Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Whatever the case, I think Venditti deserves some credit for trying to at least somewhat streamline the franchise and make it a bit less complicated. From that standpoint, Carter and Shayera doesn't seem weird me. Though when Madame Xanadu showed up in the early issues, I don't know why I got the idea that her and Carter could have something going in the future. I should've known they wouldn't leave Shayera out of it for too long.
    Last edited by Johnny; 06-18-2020 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    If only she was wearing the iconic Hawk helmet, I'd be completely satisfied. The current one is just so generic. Real shame.
    Yeah, I'm not crazy about the costume either.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I've gotten the two trades comprising the 21 issue nu52 run of Hawkman.
    I'm going to read them regardless but am curious of the opinions on the run.
    Since you asked... I hated it. I'd have rather they'd left the character in limbo after "Flashpoint", as the New 52 version was a hot mess.

DC can't seem to leave well enough alone when it comes to Hawkman; every time the character is doing well someone decides to shake things up and it's almost always a disaster.
    It was solid until the hawkworld was involved after that run you should read the death of hawkman and later dark nights metal a d then star the Robert Venditti run.
    I finally finished the nu52 Hawkman run of 21 issues by Daniel/Liefeld. The last real run of hawkman I read was some of Geoff Johns but not all(I've gotten that Omni, plan to tackle later after a cleanse the palatte). I read some of the 90's Hawkworld so my Hawks lore knowledge is spotty. That said, not being a diehard strict fan I found this nu52 run to be fun and in parts enjoyable. I guess any more of Katar/Carter was solely in the JLA books of that era based on how it ended. I also feel had the story continued we would've discoverd that Sheyera(sp) survived somehow.

So I plan to tackle the Johns Hawkman Omni then Death of Hawkman before going into the current Vendetti run. However I'll be spacing that out with other reads in between.
    That splash page of the Hawks in #24 today is really great though!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

For the life of me I will never understand why they waited so long to bring Hawkwomen into the book. It being Shayera fits with the idea of the book. They are all just different incarnations of the same person. Carter is Katar, Shayera is Shiera, and vice versa. That’s what this book is trying to tell us anyway. And honestly at this point that works for me.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 06-17-2020 at 03:24 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I finally finished the nu52 Hawkman run of 21 issues by Daniel/Liefeld. The last real run of hawkman I read was some of Geoff Johns but not all(I've gotten that Omni, plan to tackle later after a cleanse the palatte). I read some of the 90's Hawkworld so my Hawks lore knowledge is spotty. That said, not being a diehard strict fan I found this nu52 run to be fun and in parts enjoyable. I guess any more of Katar/Carter was solely in the JLA books of that era based on how it ended. I also feel had the story continued we would've discoverd that Sheyera(sp) survived somehow.

So I plan to tackle the Johns Hawkman Omni then Death of Hawkman before going into the current Vendetti run. However I'll be spacing that out with other reads in between.
    That splash page of the Hawks in #24 today is really great though!
    Geoff's run is amazing,I'll recomend to read his JSA run first since it's where Carter came back to life in.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    For the life of me I never understand why they waited so long to bring Hawkwomen into the book. It being Shayera fits with the idea of the book. They are all just different incarnations of the same person. Carter is Katar, Shayera is Shiera, and vice versa. That’s what this book is trying to tell us anyway. And honestly at this point that works for me.
    True but who knows what will happen after death metal there could be a shift in creative or even characters,hope Carter and Shayera stick together.

Back together and stronger than ever!!

Attachment 97642
    SHAYERA!!! I love to see you together again!
    I just need Hawkman to get his classic helmet back! I know they have very few differences but I love the iconic helmet!

True but who knows what will happen after death metal there could be a shift in creative or even characters,hope Carter and Shayera stick together.
    You mean Katar.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    You mean Katar.
    No, he was right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Whatever the case, I think Venditti deserves some credit for trying to at least somewhat streamline the franchise and make it a bit less complicated. From that standpoint, Carter and Shayera doesn't seem weird me.
    Agreed! I love the streamlining.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    For the life of me I will never understand why they waited so long to bring Hawkwomen into the book. It being Shayera fits with the idea of the book. They are all just different incarnations of the same person. Carter is Katar, Shayera is Shiera, and vice versa. That’s what this book is trying to tell us anyway. And honestly at this point that works for me.
    Oh I understand it.

