Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    That's mostly because the line-up sucked since Marvel shot Capcom in the foot by restricting characters. Doing a Marvel vs. Capcom without Wolverine is borderline blasphemous considering there wouldn't even be a Marvel vs. Capcom without X-Men vs. Street Fighter (or even reaching back further, X-Men: Children of the Atom).

The game itself was fine. Basically just an amped up Marvel vs. Capcom 3.
    I don't think lacking Wolverine really is the reason the game wasn't well received. Not that I don't like Wolverine as much as the next guy, but I think there are deeper issues than that.

From purely a fighting game standpoint I would very much agree the game is fine. They actually tried doing something different rather than just dressing up the previous interations with new window dressing, so I give them points for that.

I think the the game suffers from the issues outside the actual game mechanics. I don't think the game, outside of the stages, necessarily looks all that good. And I think the story mode (which has NEVER been Capcoms strong point) is pretty underwhelming especially compared to some of the stuff we're seeing with the DC and Mortal Kombat games. Its hard NOT to compare the marvel and DC games, and when you do storywise at least Infinate doesn't come off looking all that great.

No X-Men definitely was a major blow. There were a lot of problems with the game on a visual level, but the roster was the single biggest thing that came up every single time I saw someone criticizing the game.

It's not just the lack of X-Men either. Even if the X-Men were off-limits, there's still no excuse for the game to only have 3 new Marvel characters in the base roster when there are so many others they could've used who were under no such restrictions. Loki? Ms. Marvel? Scarlet Witch? Blade? Vision? Miles Morales or Spider-Gwen? Luke Cage? Daredevil? Elektra? Doc Ock? Ant-Man and Wasp?

The game had some terribly done voice acting and audio in general. And it just looked bad compared to what could be done.

A full on Marvel only fighting game in the style of Injustice could be fun but they'd have to have a pretty big roster to not just get weighed down by "MUST HAVE MCU".

Astonishing Member

i was one of the few people that defended this game because i figure, any marvel capcom game by capcom is better than none and i was hoping they take the admittedly bad aspects and turn it into something great later on alas i was let down
    Last edited by Rzerox21xx; 01-08-2020 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I don't think lacking Wolverine really is the reason the game wasn't well received. Not that I don't like Wolverine as much as the next guy, but I think there are deeper issues than that.
    I was using Wolverine as an example of those deeper issues (i.e. the behind the scenes limitations). I barely play as the character myself but him missing from it was just one example of the bigger issues the game had.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    It's not just the lack of X-Men either. Even if the X-Men were off-limits, there's still no excuse for the game to only have 3 new Marvel characters in the base roster when there are so many others they could've used who were under no such restrictions. Loki? Ms. Marvel? Scarlet Witch? Blade? Vision? Miles Morales or Spider-Gwen? Luke Cage? Daredevil? Elektra? Doc Ock? Ant-Man and Wasp?
    It's just speculation on my part, but based on trends in the gaming industry, as well as their own track record (Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3), I was always under the assumption they purposely held back certain characters in order to add them as DLC later but the plan died when the game under performed.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    It's just speculation on my part, but based on trends in the gaming industry, as well as their own track record (Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3), I was always under the assumption they purposely held back certain characters in order to add them as DLC later but the plan died when the game under performed.
    Probably. They went all DLC crazy with Street Fighter V and its multiple rereleases.