Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Fallen Angels #5: Sensei (Review & Spoilers)

yeah. yeah this was the best issue so it's a shame it's only got an issue left. This is gonna be a long one:

Issue opens up with the preview where Laura recruits Cable, Husk, and Bling! to the cause.

*The Reservoir*

Laura meets up with Kwannon and tells her that a team has been assembled but is questioned on the merits that she got her team. Kwannon assumed it was her unprecedented reputation among many mutants. Laura tries and shifts the conversation to the vision that Kwannon was shown from the first issue so she explains: "It told me the world is born of opposites. Gods and demons. Paradise and Hell. Whatever Apoth is, the opposite reached out to me to stop it." Kwannon asks Laura if she believes in God. Laura responds that she herself doesn't but she hopes that there is some kind of power behind it all. Kwannon had some prior belief instilled that when she committed her first kill, God would punish her, however that voice never came. Matsu'o had always told her that God creates but the rest is up to them. Whoever granted the vision won't stop Apoth but gave Kwannon the chance to. And now, she must meet with Sinister to confront evolution.

*Bar Sinister*

Sinister opens up by saying he isn't the damned Wizard of Oz. He isn't gonna make a lion brave or give a beating heart to a tin man. Kwannon rebuffs him, she knows very well what he is and is capable of in the department of unlocking potential. When Betsy's soul left Kwannon's, the former took a significant portion of power with her and it left the latter weak. Their enemy is consciousness hidden in technology and she can't reach that far with her current level. Sinister reveals he's been analyzing the Overclock technology that Kwannon graciously gave him. While Apoth uses it as a gateway to the minds of his Children, they can tinker it to bridge a gateway to Apoth himself. But in order to test it, it requires that Kwannon once again separate her consciousness from her body which will be extremely painful.

Sinister explains that this is a controlled test that can allow her to experience Apoth's playing ground while protected by Krakoa. If it doesn't work then her mind will shatter and be forever lost, but Kwannon's more than ready. Sinister is surprised by her bravery (hmmmm Hellions incoming) but Kwannon shuts him up and tells him to turn the machine on. The sequence is hard to fully grasp but Kwannon's conscious mind is recalibrated into data that exists on Apoth's plane. She sees Apoth's kingdom making its way to infect Dubai. The Children of Apoth are fast-tracking the city’s transformation into becoming his throne as Apoth prepares to reach his homo novissima roots all throughout the world. Kwannon recollects herself. Sinister ponders how it felt to be disconnected but also whole, all mind but no body to which Kwannon mentions that she's felt the sensation before. Sinister confirms that the device can be used to directly find Apoth but wonders why the hell she cares about what happens to the outside world. Why not just let Apoth infect the world if she doesn't owe it anything? Kwannon responds: "Conscience isn't based on debt. Conscience is purpose. And finally, I have mine."

*flashback to Japan*

It's the climax as Kwannon confronts her former master, who had been expecting this for a while. The master says:

"I have one more lesson for you, Kwannon. After your killing stroke, don't let go of your anger. Your anger is the only thing you will ever be able to trust. Trust it as a butterfly trusts its wings, and it will never let you fall. Do not waste time. You are out of your chrysalis. Spread your wings. Violence is all you will ever be, Kwannon. I have accomplished my task."

Kwannon then cuts down her former master.

*Back on Krakoa*

Psylocke finds Captain Britain who is training on the Wild Hunt. Psylocke unsheathes her sword and they both train in complete unison with each other. After the session, the internal monologue in the otherwise silent two-page interaction reveals that Psylocke knows that the blame cannot fall on Betsy as it wasn't really her fault. But because of her own trauma, she can't fully forgive her until she's sure that they cannot feel each other and are finally apart. She walks off as Betsy looks on and smiles.

*The Reservoir*

X-23 is leading the training sequence and needs to know if her team is ready. Cable shoots at Husk's metal form, and she's just eating up the bullets with almost zero effect. Bling! sneaks up next to Cable and easily breaks it in half, stating that when you're made of diamonds then the rest of the world feels like paper. X-23 congratulates the team and questions if any of them can even touch her. Husk, Cable, and Bling! all try to tag Laura, who is effortlessly evading and blocking their attacks before Psylocke interrupts the session. She tells the team that she knows the city that Apoth has chosen to plant his seed in. But first, she re-introduces herself to the mutants she's taken along for the mission. She says:

"I'm Psylocke. Some of you may have known this body, but do not know me. I am asking you to leave Heaven to fight with me in Hell. And I do not deserve your trust. But if you give your trust to me...I will die to protect you. I will kill to protect you. Your lives are more important than my own. I give you my word. Give me the honor of leading you."

