View Poll Results: Was Victor given the shaft?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes he can be a team player at times and isnt the worst

19 44.19%
  • No he is an utter monster unforgivable and those guards were good boys

22 51.16%
  • I am not sure

2 4.65%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    So when Apocalypse, sinister will recaive their due? even magneto?
    ^ Might Makes Right I guess. "He who has the gold makes the rules"
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Victor? First-name basis. Familiarity bias. Please rephrase the question.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

To be honest, I don't think Sabretooth was made a scapegoat. The violence meted out to the security guards was excessive (as was acknowledged in panel by Mystique), so some form of punishment was warranted. I think you could make the argument that the punishment is too severe and not commensurate with the crime. Frankly, being swallowed by Krakoa and "locked" inside your body, inert but lucid with no set time period for when it might end, is nightmare fuel. Even for a crime as heinous as murder, it could be deemed cruel and inhuman. I honestly think capital punishment would be more humane.

Regarding Creed being singled out, I get the impression everyone is given a clean slate on arrival at Krakoa. Your actions upon arrival are what you will be judged on. Hence, the likes of Apocalypse and Sinister being given a free pass for historical transgressions.

Setting aside the validity of the punishment for a second, I think it would be a shame if Creed was left in "storage" for the duration of Hickman's run. I enjoyed the way he wrote him in the few panels in which Sabretooth featured - all unapologetic swagger and menace.

We need a few wildcards on the island to keep things interesting...

I figure Hickman's keeping Creed in the wings for some kind of ironic justice later. Which I'm fine with. We have a slew of characters we can do the "curse your sudden yet inevitable betrayal" waiting game with in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by EndangeredSpecies View Post
    To be honest, I don't think Sabretooth was made a scapegoat. The violence meted out to the security guards was excessive (as was acknowledged in panel by Mystique), so some form of punishment was warranted. I think you could make the argument that the punishment is too severe and not commensurate with the crime. Frankly, being swallowed by Krakoa and "locked" inside your body, inert but lucid with no set time period for when it might end, is nightmare fuel. Even for a crime as heinous as murder, it could be deemed cruel and inhuman. I honestly think capital punishment would be more humane.

Regarding Creed being singled out, I get the impression everyone is given a clean slate on arrival at Krakoa. Your actions upon arrival are what you will be judged on. Hence, the likes of Apocalypse and Sinister being given a free pass for historical transgressions.

Setting aside the validity of the punishment for a second, I think it would be a shame if Creed was left in "storage" for the duration of Hickman's run. I enjoyed the way he wrote him in the few panels in which Sabretooth featured - all unapologetic swagger and menace.

We need a few wildcards on the island to keep things interesting...
    you forget that there wasn't a law about this. And sabertooth is violent. So it was unfair to judge him for that

he was 1000% a scapegoat. there are people sitting on the council who are responsible for worse . The real question is, am i mad about it? hell no lol .
    on a meta level it’s fantastic set-up for krakoa and the quiet council as meaning business and we know he’s coming back....I mean cmon how can it not be addressed again.
    on an in-story’s level it’s what Xavier has to do in a political sense: standing in “solidarity” with the humans while also letting them know “look, we can and will deal with our own people on our own terms”. creed set the perfect scenario to do so in Joan lap
    and on a personal level, I love to watch creed squirm. He’s an *******. love to hate

I would have to respectfully disagree with you on this point. I'll concede that retroactively applying a law is unfair and makes little, if any sense. However, even without a specific law in place at the time forbidding the murder of humans, I think it is reasonable to assume that certain behavioural norms are implied in a society.

Creed using excessive force to massacre multiple victims in defiance of a direct order is an obvious example. I think it is reasonable to assume Creed knew that his actions were wrong and would not be looked on favourably by mutant leadership, but choose to act as he did regardless. His actions were motivated by sadistic glee and were ultimately detrimental to the mutant cause and current objectives. Effectively, he forced the hand of the powers that be on Krakoa.

If they let such a flagrant flouting of authority slide, they are setting a dangerous precedent. The island would become an environment were some of its more amoral occupants would feel empowered to indulge their baser instincts. They run the risk of Krakoa descending into anarchy. Following this train of thought, I stand over my original point.

Punishment was appropriate in this instance and even necessary. Although, I'm not sure I agree with the form it took or the unrestricted term limit.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Yes, and that was the point a demonstration of the powers on Krakoa, and a newly forming sovereignty. I also agree with others it's a means for his return maybe a rampage on Krakoa?

