Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought the bald look worked well in the DC Nation shorts, but I'm not dedicated to it.
    I remember the designs on that having excessive line economy so it definitely worked there, but personally the Meltzer era JLA look for Jefferson is just not my favorite. His current look is very similar to be honest, but he looks better with hair. Give him Cress Williams' beard, though. It really does make him look cooler. I don't want anyone to say it's too recognizable while Green Arrow rocks that sweet goatee. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I remember the designs on that having excessive line economy so it definitely worked there, but personally the Meltzer era JLA look for Jefferson is just not my favorite. His current look is very similar to be honest, but he looks better with hair. Give him Cress Williams' beard, though. It really does make him look cooler. I don't want anyone to say it's too recognizable while Green Arrow rocks that sweet goatee. :P
    The Meltzer era JLA costume has definitely stood the test of time as far as influencing Black Lightning's modern costume, at least.

reposting my thoughts on the new details on Future State: Outsiders from Brandon Thomas' interview with Newarama:

Quote Originally Posted by Gamesradar
    Newsarama:What can you tell us about Gotham City under the Magistrate as it's related to the Outsiders?

Brandon Thomas:
    Gotham is even more dangerous and brutal and uncompromising under The Magistrate's rule. I think its current status plays into a lot of existential fears we're all having about militarized police forces, surveillance tech run amok, and creeping authoritarianism.

-----

Nrama: can you tell readers what meaning the Outsiders take on in the first story? And what does it mean for the story you're trying to tell?

Thomas:
    The Outsiders name becomes very literal in Future State, as they have become the protectors of everything outside the border erected by the Magistrate. So any of the major problems or threats pushed out of there become things they have to deal with. Complicating things even more is the fact the territory is also operating as a safe harbor for political dissidents/protesters that have publicly objected to Magistrate rule and been forced out by violent threats to them and their families.

And on top of all that, when the story begins, 'The Outsiders' just means Katana, as the team has been scattered and separated by recent events. So yeah, there's a lot going on, which I think will be really exciting for the fans, and takes full advantage of the great status quo Future State gives us
    On Katana
    Nrama: Right, Katana is really at the center of most of the first issue. What can you tell readers about her status quo and where her head is at in this Gotham City near future?

Thomas:
    Well, she is (currently) the lone guardian of "the outside." She's the woman on the wall, a force of nature that's made it clear to everyone, even the Magistrate, that her dominion is to be honored and respected at all times.

Whether that's actually the case is something the story deals with directly, but I'd say the thing she's battling more than anything, in the beginning, is a sense of loneliness and deep isolation. We don't deal much with how her current status came to be, just the emotional effects it's having on her mission right now, and again, this is another element that feels very much on a lot of people's minds. Even someone as naturally solitary as Katana needs some human interaction to function normally, and we'll have to see if denying that leads to any big problems for her.
    Katana is the leader of "The Outside" and I can already tell i'm gonna wanna see more of The Outside led by Katana, as a concept, after only seeing 2 issues. i wonder how/if he intends to play with that concept in the present with Urban Legends; probably will only be allowed to let her lead the team or something. I'm curious if they are gonna address the Soultakers new look. it very clearly looks to be magically amped, i wonder if that means she's been upping her magic skills. I also wonder, since this first issue is focused on her and Black Lightning, will they pick up the romantic/sexual tension from the Hill run? I'm not sure how i would feel about that.

On Duke Thomas:
    Nrama: DC has revealed in the solicitation copy Duke Thomas and Black Lightning are the other characters from the last Outsiders incarnation to star in this story. What can you tell us about how we find each character? DC has made no secret Black Lightning shows up as literal black lightning?

Thomas:
    Ha, yeah, I was curious if that was gonna get out there before it shipped, but I won't say much more about Black Lightning and his current status, but Duke's current POV is something that felt like a perfect escalation and gives him a real prominence within this future DCU. His identity as the Signal is public, and he's used that to carve out a role as a face of the resistance, making him a wanted man by the Magistrate. When the issue opens, he's smuggling some protestors out of the city, trying to get them to"the outside" and under the protection of Katana.

So this scary new world has demanded more from everyone, and Duke Thomas is now equally at home giving inspirational speeches, and leading protests/rallies, as he is at busting heads. I loved writing him with this new state of mind, and though he and Katana are initially apart, there's a lot of devotion and commitment still there, and you'll see that on display.
    he also spoke about Duke on Twitter:
    Quote Originally Posted by bwrites247
    You will not be disappointed by Duke's role in Future State Outsiders. #2 is essentially a spotlight issue for him, and predicting people will demand more. LOVED writing him, and it shows.
    As a hardcore Duke fan, i'm supremely happy to see this. I am a little bummed at how unchanged his design is (what appears to be a bland lowcut and his usual Signal armor suit), but this direction is super dope. feels like a natural progression of Signal given his background in We are Robin. I also think this elevated status in Gotham could point to him being the 2045 Batman. It sounds like there is more that Thomas would like to do with Duke in his tweet, so i hope that's an indication that we'll see Duke in his Outsiders story in Urban Legends.

On Black Lightning
    Thomas: I won't say much more about Black Lightning and his current status.

-----

Nrama: Is there any other past or 'past-future' of the Outsiders that show up in your story?

Thomas:
    Hah, do you mean the previous versions of the book? Something that definitely ties into the most recent Bryan Hill run is an escalation of Black Lightning's powers, which is carried forward in an interesting way here.
    Nothing much more on Black Lightning besides a colored preview image in his energy form. I'm getting a little nervous that they're gonna make
    Dr. Manhattan-ify him but I think they are keeping it close to the vest. it's just a back-up, they probably can only afford to show so much.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 12-23-2020 at 11:26 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

the remaining previewed images
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I'm a simple man. I see Jefferson using black lightning and I approve.

Looking forward to this.

I'm actually glad to see Kaliber back

Not sure how to feel about Robo Katana.

All this has me giddy! Kaliber is still in the picture and that’s great. I’m loving everything they’re putting down with the Outsiders. This art rocks, too!

Default In the beginning . . .

First appearance: Batman & The Outsiders Preview
    in The Brave and the Bold #200 (July 1983)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    First appearance: Batman & The Outsiders Preview
    in The Brave and the Bold #200 (July 1983)
    I always loved how Batman wrote Halo's name especially off to the side because he predicted his thumb would be there. Now I see where Waid/Morrison got the Batgod stuff from.

Naturally, he's on his own roster and must be noted as #1. This is Bruce we're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I always loved how Batman wrote Halo's name especially off to the side because he predicted his thumb would be there. Now I see where Waid/Morrison got the Batgod stuff from.

Naturally, he's on his own roster and must be noted as #1. This is Bruce we're talking about.
    Actually, the list appears to be in alphabetical order, so "Bat" would come before "Black".

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Actually, the list appears to be in alphabetical order, so "Bat" would come before "Black".
    Sure, but Bruce also strikes me as the kind of person to use that as the justification for picking a list that selects him first. He's forming his team, he doesn't need to put himself on the roster since it's a foregone conclusion. It's like when kids write: "My book report by Joe Kid."

Redundant, but Bruce and his eye for branding make it clear to me he would never miss a chance to put himself out there.

I just assumed Bruce was putting them in order of how the team was locked in, so since he's forming the team he would be the first one to be a part of it.