Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by federicodettofred View Post
    Wait, what? Did Marvel really do a OC Gwen mini series? I completely forgot about that. WHY? Spider-Gwen is already an idiotic character based on nostalgia and makes no sense at all, we even have to see "the original untold stories" of Gwen before her relationship with Peter? Why can't Marvel leave her dead? She was an important character and she died, that's it. Why does Marvel have this urge to ruin her character and beat-up a dead horse by terrible retcons (you already know what story I'm referring to) or useless old stories about her being a vigilante (she hated Spider-Man! SHE HATED VIGILANTES!). Is this simple to be a Marvel writer?
    Nostalgia sells. That's one of the reasons why there was some money to be made by publishing comics, at least before the pandemic. Marvel may follow suit and reduce the number of publications now (like DC).

As to why keep using a character they're determined to keep dead... same reason, they think they can make a profit.

And yes, I also feel that the idea to bestow powers on virtually every character in the supporting cast, to see what sticks, is idiotic, but for whatever reason, with Spider-Gwen they struck a little bit of gold.

Also yes, sometimes is very easy to be a Marvel writer, you just have to be there and wait your opportunity.

Finally, not all retcons were bad (Blue).

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Nostalgia sells. That's one of the reasons why there was some money to be made by publishing comics, at least before the pandemic. Marvel may follow suit and reduce the number of publications now (like DC).

As to why keep using a character they're determined to keep dead... same reason, they think they can make a profit.

And yes, I also feel that the idea to bestow powers on virtually every character in the supporting cast, to see what sticks, is idiotic, but for whatever reason, with Spider-Gwen they struck a little bit of gold.

Also yes, sometimes is very easy to be a Marvel writer, you just have to be there and wait your opportunity.

Finally, not all retcons were bad (Blue).
    I was referring to the fact that they seem to have a urge to put Gwen in every kind of situation just for "shock value". Having her fathering twins with Osborn, having her as a controversial character in a mini-series, having her discovering Spider-Man's true identity right before her fall... WHY? Leave her alone, she died in the 70's! Create new characters for Christ sake. Also, Spider-Gwen is still a stupid and useless character as every single Spider-character besides Miles Morales. The whole "spider-family" or "spider-gang" has always been ridiculous to me.

Didn't you have the urge to erase your memories after that? Because I did, and I also had a sense of vomit.
    I mean the loops it took to get there were insane I just want to know the thought process to making this comic
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    You'd have to be in your 60s (or close to it) to have nostalgia for Gwen Stacy, which doesn't seem to be the targeted demographic for Spider-Gwen or the Gwen mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    What's the point of canceling a mini-series ?
    Black Lives Matter, maybe? Remember the cops killing George Floyd in May? Maybe there's some content in the remaining issues that doesn't paint the police in a good light and is now considered unsuitable for publication?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Black Lives Matter, maybe? Remember the cops killing George Floyd in May? Maybe there's some content in the remaining issues that doesn't paint the police in a good light and is now considered unsuitable for publication?
    I can't see the issue if the story involves exposing corrupt police, but maybe Marvel thinks it would be difficult for an audience to relate to Gwen Stacy as a blonde, white, daughter of a police captain.

Astonishing Member

Wait, what? Did Marvel really do a OC Gwen mini series? I completely forgot about that. WHY? Spider-Gwen is already an idiotic character based on nostalgia and makes no sense at all, we even have to see "the original untold stories" of Gwen before her relationship with Peter? Why can't Marvel leave her dead? She was an important character and she died, that's it. Why does Marvel have this urge to ruin her character and beat-up a dead horse by terrible retcons (you already know what story I'm referring to) or useless old stories about her being a vigilante (she hated Spider-Man! SHE HATED VIGILANTES!). Is this simple to be a Marvel writer?
    She got over her hatred of Spider-Man, so why’s that an issue?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    You'd have to be in your 60s (or close to it) to have nostalgia for Gwen Stacy, which doesn't seem to be the targeted demographic for Spider-Gwen or the Gwen mini.
    With sales figures being so low, even before the pandemic, every little bit helps keep a title afloat. Spider-Gwen has enjoyed its own mag for more than 5 years, and it'll be back. Nostalgia doesn't apply just to the main character, most of the cast is a re-interpretation of the Spidey cast, this is one of the things Marvel has done more often, since Heroes Reborn.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    She got over her hatred of Spider-Man, so why’s that an issue?
    you mean when she was revive during clone conspiracy?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    you mean when she was revive during clone conspiracy?
    I would think that's what is being referenced.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

gwen sucks but is still popular might as well make her good retroactively
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    spider-gwen is not popular because she is gwen stacy, her concept is a dramatic beat from a spider-man story, she is popular because she has a good design and good stories by 2 creeps and was in a good movie

og gwen remains popular because of j scott campbell variants that highlight the skirt and boots, being a good character in modern stories despite spending most of her publication history as a vapid girlfriend (ditko gwen come back), and her death being an essential historical read
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    spider-gwen is not popular because she is gwen stacy, her concept is a dramatic beat from a spider-man story, she is popular because she has a good design and good stories by 2 creeps and was in a good movie

og gwen remains popular because of j scott campbell variants that highlight the skirt and boots, being a good character in modern stories despite spending most of her publication history as a vapid girlfriend (ditko gwen come back), and her death being an essential historical read
    I would argue that the Emma Stone and Spectacular Spider-Man versions also helped to keep the character relevant in a certain section of the fanbase. Especially Gen-Zs (Like me)

Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    I would argue that the Emma Stone and Spectacular Spider-Man versions also helped to keep the character relevant in a certain section of the fanbase. Especially Gen-Zs (Like me)
    That and she is an example of the ultimate victim becoming the ultimate hero, at least in her general concept (I know 616 Gwen and 65 Gwen are different characters, but one is inspired by the other). I think this is the reason she initially resonated with such a wide audience. 616 Gwen became a prop for 616 Peter whereas 65 Gwen has heroic agency in her own right.
    Last edited by Celgress; 10-11-2020 at 08:21 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    Emma Stone's Gwen is MJ with another name anyways, wouldn't say that's a good thing as a representation of her.

Spectacular Gwen, well, she looks more like Debra, though personality wise she's not like any other version of Gwen (Nor that much like Debra, then again, Spectacular Debra herself was something else in her brief appearance), which is a common trend since Gwen changes a lot per adaptation lol.