Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    BANNED

The best thing I can say in the way of appreciation, is that while I was growing up, out of all the Silver Age female characters, she was by far my favorite. Maybe because I followed Spider-Man more than any other title, when I was a kid, she even clinged way past the Silver Age. Despite better writers having crafted better characters over time, Gwen Stacy still holds a special place for me.

I got introduced to Gwen reading Spider-Man Blue and other post death stories; for me after watching webbs films I saw a great amount of potential, it would be nice to explore that for a bit in the modern age - what would she be like if she knew Peter was Spider-Man and so many other questions
    Truth is the best policy

BANNED

To be honest, when I got into Spider-Man around the late 90s and 2000s, Gwen Stacy was largely obscure and known only in a few corners in the internet. I first came across her while reading online wikis, and I read about her long before I saw an image of her.

My introduction to her was also Spider-Man Blue, which is a pretty wonderful story and the chiffon light aesthetic of that captures nostalgia like nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by VolcanikTiger86 View Post
    I got introduced to Gwen reading Spider-Man Blue and other post death stories; for me after watching webbs films I saw a great amount of potential, it would be nice to explore that for a bit in the modern age - what would she be like if she knew Peter was Spider-Man and so many other questions
    The best part of those movies was Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy and her relationship and chemistry with Garfield's Peter Parker. Could've been so good!

Very True, I think the issue was they wanted to world build while at the same time do a adaption of the night gwen stacy died, I think if they had to they should have done it as the last movie rather than the second one trilogy with Gwen then the next with more than likely MJ. But no we need to rush things I mean it suck for me the best part of ASM2 was the ending with the rhino everything else but I could have a bias because I had it spoiled that it was a NGSD adaption so that affected my enjoyment and I wasn't a fan of the whole parker family thing they had going
    Truth is the best policy

BANNED

The Amazing Movies should never have adapted The Night Gwen Stacy Died, period. The minute you make Gwen a character there's no reason to do that story. The Night Gwen Stacy Died is not a story about Gwen, with the title being quite misleading. It's at heart a low-stakes story...i.e not Spider-Man's last adventure, not an AU where all bets are off.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The Amazing Movies should never have adapted The Night Gwen Stacy Died, period. The minute you make Gwen a character there's no reason to do that story. The Night Gwen Stacy Died is not a story about Gwen, with the title being quite misleading. It's at heart a low-stakes story...i.e not Spider-Man's last adventure, not an AU where all bets are off.
    They did that to heighten the tragedy of Gwen's death, but yes, their entire approach was ill-conceived and missed the point of the original. TNGSD is a story about Peter, Norman, and, to a lesser extent, Mary Jane. Gwen is basically a prop in that story.

More on topic, I too remember when Gwen was more of a niche unknown character (pre SM3). I first read about her in a Spider-Man encyclopedia that I had as a kid. The first issue that I read with Gwen Stacy in it (albeit dead) was a reprint of ASM #122. Reading that as a kid (particularly the epilogue) was very powerful stuff. Afterwards, It was interesting going back and exploring this meaningful relationship that Peter had with someone other than MJ and/or Black Cat (as had been depicted in the cartoons and movies at the time.) IMO Gwen was at her best in her earliest appearances.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 01-14-2020 at 11:54 AM.

cover variant n 1

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    cover variant n 1
    Gorgeous cover .

I really like Gwen, but if I'm really honest, the best stories about her or with her in it are those written after her death (Spider-Man: Blue, the scenes in Clone Conspiracy between her and Peter, the Spectacular Spider-Man show, the Webb films, and technically Spider-Gwen if you want to count her). I feel that Gwen's character before her death however was honestly not as good or great a character as the Gwen that appears in Spider-Man: Blue or other such stories written after her death. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Gorgeous cover .
    It truly is.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I first meet Miss Stacy in the very first Spider-Man comic I ever bought and read.
    Issue #52 of Marvel Tales.
    I liked the character right from the start.
    Stan and John did a great job with her.
    1261023.jpg

BANNED

Going back more than 40 years is tough, but I think the first story I read (with her in it) was either a reprint of ASM #31 or one of ASM #111. Hard to say which one, because there's no record of when they were actually published. Both came out in 1979, in Spain, but the one where I recall Gwen, is obviously the Romita one. BTW, is curious that I came across the character in the Conway era, who used it reluctantly. Despite that, I liked her more than the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdman3000 View Post
    I really like Gwen, but if I'm really honest, the best stories about her or with her in it are those written after her death (Spider-Man: Blue, the scenes in Clone Conspiracy between her and Peter, the Spectacular Spider-Man show, the Webb films, and technically Spider-Gwen if you want to count her). I feel that Gwen's character before her death however was honestly not as good or great a character as the Gwen that appears in Spider-Man: Blue or other such stories written after her death. But that's just me.
    Pretty sure Conway said Gwen Stacy is only important because she died.

That’s why I think the character should stay dead permanently and Spider-Gwen should never have been made.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    BTW, is curious that I came across the character in the Conway era, who used it reluctantly. Despite that, I liked her more than the competition.
    Conway originally in issues 110-120 continued on dutifully from the Lee-Romita era and worked with the characters, albeit he had some constrictions. Like for instance a story from the black-and-white Spectacular Spider-Man Magazine (not to be confused with the Spectacular satellite title launched later) featuring Raleigh was adapted by him, so in the middle of his first ten issues, suddenly you had a two-parter that continuity wise seemed odd.

He was the first writer doing the title after Lee stepped down and I think initially Conway would have just continued doing what was expected which was imitating Lee. I think The Night Gwen Stacy Died freed him and allowed him to find his own voice and more importantly evolve Peter away from the Lee-Romita shade so that he could change and grow.