

Here we go, the revelations of who were the most (and sometimes least) popular in 2019.

Many more than the previous years have voted, so let me start to say thank you to all those who put in the time and effort to vote.

As usual, it took quite some time to do this, but I loved it!

Here we go....
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================

Favorite Ongoing X-Title of the Year

This year a few ongoings, like the numbers 2 and 3 of last year, Mr. & Mrs. X and Uncanny X-Men, were cancelled. But after HoX and PoX we were treated with 6 new team books and most of them received a lot of love. There was not one title that did not get any points in this category this this. The solo titles did not receive more than 10 each tough, so lets wait and see if that will improve in 2020. The winner of last year was X-Men Red. The core book of the new launch of X-books, X-Men, ended on spot 5, which is remarkable, to say the least. Runner up this year is for Excalibur.

Number 3
    With 48 points and 5 times a #1 vote

New Mutants.JPG
    The new launch of New Mutants as part of Dawn of X was well received. Though some did not love the story of the younger kids. But Sunspot is now living up to his potencial as leader, taking long time New Mutants members Moonstar, now once more going by code-name Mirage, Cypher, Magik, Karma and Wolfsbane, together with former Gen X members Mondo and Chamber with him to space., looking for Cannonball. The story continues in 2020.

Number 2
    With 55 points and 8 times voted as #1

Marauders.JPG
    A fmilair name for a villain team, but this band of Marauders has nothing to do with Scalphunter, Arclight, Vertigo or Prism. Nope, this is the brushed off version of Kitty Pryde, leading a boat of mutant pirates over the oceans. The new Red Queen, now wants to be called Kate, became unpopular leading the Gold X-Men last year, but the new look and additude is loved by many. That with the rest of the crew, brought this series to spot 2.

NUMBER 1
    With 64 votes and 13 X voted as #1

X-Force.JPG
    Not the core Dawn of X: X-Men made it into the top 5. Which is actually shocking. But that title is now getting a bit more applause with their 1st issue in 2020, so they might do better the coming year. Nope, the X-Force title by Percy & Cassara brought back long missing characters like Sage and Black Tom, together with A-listers Marvel-Girl, Colossus Beast and Wolverine, added with Kid Omega and Domino and that turns out to be an awesome team of mutants for this Black-Ops team. It brought us beheaded QQ, the death of Xavier, the stripping of Domino's skin and a peacock themed villain. Let's hope the goodness continues.
    Last edited by Master of Sound; 01-10-2020 at 05:31 AM.

Least Favorite Ongoing X-Title of the Year

Besides loving, we also dislike some of the ongoings that have been published in 2019. Like every year, some of the voters did not want to vote for least favorites, as they wanted to stay positive, I do like that positive attitude! The most disliked title was actually number 3 last year in the Favorites section, but Rosenberg seemed to have ruined that positive vibe. Number 2 was already cancelled and the number 3 spot is for a title that is currently on hiatus and since we know 2 out of the 3 core cast members are on upcoming series, it might be it will not return. The new core X-Men book was our runner up this year. Let's hope they will improve. Last year's number one, was X-Men Gold. That one got cancelled. Runner up in this category is the current X-Men title.

Number 3
    With 32 points and 5 times voted as #1

Fallen Angels.JPG
    The art is a bit disappointing and the villain Apoth is lacking depth. They decided to give Kwannon not only Psylocke's costume, but also her code-name. To me, that proves lack of creativity. Then they added Kid-Cable to the cast and he is not all that popular with many on this forum. Adding X-23 was cool, but she is written out of character. All these bad ingredients, made this DoX title end up in the top 3 of least popular ongoing titles.

Number 2
    With 40 points and 4 times votes as #1

XFO.JPG
    The previous X-Force title of 2019, by Brisson & Burnett, with Kid Cable, Boom Boom, Cannonball Domino and others did not get a lot of love. The art was really bad and the story in it was not all that great as well. Again they used Stryfe and I think Stryfe should be put to rest. He than added some new characters ans his helpers nd they just did not shine at all. Characters to be soon forgotten. Well the book got cancelled anyways and the New X-Force series is the most favorite of 2020.