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EndangeredSpecies View Post
    I would have to respectfully disagree with you on this point. I'll concede that retroactively applying a law is unfair and makes little, if any sense. However, even without a specific law in place at the time forbidding the murder of humans, I think it is reasonable to assume that certain behavioural norms are implied in a society.

Creed using excessive force to massacre multiple victims in defiance of a direct order is an obvious example. I think it is reasonable to assume Creed knew that his actions were wrong and would not be looked on favourably by mutant leadership, but choose to act as he did regardless. His actions were motivated by sadistic glee and were ultimately detrimental to the mutant cause and current objectives. Effectively, he forced the hand of the powers that be on Krakoa.
    Of all those soldiers there, only 2 got killed. His trial reveals it. All were injured, but he only got 2 counts of manslaughter. So it doesn't seem as excessive as some make it out to be, and we don't know the circumstances. Were those two guards using more force & going after him stronger? They did have weapons. So the two he killed may have been a bigger threat, and with his lack of impulse & instinct control, their more vicious attacks could've triggered his instincts. Similar to Wolverine, who has had his fair share of episodes
    where he murdered numerous people. Hell he was killing during the infiltration mission in HOX. But it's fine when he does it. lol

And it leaves the question why Magneto would send a mindless beast on a mission if he didn't want fatalities. Sending Crud on a no-kill mission against armed humans (the only species he's a threat to lol) is like...well basically my co-worker who left her 3 week old puppy with her pit bull. Needless to say when she got home, the puppy was gone.

If you're in charge of anything, you're expected to have better judgement. And when bad things happen, you ought to share some blame (and any punishment)
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 01-07-2020 at 06:48 PM.

He was 100% a scapegoat. There was no Krakoa law at that point for him to have broken, and he wasn't nearly the worst person just in that room. Apocalypse and Sinister punishing him like that was like Annhilus and Thanos teaming up to kill Carnage. Congratulations, you're all terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    He was 100% a scapegoat. There was no Krakoa law at that point for him to have broken, and he wasn't nearly the worst person just in that room. Apocalypse and Sinister punishing him like that was like Annhilus and Thanos teaming up to kill Carnage. Congratulations, you're all terrible.
    There's a higher chance of Creed indiscriminately killing dozens of humans just because than both Essex and {-A-} combined. MUCH higher.

Tell me I'm lying...

People don't understand what scapegoat means apparently he did crime and he got punished. There is no scapegoating there you can make arguments for he was punished to harshly but scapegoating. Nah this is not it. Sabertooth just had misfortune timing of his crime allowed him to be judged by the council and getting caught by humans.

Last thing Sabertooth is being punished for insubordination and lack of remorse for his crime as well. If Sabertooth had shown remorse and pledged himself not to do again the punishment would have probably be different.

Anyways it doesn't matter because if Sabertooth was unpunished their would be a thread about how Krakoa lets human murder go free and how Krakoa thinks it is above the law. I know this to be true because that is what people who did like Krakoa was saying the issue before Creed got his punishment.There isn't a scenario where someone isn't complaining about it.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-07-2020 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    There's a higher chance of Creed indiscriminately killing dozens of humans just because than both Essex and {-A-} combined. MUCH higher.

Tell me I'm lying...
    So as long as you kill for a cause its better? Creed was basically a serial killer, but Apocalypse and Sinister have killed far more people. Apocalypse for his whole 'survival of the strongest' schtick and Sinister for science and lols.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    So as long as you kill for a cause its better? Creed was basically a serial killer, but Apocalypse and Sinister have killed far more people. Apocalypse for his whole 'survival of the strongest' schtick and Sinister for science and lols.
    Thats kind of irrelevant though as they have not been killing since Krakoa was established. Everyone has been given a blank slate and its actions performed now that matter. With that said, as others have stated, Sabretooth should have been given leniency bc the laws of Krakoa had not been established

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    People don't understand what scapegoat means apparently he did crime and he got punished. There is no scapegoating there you can make arguments for he was punished to harshly but scapegoating. Nah this is not it. Sabertooth just had misfortune timing of his crime allowed him to be judged by the council and getting caught by humans.

Last thing Sabertooth is being punished for insubordination and lack of remorse for his crime as well. If Sabertooth had shown remorse and pledged himself not to do again the punishment would have probably be different.

Anyways it doesn't matter because if Sabertooth was unpunished their would be a thread about how Krakoa lets human murder go free and how Krakoa thinks it is above the law. I know this to be true because that is what people who did like Krakoa was saying the issue before Creed got his punishment.There isn't a scenario where someone isn't complaining about it.
    Too much fact.

There's ALWAYS a reason for someone to complain.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!