Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

She could've easily found out earlier off panel, and just never told Peter she knew. MJ turned out to have known for a long time when he fessed up to her.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    She could've easily found out earlier off panel, and just never told Peter she knew. MJ turned out to have known for a long time when he fessed up to her.
    Didn't Clone Conspiracy say she only realized it after she heard the Goblin call him Peter before she died?

Then again, she's apparently a Nancy Drew-level Super Sleuth now, so maybe she did figure it out beforehand (or did and was in denial).

BANNED

There's a huge difference. There's no foundation for Gwen to be aware that Peter is Spider-Man at any time during their relationship.

In the case of Mary Jane, the foundation is,
    -- In AF#15, it was mentioned that Aunt May after Ben got shot stayed at the next door neighbour. It was unmentioned at the time, but later issues confirmed that was Anna Watson, so it was entirely within the realm of plausibility that Mary Jane could have been there that night and seen Peter change costumes.
    -- In the entire Lee-Romita era, MJ famously only had one thought balloon, so there's not a lot of moments in her early appearances for any retcon to contradict. Moreover, MJ liked both Spider-Man and Peter, so her behaviour and attitude psychologically speaking makes sense.

If Gwen knew all along, then her relationship with Peter makes zero sense on any psychological level. She hated Spider-Man and said so multiple times, it is one of her fundamental character traits.

BANNED

The only character that really suspected anything was Betty, but Ditko left and this plot was abandoned. Everything else is a series of bad to worse retcons, starting with Captain Stacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Didn't Clone Conspiracy say she only realized it after she heard the Goblin call him Peter before she died?

Then again, she's apparently a Nancy Drew-level Super Sleuth now, so maybe she did figure it out beforehand (or did and was in denial).
    Being in denial makes sense if she hated Spidey. For what it's worth, I don't think she'd have known from the beginning - she didn't even know Peter then. I was thinking that she could've found out after George died. He already knew, so if he had any evidence...
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Being in denial makes sense if she hated Spidey. For what it's worth, I don't think she'd have known from the beginning - she didn't even know Peter then. I was thinking that she could've found out after George died. He already knew, so if he had any evidence...
    The first thing she does after her father dies is join the campaign of Sam Bullitt, a highly authoritarian DA who has a past as a white supremacist, and whose extreme right-wing "law and order" policies includes hunting down Spider-Man without due process. In other words she was willing to be party with a guy who would murder Spider-Man without a second thought. And Gwen also lashes out at Peter for taking photos of Spider-Man at the start of #91. If she knew that Peter was Spider-Man, this makes zero sense, from any psychological perspective, unless she actively had some kind of multiple personality disorder (which has some plausibility since that does explain her extreme shifts in characterization and mood).

George Stacy died in ASM#90, she joins Bullitt's campaign in ASM#91-92, and then in ASM#93-94, she goes to London, where Peter follows her only to mess things up by showing up as Spider-Man in London (ASM#95), and then she comes back to NY after the Drug Trilogy (ASM#96-98).

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post

nice surprise.
    Thanks Spirit2011

Fantastic Member

So not only did Gwen tangle with baddies like Kingpin, Green Goblin and Crime Master but she also had interactions with the 05 X-Men? Not only that, but Green Goblin already attacked her years before she got involved with Spidey and Jean Grey, of all people, came to her rescue? I know they wanted to make her more interesting but cramming as many big names as they could in here really doesn't feel like the right way to do it. By this point I expect her to be palling around with the Fantastic 4 by Issue 5.

That and I have no clue how this can function as an origin story without massively contradicting Gwen's character. Her hatred of Spidey, having a panic attack when she thought Peter was Spider-Man even before her dad died etc etc really isn't going to mesh well with the super sleuth teenager they're going to write her as. Unless they continue retconning Gwen for future issues to come this is less an origin story and more another alternate universe.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post
    So not only did Gwen tangle with baddies like Kingpin, Green Goblin and Crime Master but she also had interactions with the 05 X-Men? Not only that, but Green Goblin already attacked her years before she got involved with Spidey and Jean Grey, of all people, came to her rescue? I know they wanted to make her more interesting but cramming as many big names as they could in here really doesn't feel like the right way to do it. By this point I expect her to be palling around with the Fantastic 4 by Issue 5.

That and I have no clue how this can function as an origin story without massively contradicting Gwen's character. Her hatred of Spidey, having a panic attack when she thought Peter was Spider-Man even before her dad died etc etc really isn't going to mesh well with the super sleuth teenager they're going to write her as. Unless they continue retconning Gwen for future issues to come this is less an origin story and more another alternate universe.
    Agreed on every count, then again it's Christos Cage, what did you expect?

Maybe Xavier will mind wipe her? The X-Men's existence was meant to be secret back then.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post

I can accept her coming across the Green Goblin due to her friendship with Harry... I can even see Gwen knowing about some of the mobsters in NYC like Crime Master and Kingpin due to her connection with her father... but the X-Men?

As for the nasty attitude toward Spider-Man, they might try to do what they did with May when it came to her issues with Spidey as it seems that they filled the same niche (to give Peter a woman he loved who hated his alter ego for drama's sake).

Maybe Xavier will mind wipe her? The X-Men's existence was meant to be secret back then.
    That's a way to explain severe personality changes...

Gage has a history of retroactively ruining things, for me at least. So I’m prepared for him to do some really stupid stuff with the original Gwen Stacy in this book, and in turn the rest of the MU.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    That's a way to explain severe personality changes...
    It's actually so good that a sure bet would be that they miss it.

Fantastic Member

Gwen Stacy 1 Preview:

https://graphicpolicy.com/2020/02/10...-stacy-1-of-5/

So right off the bat they're already making her a far more headstrong and and independent character given how she deals with a jock type coming onto her. Similar to her ASM movie version she's also a genius who's mature compared to her peers given how she's mentioned as acing all her classes and argues that she's a shoe-in to win elections purely on her platform and plans vs the vapid jock, which Harry points out is weird since they're in high school. She's not exactly running for president here.

Looks like the Enforcers are going to try and mess with her to send a message to Captain Stacy. I'm guessing they'll use this as a chance for Spidey to rescue her (and likely retcon the fact that she hated him) or she deals with it on her own to show off her new Nancy Drew credentials.

BANNED

Did they even grant scholarships to people who didn't need them? Just asking, I have no idea.