Default Conan the Barbarian vs Miyamoto Musashi

Robert E. Howard's barbarian warrior (book version) vs the real-life, historical Japanese master.

Each have their two most favored type of blades, katana and wakizashi for Musashi, whatever for Conan (I think he prefers a longsword).

Standard arena match.

I cant imagine any real world martial artist could possibly compete with a fictional monster like Conan.

I'm not super familiar with Conan, but people have said the dude would stomp all the top guys from GoT as a starting point.

A lot of "real" Musashi stuff has been heavily romanticized.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Mighty Member

it's not that Musashi wasn't a great martial artist... but you'd have to be comic book peak human to stand a good chance against Conan. and by 'peak human' I actually mean people who are capable of bench pressing grizzly bears and drop kicking mountain lions!

you could probably throw the historical Miyamoto Musashi, Hans Talhoeffer, and Jerónimo Sánchez de Carranza at Conan all at the same time and he'd win the majority. and these are three of the most famous, badass sword fighting martial artists of the last 1000 years. the biggest problem is that 'historical people' are still limited to what the human body can realistically do w/o performance enhancing drugs, etc. when you send them up against a blatantly superhuman character like Batman, Conan, or Daredevil they usually get rolled up like an old newspaper and trashed.

if you search through the dozens of manga versions of Musashi you could probably find a better match-up than by using the historical figure. somebody more knowledgeable of his manga treatments could help you out on that score.

I'm actually currently reading Go Rin no Sho for the first time right now. Musashi is impressive for our real world, but Conan stomps him with a wide range of preposterous feats. Musashi's best chance would be if he had two swords and Conan was unarmed, but Conan would probably still win.

I did actually read some Vagabond back in the day.

In it, Musashi is portrayed as having freak strength. Like toss an 80lbs rock 30 feet with one hand kinda strength. Smash through katanas and the helmets behind them with one cut sorta strength.

He was also fast enough to out draw a dude capable of cutting a flower stem clean in half twice before it hit the ground from being dropped. Dont remember many other feats though.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Real-world Musashi shouldn't be taking this; very much the underdog.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Real-world Musashi shouldn't be taking this; very much the underdog.
    Not with his Glorious Nippon Steel™. Knowing him, he'll take the Katana and knock Conan's nosebone into his brain.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Amazing Member

I like to give real the win over fictional, but if taken seriously, Conan.

Give Musashi a pair of Katana, Katana & Wakizahi or Katanna & Jitte...because THAT was his famous paired sword use. For Conan it doesn't matter too much which "medieval" weapons he is given, but a broadsword & dirk is the book versions most common. Musashi would have an armament/skill edge in those cases, although a basket hilt is pretty major vs nearly guard-less Japanese weapons. Still the greatest swordsman used the second sword for DEFENSE, was good at THROWING wakazashi, and the Jitte is a full on defense weapon...so Conan would no doubt learn to respect him. Musashi was bad ass with a pair of wooden practice Katana (Bokken), but he had best not go there vs Conan...

Again real>fiction, but mongoose quick reactions on a near giant (reach) with "peak human" strength & stamina, combined with vastly more combat experience (60 death duels is insane in real life, but it's Conan's 20th birthday; for Conan a death duel is called "another day" )...makes Conan victorious more often than not. Oh, and one more problem for Musashi...you specified BOOK Conan, and he, unlike comic book or movie Conan, wears the best armor he can get. If Musashi is also the first Japanese person to encounter full plate armor, well, this becomes so unfair I'd think/hope Conan would just subdue him if they are forced to fight for arena combat amusement.

I prefer to think they both survive, then team up & escape to slaughter you for placing them in this arena, dishonorable dog!
    Last edited by GenghisDon; 01-10-2020 at 01:04 PM.

Genghis is right. The duel ends with them both bloody and Conan with the advantage before the ******* Wizard/Noble who set this up drunkenly laughs and explains his subterfuge. The two look at each other, slowly nod and then slaughter their way out whilst killing the Wizard/Noble

Default Conan the Barbarian vs Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    Conan the Barbarian vs Miyamoto Musashi
    What about Conan the Comedian vs Steven Ho

Last edited by Güicho; 01-12-2020 at 02:26 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Genghis is right. The duel ends with them both bloody and Conan with the advantage before the ******* Wizard/Noble who set this up drunkenly laughs and explains his subterfuge. The two look at each other, slowly nod and then slaughter their way out whilst killing the Wizard/Noble
    Glad you liked that!

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Well, it's a standard arena match, so as amusing as that might be, it's not happening. Basically, it's 'Bloodlust on, Arena, start 100' distant'. Conan retains ridiculous stats and feats compared to real world Musashi, and thus murders him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Not with his Glorious Nippon Steel™. Knowing him, he'll take the Katana and knock Conan's nosebone into his brain.
    Gundam.jpg
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate