Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

^^^^Thanks @sifighter
    I was just now doing a dive into comicvine and found Hawkman is in that JLA run from 2013 but descriptions sound like he plays more like a support player w/o any real development.
    I next saw the JLUnited and the only story he seems to feature is one where he and Lobo share blows and they go to Rann. That might be fun to read but probably not crucial.

My plan is to read this Death of Hawkman then get the first two trades of the Vendetti run. The third trade is solicited for September on Amazon.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Death of Hawkman is touched on most in Scott Snyder's Justice League run, but not excessively. Think of it more as a "what has happened to Hawkwoman" epilogue.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

So, I just read all 26 issues of Hawkman by Venditti, and I love it deeply.

Before this, I'd never really read Hawkman, but I did love the story of Hawkman and Hawkgirl in Zatanna's Search.

The worldbuilding, character development and relationships, especially with Hawkwoman lately, was so well drawn. It really sucked me in.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member

The only issues that turned me off a bit were the ones in which Carter was taken over by the Hawkman of Earth III -- what was his name -- Sky Pirate or something like that. But even those weren't horrible as the brought Shayera back into the book. Hawkman is always more enjoyable when he's teamed with his life partner. It's a shame the series is being cancelled, but I"m grateful it lasted as long as it did. Pasarin has really done a great job in recent issues.

I"m sure we'll see another Hawk book some day, but it's doubtful it will be this good.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    The only issues that turned me off a bit were the ones in which Carter was taken over by the Hawkman of Earth III -- what was his name -- Sky Pirate or something like that. But even those weren't horrible as the brought Shayera back into the book. Hawkman is always more enjoyable when he's teamed with his life partner. It's a shame the series is being cancelled, but I"m grateful it lasted as long as it did. Pasarin has really done a great job in recent issues.

I"m sure we'll see another Hawk book some day, but it's doubtful it will be this good.
    Yeah, I was pretty annoyed by the derailment of the Infected/Year of the Villain stuff. But at least Venditti made it worthwhile, with the Earth 3 villains being heroic, and as you say, Hawkwoman coming back finally.

Does anyone know if Venditti used Hawkman in his JL run?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Yeah, I was pretty annoyed by the derailment of the Infected/Year of the Villain stuff. But at least Venditti made it worthwhile, with the Earth 3 villains being heroic, and as you say, Hawkwoman coming back finally.

Does anyone know if Venditti used Hawkman in his JL run?
    No.....he started with just the Big Five, then added Aquaman half way thru the run!
    I would love to see him come back and write a team that included the Hawks, Martian Manhunter, Black Canary, Green Arrow and Vixen!

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Saw the sad news that Hawkman is unceremoniously ending at issue #29. Seems it was a casualty of AT&T like some other titles.
    However the run should be collected in about 5 tpbs so I'll read it all at once then with Death of Hawkman as a pre-cursor.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Considering Venditti was handed what should have killed his book--an editorially mandated plate spinning arc on a B-List book circling 15k at the time-- and made lemonade out of those lemons is tantamount to the strength of the work the creative team put in.

I wanted to hate that Sky Tyrant stuff, but damn if he didn't weave it in to his story and provide a good way to get Shayera back in there.

Master class for Hawkman books and right up there with Johns/Morales for my favorite.

Really hope both Hawks survive the landing.

Why not let it go to 30? Would DC go bankrupt because of one more issue of Hawkman? They could make 5 trades of 6 issues.

Hopefully the rumored JSA book will happen and Carter and Shayera will be on it, and it will have a creative team that likes them and don't want to split the Hawks for cheap drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Why not let it go to 30? Would DC go bankrupt because of one more issue of Hawkman? They could make 5 trades of 6 issues.

Hopefully the rumored JSA book will happen and Carter and Shayera will be on it, and it will have a creative team that likes them and don't want to split the Hawks for cheap drama.
    Well the reincarnation cycle has ended and they're together so it's only a matter of time until they kill one for the other's drama.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverScarlet View Post
    No.....he started with just the Big Five, then added Aquaman half way thru the run!
    I would love to see him come back and write a team that included the Hawks, Martian Manhunter, Black Canary, Green Arrow and Vixen!
    I had a chance to catch up on his JL, and yup, sadly no Hawkman (I was hoping for something like when Priest did JL, and Deathstroke was a strong supporting antagonist character). He did use Madam Xanadu, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Saw the sad news that Hawkman is unceremoniously ending at issue #29. Seems it was a casualty of AT&T like some other titles.
    However the run should be collected in about 5 tpbs so I'll read it all at once then with Death of Hawkman as a pre-cursor.
    I'm very curious about the collection, myself. I think 4 trades seems most likely, but the last 10 issues still have to be collected, so maybe they'll go with five each - but is there a good break at #24?

Venditti posted the trade #3 announcement on his instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CD9Fn-hBmoR/

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Considering Venditti was handed what should have killed his book--an editorially mandated plate spinning arc on a B-List book circling 15k at the time-- and made lemonade out of those lemons is tantamount to the strength of the work the creative team put in.

I wanted to hate that Sky Tyrant stuff, but damn if he didn't weave it in to his story and provide a good way to get Shayera back in there.

Master class for Hawkman books and right up there with Johns/Morales for my favorite.

Really hope both Hawks survive the landing.
    Well said. I am still frustrated that Snyder forced so many writers to deal with the Legion of Doom/Infected/Year of the Villain nonsense, but Venditti handled it brilliantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post

I did wonder about why not go to 30. But maybe Endless Winter is going to swallow a lot of titles in December?

Mighty Member

Sad to see hear that it's getting cancelled. I thought it was DC's hottest comic for awhile, especially the Shade and Shadow Thief storyarche, but inevitably I think the drawn out Sky Tyrant storyline helped kill things. (A reason I'm not a fan of huge crossover events, they feel like intrusions)

Anyhow the last page of the last issue has me excited how they will contribute to the new super team set to be released by DC.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    Sad to see hear that it's getting cancelled. I thought it was DC's hottest comic for awhile, especially the Shade and Shadow Thief storyarche, but inevitably I think the drawn out Sky Tyrant storyline helped kill things. (A reason I'm not a fan of huge crossover events, they feel like intrusions)

Anyhow the last page of the last issue has me excited how they will contribute to the new super team set to be released by DC.
    Did a quick look through at Comichron for April to August 2019, and it looks like Hawkman was selling about 18k for the end of the Hitch art, then dropped a little bit, rose back up with the cardstock cover, then fell again. A bummer, but it is what it is. Sadly, the crossover event didn't seem to bolster sales, though you might argue that it held them steady for longer.

Mighty Member

By hottest comic, I meant for me personally in terms of writing. I haven't looked at the sales recently, but I wouldn't be surprised if things began to decline during the Skytyrant storyline...that was really drawn out for a crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    By hottest comic, I meant for me personally in terms of writing. I haven't looked at the sales recently, but I wouldn't be surprised if things began to decline during the Skytyrant storyline...that was really drawn out for a crossover.
    Oh, I get it now! That's totally fair - a year ago, it was definitely one of the sharpest written things, though I sadly wasn't on board at the time. I think the combination of the Sky Tyrant stuff and the artist changes really made it a hard challenge for the series. But it maintained consistency, really impressively!