NUMBER 1
    With 67 points and 13 times votes at #1

UXM.JPG
    For years people wanted the title Uncanny X-Men to return and it finally did. The titles was promising at the very start. It brought back Wolverine and Cyclops, who together did lead some fan favorite X-Men, like Magik, Moonstar and Havok. But then Rosenberg took a wrong turn. He brought back several villains, like Siena Blaze, Fabian Cortes, Nasty Boys, only to kill them an issue later and he did the same with our heroes. He killed Madrox, Strongguy, Wolfsbane, Havok, Velocidad, Loa, Blindfold and on and on. It seemed each issue had at least one murder in it and the story actually leaded to nowhere. This series ended with the coming of HoX/PoX.

Favorite X-One-Shot of the Year

Some of the times we do like self contained stories. Nice 1 issue stories. Of course some are better than others of course. So which one-shot pleased you the most? Well the return of Cyclops was really hyped and for good reasons, as many liked the story. The New Mutants story and some were jut very happy with the Winters End :-) For those taking notes, last winner was the X-Men Black one-shot of Emma Frost and our runner-up in this category is the Giant Size X-Statix one-shot.

Number 3
    With 28 points and 4 times voted as #1
    Winters End.JPG
    WINTERS END

With Teen Iceman gone back with the rest of the O5, we fought we had seen the last for a while of the younger versions. Guess what, we still had Ice-Master, the alternative future Iceman, we paid us a visit.

Number 2
    With 46 points and 10 number 1 votes
    UXM Annual.JPG
    Uncanny X-Men Annual 2019

The moment we all (well most of us) have been looking forward to. Though the return of Wolverine way more hyped, this one we loved as well. Finally Cyclops returned to us and the one-shot telling the story where Kid-Cable took care of our long lost leader came in second.

NUMBER 1
    With 55 points and also 10 times voted as number 1
    New Mutants one-shot.JPG
    New Mutants: War Children

Legendary X-Men writer Chris Claremont, together with legendary New Mutants artist Bill Sienkiewiz reunited to bring us a never told before story of Magik, Wolfsbane, Cannonball, Cypher, Mirage, Magma, and Sunspot. Also Shadowcat had a role in this one-shot. A great tale from the past!

Claremont's one-shots were the best X-stories of the decade pre-Hickman <3

Least Favorite One-Shot of the Year

Like I mentioned before, also in one-shots some are better than others of course. Major X was one big disappointment this year and we will see the reflection of that in this category, as well in others. The return of Rob Leifeld was not appreciated at all. I for a fact was actually looking forward to it, but was disappointed big time and looking at the results I was not the only one. Also Age of X-Man was not received well. It has all the ingredients to be awesome, but the cooks messed up a nice dish. Last year the number one in this category was the Hunt for Wolverine one-shot.

Number 3
    With 20 points and 2 number 1 votes
    AoXM Omega.JPG
    Age of X-Man: OMEGA

The closing of the end was as the event was itself: A bit of a let-down. And with the kind of open end, it left us with the feeling we watched a movie, with a weird ending.

Number 2
    With 25 points and 3 times votes as #1
    AoXM Alpha.JPG
    Age of X-Man: ALPHA

I must admit, I did like the opening arc of Age of X-Man. That one was mot all that bad, if you asked me. But others felt clearly different, or the whole event was just dismissed by most and therefor this one got so many votes.

NUMBER 1
    With 50 points and 12 times voted as number 1
    Major X.JPG
    Major X One-shot

The absolute winner, with double the points of number two. The whole mini-series was bad, but this one-shot was the rotten cherry on a tasteless cake. Rob just doesn't have it anymore. He is still stuck in the 90's. I think none of us want him to return for another Major X episode in 2020. In fact, with all the negativity on this, I doubt we will ever see this character and support cast again.

Mighty Member

Is it too late to vote? I would like to vote too.
    Last edited by ericng; 01-07-2020 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    Is it too late to vote? I would like to vote too.
    It is to late for the revealed items above. If you send me a PM within 2 hours, with your votes on the others, I will include them. You can find the tread here to get the categories.

Tomorrow: Favorite and Least Favorite mini series, the Favorite and Least Favorite covers of 2019 and Crossovers/Events.

