Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Outsiders should take a que from the Young Justice animated series and deal more directly with metahumans, maybe even flesh out metas as a concept more. instead of Vandal Savage and Darkseid, maybe go with the Council of Immortals and the Quintessence or some other cosmic player.

I would be okay with that, I love Young Justice. Just as long as Katana stays a member. I hate how she's not used much in the cartoon.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Outsiders should take a que from the Young Justice animated series and deal more directly with metahumans, maybe even flesh out metas as a concept more. instead of Vandal Savage and Darkseid, maybe go with the Council of Immortals and the Quintessence or some other cosmic player.

I believe they did something like that in the last Titans run.

?I'm going to check this out on comixology. Do I need to read anything prior
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I believe they did something like that in the last Titans run.
    it's been a minute since I read Titans but iirc, the last titans run focused on new metas but it didn't explore any new territory with the metahuman concept and I don't believe they touched the Immortals either. they have all the ingredients to really dive deep with metahumans, Duke, Sofia, and Jeff are all metas, with Duke apparently having a significant metahuman lineage, Katana apparently has some sort of magical lineage (maybe homo magus), and they are already fighting R'as al Ghul; the story could write itself. take all the stuff they could've done with Immortal Men and the "New Justice" era Titans, and mix it with what they were doing with Young Justice, it wouldn't be a stretch.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    ?I'm going to check this out on comixology. Do I need to read anything prior
    Not really, if you wanted you could read Detective Comics 983 to 987 which kinda sets up the team a bit. But they do a good job of making it so you don't have to read that to enjoy this series.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    Not really, if you wanted you could read Detective Comics 983 to 987 which kinda sets up the team a bit. But they do a good job of making it so you don't have to read that to enjoy this series.
    Thank you kindly. My first Outsiders run.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Thank you kindly. My first Outsiders run.
    If you enjoy I highly recommend Judd Winick’s run. Actually I like all of vol 3 of Outsiders

Fantastic Member

Outsiders should take a queue from the Young Justice animated series and deal more directly with metahumans, maybe even flesh out metas as a concept more. instead of Vandal Savage and Darkseid, maybe go with the Council of Immortals and the Quintessence or some other cosmic player.
    Frankly I think DC as a whole could take lessons from how Greg Weissman and co approached Young Justice.

Starting with putting together a coherent detailed franchise bible and timeline (Weissman's timeline started at 139 pages and has expanded to 289 pages at last report).

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock Holmes View Post
    Frankly I think DC as a whole could take lessons from how Greg Weissman and co approached Young Justice.

Starting with putting together a coherent detailed franchise bible and timeline (Weissman's timeline started at 139 pages and has expanded to 289 pages at last report).
    Good luck bringing new talent on-board if they have to read that bible while also internalizing old material to get the voice of characters. It would be easy for, say, Fire and Ice... But Batman? Superman? Imagine having to deal with the Justice League, some of which go back 80 years. It works when you have a limited pool of people working on something that won't get upended by events or new blood entering or leaving the team. What works in animation doesn't always translate to continuous publications.

Continuity need not be a noose to hang themselves with. DC found itself in this mess because the last regime rebooted, what, four times under Didio? Constant reboots are more the problem than not having a compendium for the talent to pour over. Nobody is ever going to be able to keep track of the material if they keep remixing the timeline all the damn time, and invalidating material you've still got on the stands isn't much better a strategy.
    Last edited by Robanker; 05-26-2020 at 08:04 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Good luck bringing new talent on-board if they have to read that bible while also internalizing old material to get the voice of characters.
    A few hours reading as prep for a assignment, doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

It would be easy for, say, Fire and Ice... But Batman? Superman? Imagine having to deal with the Justice League, some of which go back 80 years. It works when you have a limited pool of people working on something that won't get upended by events or new blood entering or leaving the team. What works in animation doesn't always translate to continuous publications.
    Easier with minor characters or static cast of talent I agree, but not impossible IMO.

Continuity need not be a noose to hang themselves with. DC found itself in this mess because the last regime rebooted, what, four times under Didio? Constant reboots are more the problem than not having a compendium for the talent to pour over. Nobody is ever going to be able to keep track of the material if they keep remixing the timeline all the damn time, and invalidating material you've still got on the stands isn't much better a strategy.
    Reboots were part of the problem, not having a consistent vision or message for the writers was an even bigger problem. As were many of the "modernisations" of key tent-pole characters.

Honestly... I didn't like Season 3 of Young Justice.

Mostly because, like all his iteration, that beast Boy is obnoxious, and the very interesting premise of the start turned into that unsufferable #WeAreAllOutsiders bullshit midway. I've been so bummed by it I didn't even watched the last episode.

The last thing I want for the Outsiders is to take a leaf from the show.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    If you enjoy I highly recommend Judd Winick’s run. Actually I like all of vol 3 of Outsiders
    I endorse this post.

IMO - The best iteration of the concept of Outsiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Mostly because, like all his iteration, that beast Boy is obnoxious, and the very interesting premise of the start turned into that unsufferable #WeAreAllOutsiders bullshit midway. I've been so bummed by it I didn't even watched the last episode.
    Which is kind of surprising to me since his personality is much more toned down compared to other takes on Beast Boy.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Which is kind of surprising to me since his personality is much more toned down compared to other takes on Beast Boy.
    I like YJ Season 3 Beast Boy, he was actually a bit mature.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    I like YJ Season 3 Beast Boy, he was actually a bit mature.
    It's definitely a refreshing take...although I really liked Gar in the Teen Titans animated films too.

I'm glad Greg Cipes was able to do something different then his normal Beast Boy voice.