Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Was Gwen's mother ever mentioned in the Romita years?
    Not once, it was really odd.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Was Gwen's mother ever mentioned in the Romita years? I would speculate that the absence of her mother during childhood/adolescence simply caused her to form a very strong attachment to her father, but that she remained largely "healthy" emotionally as her father was able to provide a stable upbringing unlike Mary Jane or Harry. I imagine that Captain Stacy's death had a more deleterious effect on Gwen's emotional/mental state. (That is if we try to make sense of her character, which has honestly been very inconsistent)
    I don’t why but I can’t help but scoff at this.

Writers forget that you need two parents to have children all the time. There’s probably not anything significant behind it. Weisman felt it was important enough to make Gwen’s mother dead but that’s it.

And never say that Harry and MJ are consistently written. They just aren’t.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I don’t why but I can’t help but scoff at this.

Writers forget that you need two parents to have children all the time. There’s probably not anything significant behind it. Weisman felt it was important enough to make Gwen’s mother dead but that’s it.

And never say that Harry and MJ are consistently written. They just aren’t.
    Oh I'm sure Stan just didn't care enough to include Gwen's mom. But I love to overanalyze stuff like this and pick fictional characters apart. Nothing serious. Just a fun little exercise.

And Harry and MJ certainly have had their moments of inconsistency (just compare JMS MJ to Slott MJ.) But Gwen really lacked a solid consistent foundation. For her relatively short tenure in the book, her characterization was all over the place IMO. And her death really prevented future writers from solidifying her in the way that Harry and MJ have been.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 10-12-2020 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    I would argue that the Emma Stone and Spectacular Spider-Man versions also helped to keep the character relevant in a certain section of the fanbase. Especially Gen-Zs (Like me)
    i forgot emma stone existed sjsjsjnsnsnsnsmsmskkdk
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think her severe mood swinging might have been in part born from a loss of a mother figure, but that's just my speculation.
    I think her constant mood swinging was just a symptom of the more melodramatic storytelling and sexism of the 60s. She was the fragile “girlfriend character” and so she had to fly into fits of rage or burst into tears depending on the plot. I’m not sure there’s any logical way to explain this. Maybe unresolved grief? Or maybe some type of mood disorder? Since the mood swings were mostly ignored in story, and are really only viewed as mood swings by a modern lens, I just ignored it and chalked it up to the times.

Ditko’s Gwen, however, was clearly a hothead with a chip on her shoulder.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 10-12-2020 at 11:21 AM.

You mention the movies and the cartoons... don't forget the Ultimate Comics.

And Bendis managed to reference Kitty Pryde and the Justice Society on that page.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Exclamation

As an aside, the more I examine those Young Carlie and Young Gwen panels, the more I think Kindred could be either Gwen herself or Carlie in disguise. I find it interesting Carlie returned and was shown to be connected to Gwen. There have just been too many recent bread crumbs regarding 616 Gwen vis-à-vis our resident centipede-loving mummy person for a coincidence.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Norman called Kindred a boy, which would seemingly rule out both of them.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Norman called Kindred a boy, which would seemingly rule out both of them.
    Again, Kindred's a demon; Gender is probably fluid for them.

A valid point or Norman's statement is simply narrative misdirection (which will be explained later).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    As an aside, the more I examine those Young Carlie and Young Gwen panels, the more I think Kindred could be either Gwen herself or Carlie in disguise. I find it interesting Carlie returned and was shown to be connected to Gwen. There have just been too many recent bread crumbs regarding 616 Gwen vis-à-vis our resident centipede-loving mummy person for a coincidence.
    Carlie's connection with Gwen is from BND era, a few months before even Grim Hunt, and while she did return, Spencer's run hasn't shown Carlie's connection with Gwen, not even in that brief flashback about Carlie's past in ASM#45.

Says who?

Mysterio also knows his real name and calls Kindred a "he", and he's called a man who became a demon in that therapy session in ASM#24, so yeah, this would be a half assed red herring.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    A valid point or Norman's statement is simply narrative misdirection (which will be explained later).
    Or be like Red Hulk and make no sense lol.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 10-12-2020 at 06:09 PM.