Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    IMO I wouldn't want Bette to have powers, part of the charm is when she succeeds despite others doubting her capabilities. She's an underdog, and more so than the other bats, even Steph.
    That's because they keep her separate from all of the Bat-fam, other than Kate. Outside of fans of the current Batwoman, or the older Titans/Batman comics, a lot of bat-fam fans barely know she exists.

She would need to be integrated more to be noticed. Then you get some ppl complaining about the bat-fam being 'too big', though that happens every few months anyway, so meh.
    This conversation has come full circle.

They are keeping her separated from the other Bats. Bat Fans barely know she exists. Bette is neither integrated nor noticed.

Why is this happening?

My best guess: the writers do not think she adds anything to the story. (I’m sure the uncertainty of Bette’s background doesn’t help.)

Ultimately, Bette can’t do anything better or different than any other Bat. She is less capable than other Bats. (Shouldn’t be this way but, sadly, it is.)

So now what? How can Bette stand out?? What can she bring to the table that will intrigue writers enough to include her???

I don’t know. (So I suggested she gain powers.)

Bette would probably show up more if she was connected to Bruce more. But Bruce already has enough sidekicks so adding another to him just makes it more crowded.

I think Bette is big enough to never truly dissapear but not big enough to have any real development. So we end up with her only showing up in events spash page which include a bunch of utterly random heroes or showing up occasionally as Batwoman's sidekick in her book.

I'd love to see Bruce's Kane connection explored more. Maybe an arc or miniseries which could delve into his connections with Kathy, Kate, Bette and the other surviving Kanes.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    How can Bette stand out?? What can she bring to the table that will intrigue writers enough to include her???

I don’t know. (So I suggested she gain powers.)
    Since the last she was seen she was training at West Point, maybe later on they could go the super-soldier route. That's the first thing that comes to mind when discussing her getting powers anyway, although it is a rather tired trope. I don't know.

Maybe it could be a thing where she has to juggle superheroics with her Army duties, wherever she's deployed. That's a pretty unique scenario.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Astonishing Member

Since the last she was seen she was training at West Point, maybe later on they could go the super-soldier route. That's the first thing that comes to mind when discussing her getting powers anyway, although it is a rather tired trope. I don't know.
    I don't think it's tired.

Actually, it is a pretty good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    I don't think it's tired.

Actually, it is a pretty good idea.
    It's probably too goofy for Bette, though. Besides, she has a built-in concept already there.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

What about aging Bette down so she isn't in such a crowded generation? and then could be used more. such a move would probably be controversial though so maybe not such a good idea

Well, if we want to go really out of the box:

Bette decides she needs to know more about why she chose Flamebird (to Dick's Nightwing). Canon is possibly that at some point Superman told both Dick and Bette about the Krypton/Kandorian legend.

"this" instance is not on-panel I'm pretty sure, but is mentioned on-panel in a story from nearly 20 years, ago, I believe.

So maybe Bette goes seeking these origins and actually ends up guesting in non-Bat titles. Superman or related titles. Legion, possibly ?

I have another thought about both how Clark told the legend of NW/FB as well as how there could be something different about Bette, even leading to dormant powers?

I love the Silver Age story about the Prisoners of 3 Worlds, where Bruce, Katy, Dick and Bette are all exposed to hallucinogenic gas/drugs (in Morrison's revision - in the reality of early '60s stories there were ETs and "energy" bodies, etc.)

Maybe Bette's recovery lagged (she is younger than all the others) and Bruce ended up consulting with Superman (so BatJet trip to the Fortress of Solitude?)

Where Superman gives a cure/injection from Kandor. (still operating on the idea of some ET involvement; Kandor might have databases on other races, etc)

And super hypnotism, to forget certain aspects of the adventure.

So a possible Kryptonian element given to Bette and super hypnosis after/during/before hearing the legends of NW/FB.

How about Spyral sleeper agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Why? How does that lean into her as a character at all?

Astonishing Member

I like the idea.

It fits with Kathy Webb-Kane / Batwoman.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Why? How does that lean into her as a character at all?
    It would be a twist that also acts as a soft reboot.

It would be a twist that also acts as a soft reboot.
    But what does that twist do? Any character can have some ridiculous "they were brainwashed all along!" thing. How is that specific to Bette? Plus, how is that not a turn-off, since Spyral is evil?

She has a good concept already right there, which I mentioned above. I don't know of any current superhero who has that, at least not at DC.

As i said, it would act as a soft reboot. Its specific to Bette because she is the rebooted version of Betty, the original Batwoman's sidekick. And Spyral is complicated. It would be something that could hopefully make people take a new look at Bette, not to mention maybe make an impact and create story potential for characters like Kate.

I know you refuse to accept what the West Point thing is, but she doesn't have a concept. She has a convenient excuse to not be around. That is all this West Point thing has been, and i don't that is going to change anytime soon. Now i have nothing against Bette, but she has a lot going against her. If she is going to make an impact again they have to do something shocking and out of the box.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-25-2020 at 09:19 PM.

I just don't understand why the call for this weird stuff when it's not needed. Living the life of a superhero while being active-duty military is something that no other character has right now as far as I know. I don't even know many who ever had. But plenty have been secretly brainwashed, or gotten powers, or been supersoldiers. Why saddle Bette with a less fresh idea?