Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Ryan Ottley off "Amazing Spider-Man"

Well, this is major. The main artist of the current Amazing Spider-Man series, Ryan Ottley has decided to leave the book. Here is the full Instagram note below.

Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 1.27.25 PM.jpg

Like Mr. Ottley mentioned, he had around 20 interior issues on the title, including several covers. While he had a short run on the title, I believe he truly left a solid visual mark.

As of right now, upcoming artists on ASM include Patrick Gleason (who just got named a Marvel Stormbreaker, congrats!) and Mark Bagley.

I'm ok with this.

While I thought he did a good job, I always felt the tone of his drawing came off a little cartoon-like and light hearted... I think this was the coloring more than his pencils because everytime I see the pencils only it is darker and cooler looking (imo). If Spider-Man is going dark with the upcoming arcs, its going to need a more ominous/menacing art tone to really land for me.

The art was great for the issues he was in though. Hope we see him in some cool projects soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    I'm ok with this.

While I thought he did a good job, I always felt the tone of his drawing came off a little cartoon-like and light hearted... I think this was the coloring more than his pencils because everytime I see the pencils only it is darker and cooler looking (imo). If Spider-Man is going dark with the upcoming arcs, its going to need a more ominous/menacing art tone to really land for me.

The art was great for the issues he was in though. Hope we see him in some cool projects soon!
    I agree on the toning issue. Gleason's art is able to capture both aspects, and with "Last Remains" being the darkest arc thus far, I think it's safe to say he can deliver that tone you're looking for. I know Bagley can as well!

BANNED

Great artist but I never really warmed up to him for ASM. Too cartoony as already mentioned. I'm good with Gleason or Bagley jumping on, especially Bagley, thought his work in 850 was the best of the three.

Well I really liked his art but he never was able to make more than 3 issues in a row and since his arc were very spaced out I never felt that he was the main artist on the title.
    Sadly because of that, his run will not be unforgettable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Wars View Post
    Well I really liked his art but he never was able to make more than 3 issues in a row and since his arc were very spaced out I never felt that he was the main artist on the title.
    Sadly because of that, his run will not be unforgettable for me.
    To be fair, he did contribute five issues to the first arc. And as for no more than three issues, that may not be all on Ottley. There's been a revolving door of artists on this title that (hopefully) is being streamlined with this current change.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey5640 View Post
    Great artist but I never really warmed up to him for ASM. Too cartoony as already mentioned. I'm good with Gleason or Bagley jumping on, especially Bagley, thought his work in 850 was the best of the three.
    Bagley is likely the lead candidate for becoming a main ASM artist once again: out of the three artists for #850, Bagley contributed the most pages. What I would like from him is a better inker and colorist if they're going to keep him on.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    To be fair, he did contribute five issues to the first arc. And as for no more than three issues, that may not be all on Ottley. There's been a revolving door of artists on this title that (hopefully) is being streamlined with this current change.
    Yeah it's true and it's a real problem with this run.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Bagley is likely the lead candidate for becoming a main ASM artist once again: out of the three artists for #850, Bagley contributed the most pages. What I would like from him is a better inker and colorist if they're going to keep him on.
    I hope Bagley sticks around for a while. In my mind, his art is basically my Amazing Spider-Man so that would be great.

Despite most taste in art be subjective, I believe Bagely's Spider-Man art could be scientically proven to be objectively high quality in terms of human experience.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 10-09-2020 at 12:29 PM.

Nooo. His art was a perfect fresh fit on the title, we were lucky to have him for what we did coming straight off of Invincible.

I wonder who replaces him. So far this run we had Ryan Ottley jump ship from independents to Spidey, and Patrick Gleason jumped ship from DC to Spidey. Keep on bringing the fresh faces over!

I wouldn't be sad to see more Bagley of course, though. Nothing against Ramos but he had his swansong on Hunted, and then another swansong on #850- I just want more fresh artists. At this point even Bagley feels more fresh because he hasn't been on ASM in decades whereas Humberto has been a staple for the last 10 years, then had a big stint 7 years before that with PPSM/SSM.

Fantastic Member

Gonna miss Ottley, I think his iteration of Kindred is my favorite compared to everyone else who's drawn him. With Invincible about to blow up though, cant blame him for wanting to make himself available.

I just hope the book finds a consistent artist! Gleason was originally announced to be this but then he wasnt for awhile. Bagley was a treat but seems like he is off and on. Gleason's art and covers of what we've seen coming up here look great, so heres hoping he stays around!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Ironically, "lighthearted" also came with an overuse of blood and gorn.

I'm honestly not going to miss him.

ugh this sucks but if this results in a consistent Artist for the book im all for it I want either gleason or bagley.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Fantastic Member

Apperently a newsletter just announced Bagley will be doing the interiors of #53, with Gleason only doing #50-#52, but covers for all of Last Remains, so guess its gonna continue to not stay consistent. I wonder why that is? Just because it's too much of a work load?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkalamari View Post
    Apperently a newsletter just announced Bagley will be doing the interiors of #53, with Gleason only doing #50-#52, but covers for all of Last Remains, so guess its gonna continue to not stay consistent. I wonder why that is? Just because it's too much of a work load?
    What newsletter? I'm curious.