Whether you agree with it or not, is a whole different can of worms, but understanding isnt' that complicated. They wanted to see Hawkman fly on his own for while. While I do love any steady longstanding relationship like theirs... It's gotten a kind of 'dead end' the last couple decades. The lost love reincarnation is literally just telling the same story over and over again. When it gets messy like it did with Kendra, then suddenly its' creepy and demeaning... Their 'endgame' of always being together and joined at the hip kind of strangles them both. Neither really grows as a character when being part of a couple is all they have.

So yeah... I can see what they were doing... and it sounds like it was pretty successful. I haven't read much of the new series, but i really want to track them down. Combining all the hawks like that and having the reincarnation bounce through time like that a LOT of potential. Hawkwoman was always going to be a thing, but playing with that and just focusing on one of them sounds pretty cool to me. Finding a way to make him a reincarnated prince.... AND an alien cop is right up my alley.

Not a fan of the Hawks' new origin, but making the Thanagarian versions part of the reincarnation cycle is probably the best way to clean up this mess of a franchise. And I'm glad that Shayera is the one with whom Carter ends up with. His thing with Kendra was always weird. She was some distant relative of Shiera and at one point a vessel for her soul or something? I don't know what the heck the writers were thinking with this.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Not a fan of the Hawks' new origin, but making the Thanagarian versions part of the reincarnation cycle is probably the best way to clean up this mess of a franchise. And I'm glad that Shayera is the one with whom Carter ends up with. His thing with Kendra was always weird. She was some distant relative of Shiera and at one point a vessel for her soul or something? I don't know what the heck the writers were thinking with this.
    It's what happens when someone keeps kicking the creative can down the field instead of taking the time to make the game-winning shot.

Everyone was adding a little bit, trying to make it work, but never going all in to fix them until you had, what, ten cooks in the kitchen? We've had once voice this run and Venditti actually tackled it head on an with extreme detail.

Probably why it's the best solution we're likely going to get to streamlining the Hawks. We're lucky to have him.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Yeah I like Kendra, especially with the JSA and Justice League, and I like the idea of her as a legacy character somehow related to Shiera Hall/Sander but the moment they added Kendra to the whole reincarnation cycle and the whole soul thing not to mention Blackest Night it got even more confusing then Hawkman. So personally I’m glad if they keep them separate with Shayera being Hawkman and Kendra doing her own thing.

Also I will say this I didn’t expect to like this Hawkman run as much as I have, and honestly if Vendetti’s JSA story is good enough I might actually be okay if he was to take up a JSA series.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yeah I like Kendra, especially with the JSA and Justice League, and I like the idea of her as a legacy character somehow related to Shiera Hall/Sander but the moment they added Kendra to the whole reincarnation cycle and the whole soul thing not to mention Blackest Night it got even more confusing then Hawkman. So personally I’m glad if they keep them separate with Shayera being Hawkman and Kendra doing her own thing.

Also I will say this I didn’t expect to like this Hawkman run as much as I have, and honestly if Vendetti’s JSA story is good enough I might actually be okay if he was to take up a JSA series.
    Kendra being part of the reincarnation cycle felt pretty central to her character to me. With her currently in limbo I'm wondering if this is going to de-emphasize her overall importance in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Kendra being part of the reincarnation cycle felt pretty central to her character to me. With her currently in limbo I'm wondering if this is going to de-emphasize her overall importance in general.
    I mean her being part of the cycle was fine, especially given her family connections, but it got a little weird with the idea that Kendra is dead and then Shiera is somehow the soul within the body. Personally like I said I am fine with the idea that Kendra and Shayera/Shiera are separate people with different relationships to Hawkman, especially since comics in the past have treated their relationship as separate from that of Shieras (I'm thinking Justice League, Brightest Day, and etc.)
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.