Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: What if...?

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    What if mutants weren't discriminated against, but mutates were?
    I don't know what it makes a difference from a 'human' point of vue if the powers come from a mutation inherited, intra-uterine or from an accident during the lifetime. It would frighten the man on the street in the same way and would excite mad scientists also in the same way, too.
    Hickman's mutants make the difference: it has been formalized, it is the result of the presence or absence of a gene.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I don't know what it makes a difference from a 'human' point of vue if the powers come from a mutation inherited, intra-uterine or from an accident during the lifetime. It would frighten the man on the street in the same way and would excite mad scientists also in the same way, too.
    Hickman's mutants make the difference: it has been formalized, it is the result of the presence or absence of a gene.
    Isn't that kind of the point of the X-Men? That bigotry isn't rational and is devoid of logic?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    What If Magik was never kidnapped and never learned magic
    I like this one, and imagine that she'd take on much more of a 'Blink' role, tactically, relying on creative use of her disk-stepping teleportation power, and being likely a much bubblier and friendlier person, with a very energetic and dynamic manner.

Similarly,
    What if Rogue never permanently retained the powers of Ms. Marvel, and was forced over her time as an X-Man to rely on her own mutant power exclusively, and not some non-mutant's alien hand-me-downs? I'd imagine she'd A) learn a lot more self-discipline and focus, from having to use her mutant power more often, and keep control of herself with other people's thoughts and memories and feelings periodically traipsing around in her noggin, when she does so. It seems likely that she'd eventually learn to control her power, through repeated regular training at actually using it, and be able to touch people without fear of it accidentally turning on. B) she'd probably be a lot more physically nimble, lacking any sort of superhuman strength or toughness (or ability to fly), and needing to be able to dash in and get a grip on someone to 'take them out,' and handle herself in a fight *until* she's got some actual powers or talents to help even things up. Both acrobatics and martial arts would seem on the menu, and hey, Gambit can teach her both...

What if Ani-Mator shot Bird-Brain instead of Doug Ramsey? And there was much rejoicing. The end.