Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Plus the red and black compliment MJ well .

As cheesecake-y as it is, I think the Cockrum design is still a pretty snazzy costume. Janet Van Dyne designed it, so that's probably why it's as flashy as it is, although Carol didn't mind it (and Kamala liked it).
    While Kamala liked the thunderbolt enough to adopt it as her own logo, she didn't like the costume itself. She tried it, shapeshifted into Carol's form, and then complained it gave her an "epic wedgie".
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

What is Marvel hoping to achieve with all this cover-age? It seems overkill for the purpose of promoting a five-issue miniseries.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Carol's original outfit would be more appropriate for an AMJ variant, since you know MJ actually was her supporting character and confidant in the first three issues of Ms. Marvel, when Gerry Conway launched it.

The optics of Gwen with Carol's Dave Cockrum's one-piece/sash outfit is really weird. That outfit specifically was mocked for being overly sexualized and inappropriate for a former USAF pilot, and was specifically something that Brie Larsen worried about until Feige assured her that they would not use it, going with McKelvie's redesign.

Now you have a comic with Carol's second outfit with Gwen in the same ensemble she wore when she died (which isn't her freaking uniform, she had other outfits). It's simultaneously reminding people of Gwen who got fridged, and Carol in the dress she wore in Avengers #200.
    There is some difference in that Gwen is wearing a brown coat instead of a green one she was wearing in the The Night Gwen Stacy Died. Other than that, yeah, it is an odd choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    What is Marvel hoping to achieve with all this cover-age? It seems overkill for the purpose of promoting a five-issue miniseries.
    To artificially inflate orders.

BANNED

Jane Foster and Thor (that appalling issue where Odin banishes her)
    The following one was even more so. After years of Thor complaining to his father, to get the relationship approved, as soon as he laid eyes on Sif, it was like "Jane who?".

Fantastic Member

Uh...is Marvel dohbling down on Sins Past?

That ‘young and strong’ line is somewhat suspect. It’s either that or maybe when Gwen said ‘young and strong’ coming out wrong she meant it look like she was calling Norman old and weak, which is pretty offensive. Either way this Gwen’s face in the second panel is freaking bizarre - looks more flirtatious than curious.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post
    Gwen’s face in the second panel is freaking bizarre - looks more flirtatious than curious.
    In a previous reply to you, I brought up the inability of most of Spider-Man's artists, to properly draw faces. Todd Nauck's is no exception, and his attempts at depicting nuance will surely be lost. I'll wait to see where it is they're actually going.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    In a previous reply to you, I brought up the inability of most of Spider-Man's artists, to properly draw faces. Todd Nauck's is no exception, and his attempts at depicting nuance will surely be lost. I'll wait to see where it is they're actually going.
    The problem is every other panel looks fine. Norman is pissed in the first one about being accused, Gwen is interrogative in the third, and Gwen is cringing in the last for her slip. Even Norman’s smile at the end visually conveys ‘holy **** I thought she was onto me’. It’s just that second panel that looks super off.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post
    The problem is every other panel looks fine. Norman is pissed in the first one about being accused, Gwen is interrogative in the third, and Gwen is cringing in the last for her slip. Even Norman’s smile at the end visually conveys ‘holy **** I thought she was onto me’. It’s just that second panel that looks super off.
    Maybe he was trying to depict her enticement while playing the role of wannabe detective, who knows? That's the problem with nuanced expressions, the others you mention aren't.

BANNED

The Gwen and Norman interactions feel really creepy to me.

I don't understand the intent here. If they are trying to set up some sense of irony and poignancy, then Spider-Man Blue did that, where you had a moment where amnesiac Norman actually saved Gwen by pushing her away from falling debris (which also reflects something that happened in the Lee-Romita run after the Brainwasher story).

This scene between Norman and Gwen felt off to me, as did the dialogue with George Stacy worried that Green Goblin would target Gwen and so on...

so much for this series trying to distance Gwen away from her most famous story.

Fantastic Member

The Gwen and Norman interactions feel really creepy to me.

I don't understand the intent here. If they are trying to set up some sense of irony and poignancy, then Spider-Man Blue did that, where you had a moment where amnesiac Norman actually saved Gwen by pushing her away from falling debris (which also reflects something that happened in the Lee-Romita run after the Brainwasher story).

This scene between Norman and Gwen felt off to me, as did the dialogue with George Stacy worried that Green Goblin would target Gwen and so on...

so much for this series trying to distance Gwen away from her most famous story.
    Yeah. ‘Gwen Stacy’s story didn’t start when she first met Peter’, says the solicits. Second issue then proceeds to hammer in irony points with Gwen getting entangled with Norman and hinting at Sins Past.

Spider-Gwen is still the best thing that could have ever happened to Gwen, it seems.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    Spider-Gwen is still the best thing that could have ever happened to Gwen, it seems.
    Basically an OC who shares the same name and has nothing to do with her.

Basically an OC who shares the same name and has nothing to do with her.
    Exactly, because the alternative just seems to be treating her like an angel or waving Sins Past in our faces.