Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

It seems that almost no one has figured out how to develop Sunfire into a character who isn't just 40% national pride, 30% arrogance and 30% anger or they don't want to. That's probably why he isn't used more often in the X-Men titles.

It might be interesting to see Sunfire and his sizable national pride maybe have to face some of the real social problems facing modern Japan along with his superheroing. Stuff like the aging population, inadequate childcare and foster care systems, mental health stigma, the hikkikomori phenomenon etc. in a miniseries or something.

Yeah, it’s funny people seem a bit scared to use him, like they’re worried about stereotyping which is fair but could happen with pretty much every x-character. I think he plays too big a part in the x-men’s history just to be pushed off as an extra these days. I would love to see the all new all different xmen meet up and have a chat with krakoa about their first meeting

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Yeah, it’s funny people seem a bit scared to use him, like they’re worried about stereotyping which is fair but could happen with pretty much every x-character. I think he plays too big a part in the x-men’s history just to be pushed off as an extra these days. I would love to see the all new all different xmen meet up and have a chat with krakoa about their first meeting
    Think of Jimmy Woo or all the Asian/Asian American women the marvel writers developed. They could evolve him from “Japanese version of Steve Rogers” something of more cosmopolitan. They’ve fleshed Gorgon and he’s Japanese

Get Gene Yuen Yang or Greg Pak to write him. Many times Asians are heavily stereotyped, having asian talent to deal with it is much better

Part of me thinks maybe trying to flesh him out as more than just “he’s Japanese” might be fun.

Like, I’m australian but it’s not like every sentence I utter mentions vegemite, the afl, white supremacy and kangaroos. Like who is shiro really other than just his honour and his temper?

Part of me thinks maybe trying to flesh him out as more than just “he’s Japanese” might be fun.

Like, I’m australian but it’s not like every sentence I utter mentions vegemite, the afl, white supremacy and kangaroos. Like who is shiro really other than just his honour and his temper?
    LoL! Richmond FC was dominant. And though we live in America and our sons are born here (dual citizens) the boys get a daily dose of vegemite toast. Quokka's and Wombats for me. And though my wife's family are descendants of the first fleet, some of them are married to first nations peoples.

Mighty Member

If Shiro is given a bigger presence in the x-verse I would hope they stick with his strong ties to his birth nation. One of his defining traits is his love/loyalty/protectiveness of Japan, so it would be odd and cringe worthy if he suddenly decides to go full Krakoan. I hope he appears soon and I hope he remains true to who he is, someone who embraces and is proud of his nation and also isn't afraid to proclaim it; even against fellow mutants who advocate that he comes to Krakoa.