Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Did they even grant scholarships to people who didn't need them? Just asking, I have no idea.
    There are both need based and scholastic based scholarships. Usually, they're a mix of both factors. It would be interesting if Gwen applied for ESU's science scholarship, but lost to Peter. Hence her fascination with him during Ditko's run. But I honestly don't expect them to go that route.

Fantastic Member

Last I checked scholarships could work if the person was 'appealing' enough for the school to recruit. It's good for a school's rep if they get success stories and a scholarship could be just the thing to incentivize a student to choose them over their competition. Gwen would be getting a ton of scholarships if she really was acing all her classes and has a bunch of extracurriculars on her paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    There are both need based and scholastic based scholarships. Usually, they're a mix of both factors. It would be interesting if Gwen applied for ESU's science scholarship, but lost to Peter. Hence her fascination with him during Ditko's run. But I honestly don't expect them to go that route.
    Thing is wasn't Peter forced to pay for tuition or something?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post
    Thing is wasn't Peter forced to pay for tuition or something?
    He was granted a scholarship to ESU and Gwen knew about this. It was something that she commented on when they first met, and mentioned again later during Ditko's run.

Fantastic Member

He was granted a scholarship to ESU and Gwen knew about this. It was something that she commented on when they first met, and mentioned again later during Ditko's run.

Huh, then it really would fit if he got it over Gwen and this led to her interest. Hope they use it.

Mighty Member

Huh, then it really would fit if he got it over Gwen and this led to her interest. Hope they use it.
    Yeah that would fit nicely in continuity. I'm afraid they'd do something like 'Gwen was secretly a scholarship student too' which would completely defy logic. But seeing as the entire premise of this book is a teenage Gwen battling the gangs of New York, I wouldn't at all be surprised. We'll see.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 02-10-2020 at 12:39 PM.

Gwen Stacy 1 Preview:

https://graphicpolicy.com/2020/02/10...-stacy-1-of-5/

So right off the bat they're already making her a far more headstrong and and independent character given how she deals with a jock type coming onto her. Similar to her ASM movie version she's also a genius who's mature compared to her peers given how she's mentioned as acing all her classes and argues that she's a shoe-in to win elections purely on her platform and plans vs the vapid jock, which Harry points out is weird since they're in high school. She's not exactly running for president here.

Looks like the Enforcers are going to try and mess with her to send a message to Captain Stacy. I'm guessing they'll use this as a chance for Spidey to rescue her (and likely retcon the fact that she hated him) or she deals with it on her own to show off her new Nancy Drew credentials.
    This looks about what I was expecting. Not!Flash is weird, but I guess Flash wouldn't have been that handsy.

(Hope The Enforcers don't job too hard).

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This looks about what I was expecting. Not!Flash is weird, but I guess Flash wouldn't have been that handsy.

(Hope The Enforcers don't job too hard).
    Also different schools. This is Standard High while Peter and Flash are at Midtown.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Her skirt looks more like pants in this image.

Wait, black top, purple pants...that's MJ's look .

Mighty Member

She also has dimples oddly enough.

Fantastic Member

You guys surprised? From what I gathered authors have a bit of a history of transposing traits from MJ to Gwen to try and make her look more appealing. The most recent example (Not Gwen) is Carly Cooper since she stole from just about every major Spider-Man love interest.

BANNED

Except maybe Ditko, no Spider-Man artist has had the ability to really make faces different, which means they resort to very apparent features to make them distinguishable. They draw them with glasses, different hairdos and things like that, and have only a limited array of templates to work with. Just because a template was used first on a given character, doesn't mean they're trying to duplicate that character, they simply lack the tools to draw a new face, without the aid of said major traits.

Not like Gwen's averse to copying MJ - it's the reason for her iconic hairstyle, she cut in the bangs because MJ had them.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Not like Gwen's averse to copying MJ - it's the reason for her iconic hairstyle, she cut in the bangs because MJ had them.
    Which is why her having that hairstyle in this mini is so odd. It would be like illustrating a Romita era Peter Parker in series like Untold Tales.

BANNED

Which is why her having that hairstyle in this mini is so odd. It would be like illustrating a Romita era Peter Parker in series like Untold Tales.
    Most artists and writers favor Romita Sr. Gwen over Ditko's Gwen.

To be honest, I don't think it serves any story purpose. I think the game is to elevate Gwen by sanding off her rough edges as a "true love" to undermine MJ rather than recovering or suggesting a good sense of her as an actual character.

And I honestly don't know why this original Gwen Stacy-protagonist series is doing, because the version of Gwen that has had success is Spider-Gwen and not 616 Gwen.