Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    The difference being that there was a sixty year period where Nubian pharaohs ruled over Egypt with the blessing of the Egyptian priesthood (i.e. the Twenty-Fifth or Nubian Dynasty) that occured after the Nubian people conquered Egypt, so you could simply place Khufu as part of that dynasty and it would work.

-M
    That's a fair point. I have no real problem with Hodge playing Carter, but more the "well Egypt is in Africa so why not" logic because it marginalizes other people who live in an area and don't conform to the majority demographic.

I would have preferred an Egyptian actor if we are racebending Carter but, again, I've liked Aldis Hodge in what little I've seen him in and am sure he'll be a great Carter, likely the best live action incarnation since I'm not crazy on the few times he's showed up in other adaptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I know Hawkgirl's not in it, but I wonder if they'll at least address Chay-Ara.
    They can get around her if the flashback is set after her death but before Khufu's, assuming they don't have to die together. Or they just don't meet and save that for his solo if he gets one.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Has Dr Fate been cast yet?

Maybe Fate will be with an Egyptian/middle eastern actor.
    I could see Aladdin star Mena Massoud as Khalid Nassour

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    I could see Aladdin star Mena Massoud as Khalid Nassour
    That would be cool, but they have Atom Smasher and Maxine being there rookies so I think they'll go more experienced with Fate, i.e., older.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    That would be cool, but they have Atom Smasher and Maxine being there rookies so I think they'll go more experienced with Fate, i.e., older.
    The Black Adam teaser of the JSA described atom smasher and cyclone as the new recruits. The movie version of Dr. fate will be Kent.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    The Black Adam teaser of the JSA described atom smasher and cyclone as the new recruits. The movie version of Dr. fate will be Kent.
    He's not Egyptian (Israeli, actually), but Oded Fehr voiced Fate so well I'd be down for him cast as Kent.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    He's not Egyptian (Israeli, actually), but Oded Fehr voiced Fate so well I'd be down for him cast as Kent.
    It could be an interesting choice.

I kind of assumed they would go with Hector for Fate since Hawkman's in it.

I've been a fan of Aldis Hodge since Leverage and I spent my COVID-19 induced free time reading up on ancient Egyptian history and also writing a Hawkman/Dr. Fate story inspired by it. I feel like somebody at DC just rewarded me for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Orion Lee plays Ryan Choi in the DCEU.
    With a first name like that, you would think he was destined to play another DC character.

I usually hate racebending, but I'm fine with this casting. Hawkman at least makes sense as a PoC, given his origin. Yeah, he's not Egyptian, but Hollywood only cares about ethnicity if it's China.

Like, for real....where’s the “racebending” coming from? It’s Hawkman. You literally can’t “racebend” his character. He’s no one particular race.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Like, for real....where’s the “racebending” coming from? It’s Hawkman. You literally can’t “racebend” his character. He’s no one particular race.
    Well, it's not like he's consistently portrayed as anything other than white in his present day appearances, so I get why some were surprised at the choice.
    But since it looks like they're having the same actor play both Khufu and Carter Hall, I'm REALLY happy they didn't pick a white actor. White Khufu would have been a disaster.
    I'm excited to see Hodge's take. Like some have commented, his take will more than likely be the best live action portrayal of Hawkman.

As for Doctor Fate, I wouldn't mind if they took some inspiration from the latest Earth-2 and had Khalid as a grown man in the role (that's one of the few things I liked about the book).
    Plus, I think they need some middle Eastern actors now since the two most obvious roles already went to African Americans (the title role and Hawkman).

DC Super Hero Girls actually did a solid take on the Hawks and their relationship on yesterday's episode (an image from the episode was posted a few pages back). They actually didn't do Carter dirty for once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Well, it's not like he's consistently portrayed as anything other than white in his present day appearances, so I get why some were surprised at the choice.
    But since it looks like they're having the same actor play both Khufu and Carter Hall, I'm REALLY happy they didn't pick a white actor. White Khufu would have been a disaster.
    I'm excited to see Hodge's take. Like some have commented, his take will more than likely be the best live action portrayal of Hawkman.

As for Doctor Fate, I wouldn't mind if they took some inspiration from the latest Earth-2 and had Khalid as a grown man in the role (that's one of the few things I liked about the book).
    Plus, I think they need some middle Eastern actors now since the two most obvious roles already went to African Americans (the title role and Hawkman).
    I liked Michael Shanks but anything would be an improvement from how Hawkman was used on Legends.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    DC Super Hero Girls actually did a solid take on the Hawks and their relationship on yesterday's episode (an image from the episode was posted a few pages back). They actually didn't do Carter dirty for once.

I liked Michael Shanks but anything would be an improvement from how Hawkman was used on Legends.
    I hadn't seen Legends of Tomorrow, but I heard season 1 was horrible specially regarding the Hawks.

if you could see a period piece or like a historical fantasy story with one of Hawkman's reincarnations across any culture, which would you pick?

like We've obviously seen his him in ancient Egypt, but since he's now sort of untethered from that being his fixed origin, we could conceivably see him in literally any and every culture across humanity's existence. He could be a samurai fighting Kitsunes in Japan (hell he could be Yasuke, half joking), he could be a Native American witnessing and fighting colonialism, he could be a lord amongst the Leopard Men in West Africa, the possibilities are endless.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 09-28-2020 at 10:06 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    if you could see a period piece or like a historical fantasy story with one of Hawkman's reincarnations across any culture, which would you pick?

like We've obviously seen his him in ancient Egypt, but since he's now sort of untethered from that being his fixed origin, we could conceivably seen him in literally any and every culture across humanity's existence. He could be a samurai fighting Kitsunes in Japan (hell he could be Yasuke, half joking), he could be a Native American witnessing and fighting colonialism, he could be a lord amongst the Leopard Men in West Africa, the possibilities are endless.
    He was Nighthawk and Silent Knight, so you could put him into DCU Wild West or the DCU Medieval times pretty believably.