View Poll Results: What’s Your Preferred Physique for Wonder Woman?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Toned, Defined and Muscular

35 55.56%
  • Slim or Lithe, like Supergirl

2 3.17%
  • A Soft Mix Between Slim and Toned

25 39.68%
  • Other

4 6.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Depictions of Diana has varied a lot. If we look at HG Peter's original Diana, she is tall and slim, with some muscle tone but not bulging in any way. I think it's clear that he was inspired by the flapper ideal of the 1920s. If we are to look at modern artists, I think Nicola Scott comes quite close to that.

With that in mind, I think I'll have to point out two key characteristics for a good Diana: she has to have a clearly feminine body (note that this goes way beyond putting titties on their chest, and influences nearly every part of the body), and she should be proportionate. Some muscle tone is good, but it should more be hinting at strength that can be expressed when it's needed, rather than hulking.

And if we look at Gal Gadot, I'd say she comes very close to the way Peter drew Diana: tall, slim, with a hint of muscle tone. Slim hips, that go with a slim body shape, and shoulders that hint at strength without making the rest of her look small.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

The 1980s feels most definitive to me, with the colors and gauntlet designs and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    The 1980s feels most definitive to me, with the colors and gauntlet designs and all.

That’s classic Garcia-Lopez!

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Also, Michael Bair's drawing from Wonder Woman #305 (July, 1983).

It does look nice, and you can actually see the jump in muscle definition from the 80s to the 90s here.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Triathlete, since it covers what the Ancient Greek warrior does like running and swimming, but not too specific like each branch of the Olympic athlete, while still believable that she can do all the Olympic branches related to her ability such as javelin throwing and high jumping.

So toned, athletic, but not weigh lifter big.

Wait, no... triathlon is just running, swimming, and cycling. What's that sport that covers everything including weight lifting and pulling?

Cross fit! Cross-fit athlete! That's what I was aiming for.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 01-09-2020 at 08:23 PM.

Toned, Defined and Muscular for me!
    Like this :

ELhYUzGWkAEWFDT.jpg

I prefer Diana’s Amazon physique to be more on the statuesque/zaftig end of the spectrum.
    Alex Ross nailed that build in “Kingdom Come”

Rather than the thin/willowy look seen on JG Jones covers.

With regard to muscle definition, the muscles would show when she exerts/flexes ala Jennifer Garner in Elektra or Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I prefer Diana’s Amazon physique to be more on the statuesque/zaftig end of the spectrum.
    Alex Ross nailed that build in “Kingdom Come”

Rather than the thin/willowy look seen on JG Jones covers.

With regard to muscle definition, the muscles would show when she exerts/flexes ala Jennifer Garner in Elektra or Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2
    Wow, so that’s what a good statuesque design looks like. Now I have a better idea by what you mean! Alex Ross’ physique for her is really killer. JG Jones isn’t that bad either, personally.

A good artist should make the effort to show the muscle definition when muscles are flexing, and be consistent about it, but tons of artists either don’t bother or have her muscles defined at all times.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Javier Pina for my take

Amazing Member

Michelle lewin

Quote Originally Posted by Serpis View Post
    Michelle lewin
    I thought that was an artist at first and that Google was failing me! ;P

She’s defined the way some of the other artists people have named draw her—I can see it!

I like the 1940's, followed by 2000s, then 2010s.

Retired

Those curves, those legs. Too bad these artists (Oksner and Adams respectively) didn't work on the stories inside the covers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

Those curves, those legs. Too bad these artists (Oksner and Adams respectively) didn't work on the stories inside the covers.
    While I liked that story arc (which returned WW to the JLA), I hated the way the bird was drawn, the large white belt and Diana's suddenly shorter, blunt hair style.