Fully expected UXM to get the Razzie this year. It wasn't just the Rosenberg stuff, but the decompressed disappointment of Dissassembled.

Uncanny was two flops and a half. But now I really want to know what Rosenberg’s initial “darker” ending was.

I have never disagreed with these results more than placing the Uncanny annual as a best one-shot and Age of X-Man Alpha as one of the worst.

Favorite X-Mini Series of 2019

As off last year, I did split the categories one-shots and mini-series in two separate categories and it paid out well. Also this year Marvel released plenty of nice mini series. For those regularly on this board, or on any other comic books sites, it was to be expected that House of X and Powers of X were very well received. Those series both sold really well and that was a welcome change for the X-Books, as before the X-books rarely ended up in the top 10 and now they were on the top of best sold comic books and even-though Age of X-Man was a disappointment to many, at least two of its mini series received many positive comments . The runner-up in this category is one of these two: Prisoner of X, who actually received the same amount of points as the number 3, but that one received more number 1 votes and ties are decided by the amount of number 1 voters they had.

Number 3
    With 16 points and one #1 vote
    Attachment 91296
    X-Tremists

This was obviously the best liked Age of X-Man mini series. It was well written and we loved the cast of fan favorites Northstar, Jubilee and Iceman, what do you expect. We also saw a unique relationship: Blob and Psylocke. Who would have ever thought of that ever being possible?

Number 2
    With 51 points and twice votes as #1
    Attachment 91297
    Powers of X

Yeah, we really loved how they brought back the X-Men to the forefront of Marvel comics this year. Powers of X showed us several (possible) futures: 1, 10, 100 and even a 1000 years into the future. It gave us Rasputin, Cardinal and other heroes, who were created by mixing DNA of mutants. We saw Omega Sentinel Karima as villain. We met Nimrod the Lesser in 100 years and Nimrod the Greater and the Liberian in 1000. We loved those alternative futures and all hope that, somehow, we get to see more of them.

NUMBER 1
    With 114 points (!) and 31 times votes as number 1 (!)
    HoX.JPG
    House of X

This is no surprise for me and for anyone else I think. But there is no caterory in which the winner received so many number 1 votes, 31 times people voted this as the number 1 mini series of 2019. We learned that Moira is a mutant and we learned about her 10 lives. We saw her die several times, just to come back again and we saw how and why the nation Krakoa was created. A new era for the X-Men has started and we all jump for joy!
    Last edited by Master of Sound; 01-08-2020 at 03:47 AM.

Happy that X-Force by Percy & Cassara won as the best ongoing! Well deserved!

Least Favorite X-Mini Series

We all know by now that Age of X was not that well received by the CBR forum readers. It could be expected that the mini-series that were released under that banner, did were not that greatly appreciated. So I was actually a bit surprised only two of them did so well in the Favotite mini-series election. The number one in the category Least Favorite mini series is rightfully at the number one spot, if you ask me and many agreed with me. The runner-up was also an Age of X-Man mini series: The Marvelous X-Men.

Number 3
    With 28 points and three times voted as #1
    Return.JPG
    Return of Wolverine

I believe they dragged on the return of Logan with this mini. We already had several Hunt for Wolverine mini series in 2018 and this one was a bit too much. The villain Persephone was right out flat and boring and support character Ana was lame as well. We are glad Wolverine has returned from the dead (well, most of us anyway), but they were better of without this mini series.

Number 2
    With 40 point and 5 times voted as #1
    Apo and X-Tracts.JPG
    Apocalypse & the X-Tracts.

What was this mini all about? A massive LSD-trip, that how it looked for most of us. Some did like the newly created character Unveil, but her powers felt like we were using drugs heavily. And what about the weird way Apocalypse acted, with his Love, Piece and Harmony attitude? Woodstock was felt all over, even-though most of us were not even born when that happened. Nope, not our piece of (space)cake.

NUMBER 1
    With 47 points and 8 times voted as #1
    Major X.JPG
    Major X

The number one in the category Least Favorite mini series is rightfully at the number one spot, if you ask me. Like the one-shot, the mini series of Weapon X was one big failure and massive disappointment., a total waste of well earned money. I do not think we will ever see the main character, or the newly created support cast ever again.