Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I don't think the issue was the best showing for Hawkwoman. She comes off as incapable of defeating Hastor and is left on a corner basically bawling before Carter saves the day.
    I hope the next run features them as equals.
    Also, spoilers:
    if the Hawks remained in the past and basically became immortals, does this mean there were times when they were alive at the same time as their younger selves? Which would mean that during this whole run, there was already another Carter that was alive and reunited with Hawkwoman? I guess it's one of those things we'd better not think about much.
    end of spoilers
    Hopefully Venditti will get to explain all of it on a JSA run.

spoilers:
    Maybe Carter and Shayera decided to go underground for some time, so they would not mess with their other lives? They can even launch a book "The Secrets Adventures of Hawkman and Hawkwoman.
    About the Hawkwoman portrayal, I believe it was a combination of lack of pages and having to resolve the plot of Carter fearing death.
    end of spoilers

As a conclusion to the run, I think Venditti could have explained the continuity issues better.
    I definitely don't want the next run to be boggled down by having to explain plot holes left by the previous writer. As it is, spoilers:
    having duplicates of the Hawks exist at the same time as the ones whose adventures we've been following
    end of spoilers is a really convoluted way to end a title about two of DC's most convoluted characters.

I'm halfway tempted to create a ''Hawkman's Mace Appreciation Thread' after seeing the title of this one.

As a conclusion to the run, I think Venditti could have explained the continuity issues better.
    I definitely don't want the next run to be boggled down by having to explain plot holes left by the previous writer. As it is, spoilers:
    having duplicates of the Hawks exist at the same time as the ones whose adventures we've been following
    end of spoilers is a really convoluted way to end a title about two of DC's most convoluted characters.
    At this point, the convolution is a feature not a bug.

Considering Death Metal is still happening, all the crazy about continuity and the news about the Omniverse, Venditti made a great decision by not wasting panel time trying to answer questions and fix things that can very much not matter in a few months.

He probably decided that was a better choice to provide emotional closure to Carter and Shayera than explain everything.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    spoilers:
    don't get me wrong, them growing old is a great ending, it's the idea that they're still around all the way until the 40th century that's off to me. the whole point of them breaking free of reincarnation was to live a regular life, grow old and die together, I don't see why they need to become immortal now. I guess it just feels like a cheaper trade off for the reincarnation so they can keep the "romance throughout time" concept. they could've returned as an aged hero like the JSA typically do without it, ya know? It just feels kinda random and a convenient way to pay off the dramatic clinch at the end of the last issue. It works but it's just a weird move to me
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I took it more as the final word on them as a couple than anything else; they finally get their happy ending. It's comics, this won't last. It's just the end page for anyone who likes those two to have and hold the same way All-Star Superman is an ending to anyone who wants it to be. Same with Tom King's Batman Annual #2 and so on.
    end of spoilers

This was a pretty great run and the hiccups it faced it did so pretty well, all things considered. I wish it wasn't hamstrung by keeping Hawkwoman out of the book and the Metal tie ins, but again, they made lemonade out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Considering Death Metal is still happening, all the crazy about continuity and the news about the Omniverse, Venditti made a great decision by not wasting panel time trying to answer questions and fix things that can very much not matter in a few months.

He probably decided that was a better choice to provide emotional closure to Carter and Shayera than explain everything.
    I guess it would have been a smoother end in my mind if they didn't actually time travel (physically), but got to experience again their time as the Golden Age Hawks so that in the present, they'd retain all the memories of the classic Hawks (effectively merging the current versions with them) without the problem of the duplicates.
    So everything in history would have happened as before, but in the present (and future) the Hawks would get to remember their most favored time in way more detail than they do their other lives.
    Funny thing is, it wouldn't need to change much about these last few issues as long as the situations were portrayed as them reliving moments they had forgotten.

It had it ups and downs but overall i think it was one of the better Hawkman series.

I guess it would have been a smoother end in my mind if they didn't actually time travel (physically), but got to experience again their time as the Golden Age Hawks so that in the present, they'd retain all the memories of the classic Hawks (effectively merging the current versions with them) without the problem of the duplicates.
    So everything in history would have happened as before, but in the present (and future) the Hawks would get to remember their most favored time in way more detail than they do their other lives.
    Funny thing is, it wouldn't need to change much about these last few issues as long as the situations were portrayed as them reliving moments they had forgotten.
    I believe Venditti expected to get more time, he probably wanted to spend some time with the Hawks on the past with the JSA. Actually, maybe he wanted to low key do a JSA book.