Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Has Dr Fate been cast yet?

Maybe Fate will be with an Egyptian/middle eastern actor.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Has Dr Fate been cast yet?

Maybe Fate will be with an Egyptian/middle eastern actor.
    Fate and Cyclone are still the only ones that haven't been casted yet.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Big fan of Leverage, so glad to see Hodge getting some work, though his role as the sweet, idealistic nerd on that show seems a bit odd with Hawkman's character.
    I saw Hodge in a recent Short Trek. I think he's got the range to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    While I love the Rock, I feel casting a non-middle eastern/east african actor was a bigger missed opportunity for Black Adam than Hawkman. with Hodge and Hawkman is works out because there were black african Egyptians in Egypt too, so whether he's Carter or Khufu it shakes out. however, with Black Adam is seems pretty clear to me that he's meant to be an east african arabian man.
    I totally agree but since the Rock’s been attached to this project for so long, I’d long given up hope for ethnically accurate casting of Black Adam. It’s just disappointing because I think of what Black Panther did for me and I genuinely hope that every community has the chance to see themselves represented like that on screen

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    It has to be Carter because Katar has no connection to Black Adam. I imagine he'll play both Khufu and Carter at different times.

I liked him in The Invisible Man, but I was honestly expecting to get an Egyptian actor to play Carter this time around. I love my classic interpretations, but considering how few Egyptian actors we have in Hollywood who get to play leading rolls, I don't know, this feels a bit like a missed opportunity. Still, I'm sure he'll be a great Carter... So long as he can keep his ego in check. Do. NOT. Lose. The. Helmet.

I know actors want you to see their face, but that helmet is so important to his look, dammit.
    It would be cool if he just play current Carter, have an egyptian actor play Khufu. Better do a quickly montage of Hawkman through history with several actors playing the character, egyptian, caucasian, asian, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    It would be cool if he just play current Carter, have an egyptian actor play Khufu. Better do a quickly montage of Hawkman through history with several actors playing the character, egyptian, caucasian, asian, etc.
    That could be interesting.

Aldis has done far more work than just Leverage. The best actors are the ones who have a range of work from the lovable nerd to the villainous foil. Before Michael Keaton was Batman he was Mr. Mom and Beetlejuice. Worked out pretty well.

Egypt is in Africa. I think they’re good.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Aldis has done far more work than just Leverage. The best actors are the ones who have a range of work from the lovable nerd to the villainous foil. Before Michael Keaton was Batman he was Mr. Mom and Beetlejuice. Worked out pretty well.

India and half of Russia are in Asia but I really hope they get a Chinese actor for Ryan Choi, you feel me? Continental proximity doesn't always check out.

I don't really have a stake in the casting, but I do feel bad that this was a chance to give actors who never get a chance to star their due. I liked Hodge the one time I saw him in film and he's got the physicality for Carter. The real test is if he'll be like Tom Holland and rip his mask off every chance he gets too remind you he's not Hawkman, he's Aldis Hodge playing Hawkman. Probably great for his career but it does take me right out of the story when actors unmask for their vanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    This would be pretty neat and drive home how many different lives and experiences Carter has had. I've often wondered if Carter or Shiera ever reincarnated as a different sex as well. What if Shiera came back a man? To be honest, I don't think it would get much in their way. I also think that's not really something you can pull off in a montage, but it's an interesting story.

But I like the montage idea. You could work the Arrowverse and Smallville actors who played him in as past lives as an Easter Egg. Would be cool.
    Last edited by Robanker; 09-26-2020 at 01:56 PM.

Shirtless and the mask are pretty big "musts" for me .

I kind of wonder how soon before we get his Hawkgirl...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    What do people think Hawkgirl/Shiera Sanders finally has arrived to the DC Super Hero Girls?

This looks adorable (I hope they don't treat Carter as a stalker).

India and half of Russia are in Asia but I really hope they get a Chinese actor for Ryan Choi, you feel me? Continental proximity doesn't always check out.

I don't really have a stake in the casting, but I do feel bad that this was a chance to give actors who never get a chance to star their due. I liked Hodge the one time I saw him in film and he's got the physicality for Carter. The real test is if he'll be like Tom Holland and rip his mask off every chance he gets too remind you he's not Hawkman, he's Aldis Hodge playing Hawkman. Probably great for his career but it does take me right out of the story when actors unmask for their vanity.

This would be pretty neat and drive home how many different lives and experiences Carter has had. I've often wondered if Carter or Shiera ever reincarnated as a different sex as well. What if Shiera came back a man? To be honest, I don't think it would get much in their way. I also think that's not really something you can pull off in a montage, but it's an interesting story.

But I like the montage idea. You could work the Arrowverse and Smallville actors who played him in as past lives as an Easter Egg. Would be cool.
    My take is that the Hawks always come back with a few core physical characteristics regardless of where and when they are born and with some dependent of the time and place of their rebirth.

For example, if Hawkman is reborn among the Masai, he will have all the physical characteristics of the masai, is biologically impossible to him not to. But a few thigs are inherent of who he is, who he sees himself as, so he will always come back as man, tall and with a natural physical and athletic prowess. The same goes to Hawkwoman, she will always come back in a female body, with the physical characteristics that we came to relate to her, regardless of the place she is born, but her ethnicity will depend where she is born.

Orion Lee plays Ryan Choi in the DCEU.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post

Can’t be better said...

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Orion Lee plays Ryan Choi in the DCEU.
    I know, I was just using him as an example. Kong Kenan then if that helps.

The difference being that there was a sixty year period where Nubian pharaohs ruled over Egypt with the blessing of the Egyptian priesthood (i.e. the Twenty-Fifth or Nubian Dynasty) that occured after the Nubian people conquered Egypt, so you could simply place Khufu as part of that dynasty and it would work.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

I know Hawkgirl's not in it, but I wonder if they'll at least address Chay-Ara.