Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I know you refuse to accept what the West Point thing is, but she doesn't have a concept. She has a convenient excuse to not be around. That is all this West Point thing has been, and i don't that is going to change anytime soon. Now i have nothing against Bette, but she has a lot going against her. If she is going to make an impact again they have to do something shocking and out of the box.
    I must agree.

West Point isn't a "concept" for Bette; it's an excuse to shuffle her off to comic book Limbo. I've seen DC pull this nonsense before.
    I liked the concept of Bette getting her masters degree in sports medicine; I maybe the only one who remembers this now.

I can't imagine how she could active military and superhero...especially with no powers.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    West Point isn't a "concept" for Bette; it's an excuse to shuffle her off to comic book Limbo.
    It's both, isn't it? The very fact we can say "Bette is at West Point" means it's a concept. It's just not one that's being used. So why not use it (or rather, the logical extention of it)? It's right there.

I can't imagine how she could active military and superhero...especially with no powers.
    She just has to be clever and sneaky. That's part of what would make the concept so fun and tense. Why would she need superpowers?
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    It's both, isn't it? The very fact we can say "Bette is at West Point" means it's a concept. It's just not one that's being used. So why not use it (or rather, the logical extention of it)? It's right there.
    Yeah, it's right there. DC will ignore West Point if it suits their whims.

She just has to be clever and sneaky. That's part of what would make the concept so fun and tense. Why would she need superpowers?
    Same reason Superman needs his powers to hold a job as Clark Kent. I couldn't work a full-time job and then have 'super-heroic adventures'; I can't imagine that too may people could. Forget a personal life; I can't imagine how you could find the time.

Realistically Bette's Westpoint career will probably either be ignored or she will have graduated from it already when we next see her.

Im not too keen on superheroes being part of the American Military. But maybe thats cause im not american.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Same reason Superman needs his powers to hold a job as Clark Kent. I couldn't work a full-time job and then have 'super-heroic adventures'; I can't imagine that too may people could. Forget a personal life; I can't imagine how you could find the time.
    Helena Bertinelli was a teacher. Barbara Gordon was a librarian and and later a hands-on business owner. It's definitely doable. Here, it would be a profession that hasn't really been used in that context.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    or she will have graduated from it already when we next see her.
    That's what I'm saying. She would graduate and be commissioned this year. So it's the perfect opportunity to pick up her story.
    Last edited by Caivu; 01-26-2020 at 08:37 AM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Astonishing Member

Helena Bertinelli was a teacher. Barbara Gordon was a librarian and and later a hands-on business owner. It's definitely doable. Here, it would be a profession that hasn't really been used in that context.
    You argue a good point.

Unfortunately, this decision rests upon the mercurial whims of DC.

So Bette could be a active military superhero or a super-soldier or a Spyral agent or a graduate school student...or etcetera.

Don't get your hopes up.
    Last edited by scary harpy; 01-26-2020 at 12:21 PM.

I see what you are saying, especially about West Point. Its a road that goes nowhere.

I thought about SpYral and think it is more the concept of why Kathy sent her away (not canon but makes sense). She didn't want Bette to be used as others were in that finishing school thing in Batman InC. SPYral is of course a retcon, so my idea is a retcon to that.

Kathy kept Bette from being caught up in SpYral.

But maybe SPYral already had something going on, which would lend itself to your idea. Sort of manchurian thing?

So many characters that flow through the Bat tales are not powered. Or? Is it possible that their genetic backgrounds, and the advantages of richer folks has given them the best possible.

It's a wobble/wiggle concept. Do certain routines, physical or other, possibly give considerable (but not super powered) advantages.

Its really the whole conceit of Batman like characters.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Years ago, long before they did the Grayson Secret Agent thing, I had written a story of my own with Bette becoming a secret agent with Checkmate. Something I still think would be an excellent direction for her character and would give her some relevance again.

Either she returns to being Batwoman's sidekick, or she gets put in a team somewhere. That's what needs to happen IMO. I'm not a fan of how Jacob and Bette were removed from Kate's supporting cast and replaced with Julia anyhow.

Agree, clearly with the first volume, following on Elegy, Jacob and Bette were two of the most interesting characters. Okay Maggie a few others.

My own thoughts are that Editorial may be "not down" with returning to that scene, since they lost that creative team when they betrayed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Agree, clearly with the first volume, following on Elegy, Jacob and Bette were two of the most interesting characters. Okay Maggie a few others.

My own thoughts are that Editorial may be "not down" with returning to that scene, since they lost that creative team when they betrayed them.
    They've gone that path with the TV show though, so they might bring Jacob and Bette back to Kate's main cast in the comics, whenever she gets another solo/team. The shows/films of comic characters sometimes influence the comics.

Tonight is Post Night for the Class of 2020, where they will select their first Army assignments after graduation. If Bette was assigned to the Medical Service Corps, however, it seems she would be required to attend the Basic Officer Leader Course at Fort Sam Houston, Texas.