Psylocke bows to them. Bling! wonders if she's always so dramatic, to which X-23 states that she saw her smile once. Husk steps forward to confess that she never really got over her father's death in the coal mine. She's heard that Apoth loves killing children and there's no paradise worth letting that go unpunished. Husk then says that if Krakoa is Heaven, then this team must be the world’s Angels.

*Later*

We see Psylocke talk to Magneto. Magneto recognizes his own self in Psylocke despite initially wanting her to stay out of human affairs. He knows that she understands what Krakoa is because she's experienced Hell. He furthermore says that she never needs permission again and has his trust, will, and assistance. Magneto tells her to let Apoth know that mutantkind still keeps watch over the world and that the god of machines will recognize a higher power, he then uses his power to lift a jet from beneath Krakoa.

The Angels then take the jet to Dubai, where Apoth exists throughout the Overclock technology and his Children watch as the jet fast approaches.....to be continued....

KRAKOAN TRANSLATION FOR FINALE: APOTH

I just gotta say. This issue was the best. Agreeing with OP. We need to know her real name.

I loved that Betsy/'Kwannon' in sync/simpatico scene.

It’s a really good scene!

BANNED

Laura taking on Roxie, Paige, and Baby Cable all at once — and winning — is probably the most in-character she's been written this entire series.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post

It’s a really good scene!
    My favorite part of the issue.

In sync.

Simpatico.

Soul sisters.

Now I need to see a scene of Kwannon + Betsy as bash bros taking out a fleet of some sort, together.

At least Husk used her powers and stayed fully clothed.....thats about the only highlight for her in this book :/
    GrindrStone(D)

BANNED

This issue was an improvement over the last few. I thought issue #1 was so promising, and here we are finally delivering on that promise. The most interesting parts of the book are the scenes where Kwannon is reacting to Betsy. THAT scene was wonderful. I get wanting Psylocke to stand on her own for a bit, but Kwannon and Bets are connected. That connection is more interesting now than it’s ever been, so I look forward to it being unpacked further.

And folks complain that Betsy's Captain Britain armor isn't sexy enough, clearly all you need is an artist who draws the metal armor like latex

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Now I need to see a scene of Kwannon + Betsy as bash bros taking out a fleet of some sort, together.
    Hopefully this warrants her showing up in Excalibur sometime soon. They could at least start out by training with each other if they are quick to become friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    And folks complain that Betsy's Captain Britain armor isn't sexy enough, clearly all you need is an artist who draws the metal armor like latex
    Hey at least she matches her brothers uniform now.

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

mutantkind still keeps watch over the world
    This line alone sounds like possibly the most important in the series. Hopefully it can start to put some of the persistent concerns people had about the status quo to rest.

mutantkind still keeps watch over the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisinith View Post
    This line alone sounds like possibly the most important in the series. Hopefully it can start to put some of the persistent concerns people had about the status quo to rest.
    Oh So Now Mutants are watching over the world? I haven't read 1984 in while but I hope 'Big Brother' hasnt somehow become the hero of that story Are Humans unable to manage themselves? Does Magneto and his Quiet Council of Killers have a secret Asteroid M monitoring the lowly humans on Earth? How much more of this Mutants as New Gods crap is Hickman gonna shove down our throats?
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Kisinith View Post
    We see that they haven’t forgotten about the human world. Even more than the Hellfire Trading Company and the Autumn Council, we see that the Angels are specifically going after threats against humanity. Ugh this would’ve been such a great concept and tied into how the homo novissima are also enemies seeking to end humankind as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Oh So Now Mutants are watching over the world? I haven't read 1984 in while but I hope 'Big Brother' hasnt somehow become the hero of that story Are Humans unable to manage themselves? Does Magneto and his Quiet Council of Killers have a secret Asteroid M monitoring the lowly humans on Earth? How much more of this Mutants as New Gods crap is Hickman gonna shove down our throats?
    I’m pretty sure it’s just Magneto saying that Krakoans will still safeguard the world like they’ve been doing.

I thought this issue came out next week?