Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Hwakman and HawkWoman:

hawkhawkwoman.jpg

BANNED

well this just happened!

Hawkwoman-Hawkman-Kiss.jpg

Not sure what the ending of today’s Hawkman means for Kendra in all this but definitely some pretty big implications/impacts on Carter and Shayera.

spoilers:
    How do I put this, basically Shayera and Carter sacrifice their current and past lives to stop the Lord Beyond the Void, and both die having saved the universe....but then they wake up as Ktar and Shrra and told by “god” that the debt is cleared and they are freed from the cycle of reincarnation. But neither want to leave another so they are both told that while they will not reincarnate anymore that they will be returned to the lifetime that they hold closet to their hearts and where they will live out their natural lives and die.

That lifetime is WW2 golden age era JSA members Carter and Shiera. Again no idea what this means going forward, and if this means the only present day hawk left is Kendra but for now this is where we leave Carter and Shayera, back in the past with the JSA.
    end of spoilers
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

^^^^^
    WOW, what a status quo shake up of events!
    That is a true spoiler folks so if you are reading along monthly wait for your copy.

I read it cause I'm really behind on reading.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    ^^^^^
    WOW, what a status quo shake up of events!
    That is a true spoiler folks so if you are reading along monthly wait for your copy.

I read it cause I'm really behind on reading.
    You know what you are right I should have put a read at own risk, because it is pretty big. Honestly I don’t even know what implications it holds for the Hawks from here on out. I like where it’s going and I like what Vendetti’s done but with the uncertainty of what’s next for DC it does add a level of uncertainty to the characters themselves.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I don't think that page takes place WHEN you think it does.

Even if the Hawks end up in Limbo due to what's happening with DC at least they now have a satisfying conclusion to their story.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Weary Hawkwoman resting her head on her lovers shoulder.

HawksLove.jpg

Today was the last issue of Hawkman with issue 29, it was a great ending to a overall great run (probably my favorite Hawkman series) but the ending went to some interesting places and I am wondering if it will mean anything with the whole Omniverse thing DC is apparently doing.
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Today was the last issue of Hawkman with issue 29, it was a great ending to a overall great run (probably my favorite Hawkman series) but the ending went to some interesting places and I am wondering if it will mean anything with the whole Omniverse thing DC is apparently doing.
    I enjoyed the run a lot and I think the ending was solid but it felt kinda anti-climactic. Like

spoilers:
    Carter stabs himself and they make it seem like it's a seriously fatal wound, so much so that Hath-Set just kinda walks away from him (leaving his knife) but SURPRISE it was just a flesh wound. then they blow up the train and live for like 2000 years; so they're immortal now? I also don't buy the reincarnation angle being done for good. sorry Venditti, you did great making it make sens but that power is probably the most interesting thing about Hawkman. if the trade off is eternal Hawk people and rebirth, rebirth is the more compelling narrative option
    end of spoilers

all in all it was a sweet ending but just a little awkward in parts for me. still, solid wrap up of a pretty remarkable run. I can't wait to go back and read the full thing as a whole.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I enjoyed the run a lot and I think the ending was solid but it felt kinda anti-climactic. Like

spoilers:
    Carter stabs himself and they make it seem like it's a seriously fatal wound, so much so that Hath-Set just kinda walks away from him (leaving his knife) but SURPRISE it was just a flesh wound. then they blow up the train and live for like 2000 years; so they're immortal now? I also don't buy the reincarnation angle being done for good. sorry Venditti, you did great making it make sens but that power is probably the most interesting thing about Hawkman. if the trade off is eternal Hawk people and rebirth, rebirth is the more compelling narrative option
    end of spoilers

all in all it was a sweet ending but just a little awkward in parts for me. still, solid wrap up of a pretty remarkable run. I can't wait to go back and read the full thing as a whole.
    spoilers:
    Actually I think the eternal/long life thing by the end of this issue is helpful in its own way. I'm not sure what it means for main continuity but now there is nothing saying that when the JSA make a modern day return then both Hawkman and Hawkwoman can be long term members like Alan, Ted, Kent, and Jay. They get to say they lived a long happy life together all the way back with their friends from the JSA and into the modern era.
    end of spoilers
    Words to live by.

spoilers:
    Actually I think the eternal/long life thing by the end of this issue is helpful in its own way. I'm not sure what it means for main continuity but now there is nothing saying that when the JSA make a modern day return then both Hawkman and Hawkwoman can be long term members like Alan, Ted, Kent, and Jay. They get to say they lived a long happy life together all the way back with their friends from the JSA and into the modern era.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    don't get me wrong, them growing old is a great ending, it's the idea that they're still around all the way until the 40th century that's off to me. the whole point of them breaking free of reincarnation was to live a regular life, grow old and die together, I don't see why they need to become immortal now. I guess it just feels like a cheaper trade off for the reincarnation so they can keep the "romance throughout time" concept. they could've returned as an aged hero like the JSA typically do without it, ya know? It just feels kinda random and a convenient way to pay off the dramatic clinch at the end of the last issue. It works but it's just a weird move to me
    end of spoilers
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Great issue! So it ends one of the 3 best things DC was publishing. Now we only have Hellblazer and The Green Lantern.

I wish they had at least given Venditti an oversized issue, that way he could have had more space to tell the story. This is my favorite Hawkman run too, just the lack of general angst and the cheap drama in the Hawks relationship already makes it superior to a lot of the recent takes on the characters.

If they relaunch an JSA book, this is the creative team I hope they use, Venditti and Pasarin made an amazing work.

I don't think the issue was the best showing for Hawkwoman. She comes off as incapable of defeating Hastor and is left on a corner basically bawling before Carter saves the day.
    I hope the next run features them as equals.
    Also, spoilers:
    if the Hawks remained in the past and basically became immortals, does this mean there were times when they were alive at the same time as their younger selves? Which would mean that during this whole run, there was already another Carter that was alive and reunited with Hawkwoman? I guess it's one of those things we'd better not think about much.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I don't think the issue was the best showing for Hawkwoman. She comes off as incapable of defeating Hastor and is left on a corner basically bawling before Carter saves the day.
    I hope the next run features them as equals.
    Also, spoilers:
    if the Hawks remained in the past and basically became immortals, does this mean there were times when they were alive at the same time as their younger selves? Which would mean that during this whole run, there was already another Carter that was alive and reunited with Hawkwoman? I guess it's one of those things we'd better not think about much.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I mean I assume that it can still play into the whole reincarnation in space and time with past Carter and Shayera, just that reality was rewritten a bit by the godlike figure that they’ve interacted with. The other thing is that last issue did establish that everyone else sees them as golden age Carter and Shiera, so even if they did run into their previous selves they would just look like older versions of their golden age versions to them.
    end of spoilers
    Words to live by.