Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Default The Øutsiders Appreciation/Discussion Thread 2020

this 2020, we are all Outsiders!

last year was a pretty great year for the Outsiders. The return of the Outsiders team under Black Lightning's leadership on the page and a huge boost for their brand's profile thanks to Young Justice. Bryan Hill, Dexter Soy, and Veronica Gandini have been knocking it out the park and are only getting better over time. my hope for them this year is to take it even further and for the Outsiders (individually and as a unit) to start playing a bigger role in the wider DC landscape.

~~~~~

Original incarnation created by: Mike W. Barr (writer) Jim Aparo (artist)

First appearance: The Brave and the Bold #200 (July 1983)

Current Roster (and their appreciation threads): Black Lightning (team leader), Katana, Orphan, Signal, and Sofia Ramos; Batman* (benefactor)

link to last year's thread
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 05-10-2020 at 07:13 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Today issue was great, hinting at big changes but also potentially explosive and very interesting story arcs !

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

As all of my favorite Outsiders runs are Bat-free, my hope is that the book can eventually ditch Batman this year, and still survive!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    As all of my favorite Outsiders runs are Bat-free, my hope is that the book can eventually ditch Batman this year, and still survive!
    you and me both man, you and me both. I'm happy that this book has largely focused on everyone but Batman, except for a couple scenes here and there, and with tensions between the Outsiders and Batman rising (plus Hill saying you could look at this series as Batman vs The Outsiders), I would like to believe we'll eventually see a split. I would love for Black Lightning to take over the Outsiders concept, especially since we already have a Geo-force team. fingies crossed!
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

How long dae you reckon? before Babylon becomes a full member of the team.

BANNED

I will be honest: not interested in Batman´s issues on Outsiders, his issue must be in his own solo book, not this book. Also kinda boring of Ra´s lately, but I´ve been loving most of the characters thought story itself doesn´t convince me much.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Let me sum it up for you... his name is probably the reason why it's still around. Because that is how PETTY some store owners are with a book with 4 POC as leads.

Because that is all they see 4 POC along with OTHERS (mainly nonreaders).

Batman has pretty much done CAMEOS in this book. His name is being used like Black Panther's name has been used to promote every but HIM in his own book, BP WOW & The Crew.

And does look suspect Batman bossing around 4 POC. A point I think Tony Isabella was making.

Looking at the Terrifics using a black guy's name and is heading to a 25th issue-should tell DC that this one could survive without Batman's name on it.

Heck Simon & Jessica held a book for 50 issues.

No one is expecting a 100 issue run (not with the way DC is run these days)-I think most would be happy if this book reached 25 let alone 50 without Batman's name. If all he is going to do is cameos that is a waste of HIM.

This book is crazy good.

The story has done nothing but get better and better. Hill is doing a phenomenal job on characterization. Without sacrificing the action, he gives us so many little things that help to further develop each character while continuing to push the story forward.

The art team is tremendous as well. From the action to the touching moments this art team nails it. Like when Jefferson starts to light up, it’s like it lights up the page.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    This book is crazy good.

The story has done nothing but get better and better. Hill is doing a phenomenal job on characterization. Without sacrificing the action, he gives us so many little things that help to further develop each character while continuing to push the story forward.

The art team is tremendous as well. From the action to the touching moments this art team nails it. Like when Jefferson starts to light up, it’s like it lights up the page.
    Dexter Soy's art is crazy but honestly, it's Veronica Gandini's colors and lighting that really takes it to another level; she's definitely the secret weapon of this creative team.

currently following:

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I bought this book for Jefferson and Dexter Soy's art. I like other members on the team, but that's what brought me to it. Been enjoying it, and as expected, characters I normally only casually enjoy (Katana) are becoming more and more favorites under Soy's pencils. Like on Red Hood, he's killing every issue and it feels like we've got him here for only a while, as he's destined to move on to a bigger book. Until then, as with Red Hood, I'll enjoy every issue he's on.

The tenuous connection to Batman feels like an artifact that needs to go. I would prefer the book if Black Lightning or Katana took the reins and we moved away from Ra's Al Ghul. It would certainly give the cast more room for development. I guess the fact that its senior members are acting as teachers to Bruce's junior sidekicks doesn't help reduce his presence.

Spectacular Member

I really do enjoy seeing Tatsu's and Jeff's relationship develop in the story. Must be how little girls felt with Twilight. I would like to see them interact more with Duke and Cass more though.

BANNED

I think in future they will interact more with Duke and Cass, but now "couples" need to actually start dating officially (Jefferson with Tatsu and Duke with Cass the ultimate waifu), it´ll be fun seeing Cass asking relationship´s advices to Tatsu or Duke to Jeff.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheManhunterfromMars View Post
    I think in future they will interact more with Duke and Cass, but now "couples" need to actually start dating officially (Jefferson with Tatsu and Duke with Cass the ultimate waifu), it´ll be fun seeing Cass asking relationship´s advices to Tatsu or Duke to Jeff.
    I feel like one couple at least needs to stay platonic else it's just too similar, thus uninteresting to read.

BANNED

Platonic is boring, I´ll pass. Also, Cass needs to be happy, most of her life was pretty sad.