Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin View Post
    At this point, I think I just want Duke written off of here. Thirteen issues and Hill hasn’t done squat with him.
    that's the catch-22 of it all. it's like, is it better for Duke to stay in the book, continue to be mishandled, and possibly end up lost to obscurity due to the treatment? or should they just have him taken out the book, run the risk of obscurity anyway, and hope for someone else (that may never come) to take him on? 12 issues in and it feels like Duke is in worse shape now than when Hill got his hands on him.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 05-11-2020 at 07:54 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin View Post
    At this point, I think I just want Duke written off of here. Thirteen issues and Hill hasn’t done squat with him.
    If this book gets another arc, i hope Hill considers adding some new characters so we can get some dynamic changes.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    that's the catch-22 of it all. it's like, is it better for Duke to stay in the book, continue to be mishandled, and possibly end up lost to obscurity due to the treatment? or should they just have him taken out the book, run the risk of obscurity anyway, and hope for someone else (that may never come) to take him on? 12 issues in and it feels like Duke is in worse shape now than when Hill got his hands on him.
    At first it seemed like we were going to get a mentor/mentee relationship with Jeff and Duke. But nothing.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    If this book gets another arc, i hope Hill considers adding some new characters so we can get some dynamic changes.
    Part of the current story is set in Markovia, so adding Geo-Force, one of the original Outsiders, wouldn't be a bad idea.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Could do with a new codename. Geo-Force is clunky.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

reposting my thoughts from the Duke thread, any thoughts? am I being too hasty to judge? do you guys not mind the direction?

also edited the first page to include Sofia as an official member and link to each character's appreciation thread.
    Sadly I've never seen the appeal in Duke. I was hoping this book would sell me. I bought it for Soy's art, Black Lightning and Katana. Cass was a wash, I've been unimpressed with most writers using her since One Year Later so while I don't need to be sold on her, she isn't also a draw for me. Jeff and Tatsu are the anchors for me. The further the book pulls from either of them (or both), the more I'll lose interest.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

How is this title doing sales wise? I really am enjoying it and it's been awhile since I've liked a team book so much. With the Terrifics ending, maybe Metamorpho can join up!
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Sadly I've never seen the appeal in Duke. I was hoping this book would sell me. I bought it for Soy's art, Black Lightning and Katana. Cass was a wash, I've been unimpressed with most writers using her since One Year Later so while I don't need to be sold on her, she isn't also a draw for me. Jeff and Tatsu are the anchors for me. The further the book pulls from either of them (or both), the more I'll lose interest.
    i was hoping this would be the book to build on the character and draw more interest to the him but this definitely wasn't the title to pick up if you wanted to sell Duke to someone who wasn't invested; hell it's not really the book for someone who was invested in Duke. I don't think Hill's pacing ability is conducive to balancing the whole team compellingly.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Am I the only one who's a tad bit Tired and Bored w this Ra's Al Ghul storyline taking way too Long.it's going into issue 15 for August Solictations I hope Bryan Hill hurry up before DC lose another buyer of this book.i really enjoy 3 or 4 story arc's to drag this out this long make's u think what is his game plan.

i was hoping this would be the book to build on the character and draw more interest to the him but this definitely wasn't the title to pick up if you wanted to sell Duke to someone who wasn't invested; hell it's not really the book for someone who was invested in Duke. I don't think Hill's pacing ability is conducive to balancing the whole team compellingly.
    I'm with you because it really does feel like Jeff and Tatsu's book, but I really enjoy them so I'm fine with that. He's doing well by them.

I will say that Tatsu all but telling Jeff that she's interested but her heart and soul will always be with her deceased husband is all kinds of whack. Like damn, I can totally buy Tatsu feeling that way and appreciate the honesty, but damn if I don't blame Jeff for walking.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    How is this title doing sales wise? I really am enjoying it and it's been awhile since I've liked a team book so much. With the Terrifics ending, maybe Metamorpho can join up!
    It must be doing good enough since it's still being printed and not turning into a digital only series like a lot of marvel/dc low selling titles currently.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    Am I the only one who's a tad bit Tired and Bored w this Ra's Al Ghul storyline taking way too Long.it's going into issue 15 for August Solictations I hope Bryan Hill hurry up before DC lose another buyer of this book.i really enjoy 3 or 4 story arc's to drag this out this long make's u think what is his game plan.
    It's not just you.

Also it's really telling that the book is not doing a tie in to Joker upcoming event. Yet all the other Batman books are.

Like I said in Duke's thread-what does that say about him? Jokers running wild and someone who suffered at the hands of Joker is not there or it looks like he is not there.

Like I said in another thread-putting characters in the hands of folks who don't care for them-makes it harder to sell them.

I also find it ultra hypocritical to see fans defend DC against Tony Isabella's comments about Black Lighting and the book. It's their character and they can do whatever.

Yet when it's Wally, X-Men, Batman, Nightwing and even Matt Trakker at IDW-it's "you can't do this to MY character" and pure hostility towards certain creators.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It's not just you.

Also it's really telling that the book is not doing a tie in to Joker upcoming event. Yet all the other Batman books are.

Like I said in Duke's thread-what does that say about him? Jokers running wild and someone who suffered at the hands of Joker is not there or it looks like he is not there.

Like I said in another thread-putting characters in the hands of folks who don't care for them-makes it harder to sell them.

I also find it ultra hypocritical to see fans defend DC against Tony Isabella's comments about Black Lighting and the book. It's their character and they can do whatever.

Yet when it's Wally, X-Men, Batman, Nightwing and even Matt Trakker at IDW-it's "you can't do this to MY character" and pure hostility towards certain creators.
    I don't know Matt Trakker, but let's not pretend that Black Lightning is as big as Nightwing, Wally or Batman. I love Jefferson, but all three of them are larger IP with longer, more beloved publishing history with which to build that level of fan attachment.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    It must be doing good enough since it's still being printed and not turning into a digital only series like a lot of marvel/dc low selling titles currently.
    That's true, I'm just worried cause it didn't have a tie in to Joker War or whatever. I mean, I guess it's not really a Batman title. So maybe that's why...

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    It has been going on for a bit to long, I mean, I'm still enjoying the series a lot. But I also can't wait to see them fight a different bad guy haha.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I'm with you because it really does feel like Jeff and Tatsu's book, but I really enjoy them so I'm fine with that. He's doing well by them.

I will say that Tatsu all but telling Jeff that she's interested but her heart and soul will always be with her deceased husband is all kinds of whack. Like damn, I can totally buy Tatsu feeling that way and appreciate the honesty, but damn if I don't blame Jeff for walking.
    Did Technocrat make it back into the book?