Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default X-Force #5 Review: The reunification of one James "Logan" Howlett

Quick recap of the issue

-We pick up right where last issue left off, QQ's head and half of Logan surrounded by human mercs.
    -The mercenaries care not to deal with Logan's better half and move on to the mission of plundering and looting
    -Domino tells Logan she's on her way, but she now needs a new transport
    -Enter Black Tom and Gateway, after a small standoff Gateway reluctantly (is forced) to get Domino and surprisingly Forge to the facility being attacked, Forge brings Logan's legs, Forge is also in a Krakoan mech suit, he gets the best toys.
    -Logan has crawled his way to the mercs and kills one and then smiles like he got a N64 for Christmas, because lets face it none of them expected him to do that
    - Domino and Forge show up. Domino just wrecks shop getting some much deserved catharsis from her flaying. Forge builds a better Wolverine (he literally smashes the two halves above his head, God I love comics)
    -Domino continues to murder humans she thinks are more lab built soldiers, we learn that technically X-Force is exempt from 1/3 of the laws of Krakoa.
    -The last merc standing gives up, Beast begs Domino not to kill him because the need info. We learn Bill (the merc) has a dog named Rufus. I can say with 100% certainty Rufus is a good boy, despite Bill being a very bad boy.
    -Beast and Jean interrogate Bill, Bill wants to call his neighbor to so he can tell him to feed Rufus. We learn that the group that hit the facility was hired by the peacock tattoo guy that skinned Domino. The mercs themselves don't necessarily hate mutants, they just do what they are paid to do and now that Krakoa is #1 they will be getting targeted a lot.
    -Beast calls 1-800-Merc-4U2 and inquires about their services, he tells nobody.
    -We learn in a glorious data page that Krakoa moves Black Tom around while he sleeps, Ol' Krakky is such the prankster. On the other hand Black Tom has way more control of physical manifestations of Krakoa than he knows.
    -Lastly we get a sweet bonding moment with Domino and Logan who embrace the quiet of not having QQ around for a few days while he regrows his body.

Another amazing issue from Percy and Cassara and White. I have to say that the action, dialogue and pace have just been perfect for each issue so far. Seeing Domino tear through the mercs was just so fun to look at and read and she definitely paid for her time to play. My personal favorite part of the issue was the look on 1/2 Logan's face after he crawled from the gate to wherever the bad guys were and stabbed a guy, just this stump resting on a dead body with a look of pure satisfaction. The look of sheer terror in the other merc's faces is a close second for my favorite scene though.

I really am excited to see more of this peacock tattoo fella, he seems to be pulling all the strings and I can't wait to find out why. X-Force seems to be moving forward with it's story much faster than every other title and I'm okay with that. We still have Colossus waiting in the wings so there is even more in store! 5/5.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

BANNED

Ooh! Hang on!! This is a copy and paste from the preview thread ('Cos, ya know...I still feel that way, lol!)

I'm really liking what's going on in X-Force; it doesn't shy away from the brutality, but it knows how to balance it. Neither side or angels, neither side are all cartoon villains; I felt for Bill. I don't deny he's getting what he deserved, hell, he put himself in that situation, but it was rough to remember how easily people (especially young people) can fall in where the money goes. He isn't a saint, not by a long shot, but I'm glad I was able to feel for him. I'm also glad that Neena got such a moment...cathartic, but nowhere near enough the closure she'll be craving down the road (trust me.) I love how torn I felt when Beast and Sage were pleading with her!

The one thing I hate, though, is seeing such beautiful prose about characters relegated to stupid data pages! I want to know Black Tom on panel! I want to see how his own arc plays out, experience it with him! I want to experience the tension of seeing the enemies show up! Just put the stupid medicine and batteries and loot on the pages, no doubt people are wondering what the hell they are! I'd much rather have a quick over-view of those than have those kind of stats waste precious character time! Or, hell, use it to explain Forge's tech! (My god, if that gets its' own exposition in a speech bubble when there's a perfectly good data page available, I swear to god.)

I loved this issue. I have enjoyed every issue of X-force and I cannot say that about all the other dawn of x titles (though I do like them all in different ways). X-force has the action, the quiet moments, and feels like a strong team book. Percy continues to nail the voice of each character. Once again each character plays a role that makes sense for that character and their abilities.

I love Jean and Beast questioning the suspect (or in this case prisoner). The action scenes with Domino, Wolverine, Forge, and Gateway were great. I hope Forge and Gateway continue to appear. I anticipate the next issue. I am very excited for Percy's Wolverine book.

This was excellent. The most interesting part for me was Black Tom's data page. Just how powerful could he become potentially?

BANNED

DOMINO!!!!!!!!!! is a BEAST.

The way she blew away that lady HAHAHA. I love it.

Jean seemed scary...standing in the Background all dark and menacing.

SHUT UP BEAST...these Humans deserve what's coming to the THEM. HAHA.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JasmineW View Post
    This was excellent. The most interesting part for me was Black Tom's data page. Just how powerful could he become potentially?
    I think we were cheated at that being relegated to a data page! That sounded so beautiful it needed an arc in itself! I wanna see that kinda stuff!

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

This series have been very consistent, and I'm happy for that.

Love Forge. Hope we continue to see more of him.

A nice issue for Domino, though I'm not entirely feeling her new enhancements.

I'm glad that they established that X-Force is exempt from Krakoa's laws, that way we don't have debates about what they're doing.

The data pages were a bit too lengthy for me. I've enjoyed them thus far, but the Black Tom one was super long.

Gateway getting a cool moment was unexpected, but great.

Domino tearing through those mercs was cathartic, but it does kinda defeat the point of the Law of Krakoa if they immediately create a team exempt from it. Wasn't the purpose of the law meant to be 'now that we are immortal, we shouldn't kill humans because they aren't"? Something like that?

Starting to get why people are annoyed by the data pages. Just like the sword scene, Xavier discovering Black Tom’s Juggernaut statue could’ve been a really interesting page.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Starting to get why people are annoyed by the data pages. Just like the sword scene, Xavier discovering Black Tom’s Juggernaut statue could’ve been a really interesting page.
    Ya see?? It feels like it could have been the start of Black Tom's own development! Instead, such gorgeous prose...wasted!

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Domino tearing through those mercs was cathartic, but it does kinda defeat the point of the Law of Krakoa if they immediately create a team exempt from it. Wasn't the purpose of the law meant to be 'now that we are immortal, we shouldn't kill humans because they aren't"? Something like that?
    I’m pretty sure they discussed should the need arise in defense of the nation the law could be broken. Also X-Force isn’t just hunting down random humans, these people are actively attacking Krakoans and allies.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Incredible Member The Thunderbird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    The CIA has done plenty of assassinations and other nonsense that would be illegal for the average American citizen to do.

San luis obispo is not beachside!

I was born there its inland.

Writer fail
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Outstanding issue, so many outstanding scenes and I'm looking forward to more. I was eating up each panel.

As mentioned in the other thread, this to me is golden. The experiment is working. It's fresh and fragile and can change on a dime, but progress is happening.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Issue of the week for me. This and MArauders are must read for me.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/