Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    so Aldis Hodge posted the books he's reading to prep for his Hawkman role.

Now I'm not the most well read Hawkman guy, help me make heads or tails outta this Hawkman fans (Hawkfans? The Hawk's mans?), any insights from this collection speaking to you? is it a solid collection to get a grasp the character? any narrative throughlines?
    It's all Carter Hall stuff, no real Katar and the Johns take is the primary one they're going for, which frankly is rad because Johns is the one who rescued Hawkman from his Zero Hour mess and did so in his classic JSA run.

What he's got is the JSA run which eventually revived Hawkman and the solo series Johns wrote alongside his JSA book concurrently. Beyond that, a celebrated JSA title where Hawkman appears (Golden Age) and the current Venditti stuff. Through-line is reincarnating Hawkman. I would argue it's pretty much a primer for Carter Hall specifically, though you'll want some Kubert Silver Age/Hawkworld for that Katar element that Venditti/the Justice League animated show draws from.

But if you just want a crash course on Hawkman and his ties to ancient Egypt, well, there it is in one picture. Someone gave Aldis a pretty great reading list.

Now I'm not the most well read Hawkman guy, help me make heads or tails outta this Hawkman fans (Hawkfans? The Hawk's mans?), any insights from this collection speaking to you? is it a solid collection to get a grasp the character? any narrative throughlines?
    The reading list here is good, specially for the version of Carter Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    It's all Carter Hall stuff, no real Katar and the Johns take is the primary one they're going for, which frankly is rad because Johns is the one who rescued Hawkman from his Zero Hour mess and did so in his classic JSA run.

What he's got is the JSA run which eventually revived Hawkman and the solo series Johns wrote alongside his JSA book concurrently. Beyond that, a celebrated JSA title where Hawkman appears (Golden Age) and the current Venditti stuff. Through-line is reincarnating Hawkman. I would argue it's pretty much a primer for Carter Hall specifically, though you'll want some Kubert Silver Age/Hawkworld for that Katar element that Venditti/the Justice League animated show draws from.

But if you just want a crash course on Hawkman and his ties to ancient Egypt, well, there it is in one picture. Someone gave Aldis a pretty great reading list.
    On-top of that we also have books that feature Carter's relationship with Black Adam (although I think he's missing where they collect Black Reign?).

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    On-top of that we also have books that feature Carter's relationship with Black Adam (although I think he's missing where they collect Black Reign?).
    Yeah, that comes a bit later and is absent from the Venditti and Robinson stuff so it feels more like a crash course on Carter himself than anything else.

This is a GREAT list.

Also pretty much confirms that they are going with the reincarnated Egyptian angle.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    This is a GREAT list.

Also pretty much confirms that they are going with the reincarnated Egyptian angle.
    I didn't have any doubt, especially with Black Adam involved .