Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

This issue was really great. And that Black Lightning page at the end... No matters what happens next, that's the kind of showings he should get all the time.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I don't mean this run particularly, I mean the team itself. in-universe the Outsiders is a specialized team for heroes, not "sidekicks trying to do x" or a junior justice league. they are pro, typically league-level, hero characters serving a purpose. even the threat they are dealing with here (if it had the execution of the story been better) would be considered a job for a team of pro league-level heroes. The Outsiders is a higher profile team than a Teen Titans and I would rather Duke follow that path through to Leaguer status eventually (which would finally make good on how Snyder pitched the character) than to have him stuck in the junior leagues for decades doing dick all.
    Not really imo.

While the Outsiders are not a team of teen side kicks, they had usually a lot of inexperienced characters on the team (often less experienced than the core Titans). And don't think the ever handled "jobs" as big as the Titans have in their biggest stories.
    I mean what is the biggest story line the Outsiders ever had?

Sofar non of the Outsiders has really reached Leaguer status, some of them have been in incarnations of the League, but those were usually "low status" incarnations that mainly consisted of of characters of lower profile than the Titans.
    Last edited by Aahz; 08-11-2020 at 02:17 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    This issue was really great. And that Black Lightning page at the end... No matters what happens next, that's the kind of showings he should get all the time.
    That page almost made me forget that Black Lightning got shafted throughout this book to promote a proxy war between Batman and Ras that dragged out way too long.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    That page almost made me forget that Black Lightning got shafted throughout this book to promote a proxy war between Batman and Ras that dragged out way too long.
    I mean, this ain't the first awesome showing Black Lightning has had in this run. That's one of the biggesting things Hill's run has going for it. The Art Team just brings that aspect home.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 08-11-2020 at 11:42 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Black lightning has had some cool showings of his powers in this run even though they are few . The latest issue is not the first time BL has done some super cool stuff in this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Not really imo.

While the Outsiders are not a team of teen side kicks, they had usually a lot of inexperienced characters on the team (often less experienced than the core Titans). And don't think the ever handled "jobs" as big as the Titans have in their biggest stories.

Sofar non of the Outsiders has really reached Leaguer status, some of them have been in incarnations of the League, but those were usually "low status" incarnations that mainly consisted of of characters of lower profile than the Titans.
    hey man, that can be your opinion but there is a pretty clear difference between, Thunder, Martian Manhunter, Black Lightning, Arsenal, Geo-force, metamorpho, etc. (and the missions they undertake) and the characters that typically end up on the Teen Titans. the missions they go on aren't lesser forms of justice league while dealing with the perils of puberty, they're people specially picked to deal with Justice League threats that the league can't get done (publicly at least); that's literally the reason they are created. that reads to me that no matter how you slice it, the Outsiders are in-canon a different tier of superheroics than the Teen Titans. they are characters that are meant to have a seat at The Table not the kiddie table. but hey, agree to disagree.

I guess that's just, like, your opinion man
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 08-13-2020 at 08:05 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I feel kinda bad that I can't just enjoy this book anymore without nitpicking, but seeing as we're entering the last stretch and we've reached the point where this book is what it's going to be, I can't help but be critical. i need to go back and read the full run again to do a proper breakdown of the whole thing but one thing I've noticed is this weird trope Hill does where he does this non-answer thing in so he can opt to kinda have the characters say a "cool" thing? it happens three times in this issue, and I think (I have to go back and read the run) this pattern of superficial coolness may be the route of the flaws in the run.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 08-13-2020 at 08:49 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Looks like the classic Outsiders will appear in John Ridley's "The Other History of the DC Universe" book alongside Black Lightning and Katana who have been confirmed to have stories in the series.

Geo-Force is on one of the covers.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Not really imo.

What team of rookies are you referring to?

Because the first team had Batman, Black Lightning and Metamorpho. The Judd Winick team had Jade, Nightwing, and Arsenal (among others). And while yes, they're have inexperienced members, those were generally emotionally mature people who handled their business pretty well.

The Outsiders are really more like DC's Defenders, composed of people who used to have books with some other guys meant to fill out the roster

Issue #16 was really good. There’s a glimpse into Jefferson’s childhood that I think was a new wrinkle to his mythology. Also, him being more powerful than previously known (and showing it). Orphan straight beasting.

The Ra’s arc is done but it’s the setup going forward that I found most intriguing. That art.

Review:
    https://geekdad.com/2020/09/review-b...tning-strikes/
    Last edited by Iconic; 09-08-2020 at 09:15 AM.

Spectacular Member

I would really like to see this current roster (minus batman) stay and build on their relations and interactions with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironmonk View Post
    I would really like to see this current roster (minus batman) stay and build on their relations and interactions with each other.
    Looks like that’s what’s going to happen based on this issue.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Looks like that’s what’s going to happen based on this issue.
    I'll have to see it to believe it. Too many times a new writer disregard what's setup and change things. Seen it too many times with the main JL book.

I'm curious how Cass being Batgirl again (or at least wearing the costume again) might have effected the book, but I guess we might not get to know...

As long as they stop calling her "Orphan."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ironmonk View Post
    They've had over a damn year for the cast to interact with one another. Don't think time would make it any better