Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New thread for Bette Kane, 2020?

Not that she may appear anytime soon, but *hope*.

Also I don't really know how to start one of these, so please feel free to help

anyone.

Bette would graduate and be commissioned this year! Sometime in May, I think.

Given what I think is very likely based on certain class requirements and her existing level of combat skill, she would also fight in her final Brigade championships and in have her final appearance at the NCBA national tournament (both of which she'd win again, natch).
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Bette would graduate and be commissioned this year! Sometime in May, I think.

Given what I think is very likely based on certain class requirements and her existing level of combat skill, she would also fight in her final Brigade championships and in have her final appearance at the NCBA national tournament (both of which she'd win again, natch).
    Does she play tennis anymore?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Does she play tennis anymore?
    I'd assume so; nothing says she doesn't, and she would need a sport requirement before any potential recruitment for boxing.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    I'd assume so; nothing says she doesn't, and she would need a sport requirement before any potential recruitment for boxing.
    I would just like a little nod to that. Would be fun. Rucka included it.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Not that she may appear anytime soon, but *hope*.
    If we're counting Mary Hamilton as being the same person, there are many (TV) appearances.

For now, while I may acknowledge that Mary on the show is essentially a version of Bette, I'm speaking more to the idea of 'here' and hoping she , Bette, may show up again.

Dude create a new thread with this title “Bette Kane: Bat-Girl, Flamebird, Hawkfire Appreciation 2020”. Then post one of your favorite images of her in the box below.

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Bring her back as a more serious character
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    For now, while I may acknowledge that Mary on the show is essentially a version of Bette, I'm speaking more to the idea of 'here' and hoping she , Bette, may show up again.
    Well whether in comics or TV she's pretty much tied to Kate now, and that includes appearances. What I mean is if Kate shows-up, there is a chance Bette might show-up, but she doesn't seem to appear independently. So the best to hope for is Batwoman getting more appearances in the comics again, and Bette showing-up more as a result.

I know it's not what Bette fans want to hear, but that is how it is for the time being, she's a support character to Kate - until someone decides to do more with her. As is, comics Kate has mostly been acting as a support character in various guest appearances for a while now, since her last solo ended. TV is an entirely different matter of course.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by red winter View Post
    Bring her back as a more serious character
    I think they should give Bette powers. We have enough Bat-clones.

Powers would make Bette stand out from the other Bats.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    I think they should give Bette powers. We have enough Bat-clones.

Powers would make Bette stand out from the other Bats.
    Signal and Orphan have powers. Yeah, I know Cass isn't supposed to be a meta, but her body-reading is basically a super-power (meta IMO).

IMO I wouldn't want Bette to have powers, part of the charm is when she succeeds despite others doubting her capabilities. She's an underdog, and more so than the other bats, even Steph.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Signal and Orphan have powers. Yeah, I know Cass isn't supposed to be a meta, but her body-reading is basically a super-power (meta IMO).

IMO I wouldn't want Bette to have powers, part of the charm is when she succeeds despite others doubting her capabilities. She's an underdog, and more so than the other bats, even Steph.
    I understand what you're saying. I really do.

Sadly, Bette's charm as an underdog does not seem to be appeal to many writers. So, we fans are left starving for her appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    I understand what you're saying. I really do.

Sadly, Bette's charm as an underdog does not seem to be appeal to many writers. So, we fans are left starving for her appearances.
    That's because they keep her separate from all of the Bat-fam, other than Kate. Outside of fans of the current Batwoman, or the older Titans/Batman comics, a lot of bat-fam fans barely know she exists.

She would need to be integrated more to be noticed. Then you get some ppl complaining about the bat-fam being 'too big', though that happens every few months anyway, so meh.

I could not understate the 'charm factor' of Bette, in my own case. Barely remembered as a child reader in that early to mid '60s block. I know I more likely came upon the image of the girl with a red dress and green cape.
    Years later I realized who she was and found out more about that era through reprints. Some weird stuff there, that Morrison tried to tie into or account for in his take. At any rate, I was a reader of DC; read her in the previous volume of Teen Titans, a short comeback that is occasionally referred to. After Crisis she was improbably reinvented as Flamebird, in what clearly seemed to be a move to tie her into Nightwing's mythos or 'story', and for a while, mostly forgetting the actual "Bat-girl" canon/stories. I stopped reading DC shortly after Crisis, or only a few titles very randomly.
    So I mostly was unaware (until reprints, years later) of her occasional forays as FB, with some version of the Titans and the Beast Boy stories.

It wasn't until she reappeared in the older Detective stories with Batwoman, that become the 'Elegy' storyline, that someone finally presented her in a more realistic light. So for that I've been happy. I didn't always like the ignoring of her training with the original Batwoman and possibly Batman, in that Silver age era. My own guess would be the writers or editors were not able to push that; it was Kate's book and there was already a lot going on.

So the mystery, possibly of her pre-origins and how any of that plays into 'now' have always been fascinating to me.

Who are her parents and how are they connected to other Kanes? Is Jacob her uncle through a brother Kane? What is all that about?

If we get to revision her from her earliest appearances than what are the circumstances that brought her to Aunt Kathy and Gotham way back?

... that's only the beginning of my fascination.