Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Arthur Curry / Aquaman Appreciation Thread 2020

A man of two worlds. Justice League member. Defender of the Deep. King of the Seven Seas. This thread is dedicated to our favorite hero whether it be on land or under the sea!

Arthur Curry aka Aquaman

Extraordinary Member

I guess, because of Super Friends, I was always an Aquaman fan. I never thought of him as weak or as a second-tier hero. He had unique powers that made him interesting to me.

Always loved the character.

Happy New Year to the King of the Sea .

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I guess, because of Super Friends, I was always an Aquaman fan. I never thought of him as weak or as a second-tier hero. He had unique powers that made him interesting to me.

Always loved the character.
    Same, I mean, most of the world is covered in water so he’s more in power on the earth than anyone else I reckon. Plus he’s a great character with an awesome supporting cast and I’m glad Kelly sue is doing great work with him

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Happy New Year Aquaguy and his friends of the sea! I have a feeling 2020 is going to be good to us.

Aquaman will show up in the next episode of Harley Quinn.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

One of my favorite, underrated Aquaman runs:

SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    One of my favorite, underrated Aquaman runs:

This run holds up so well. There's an alternate reality out there where this continued on and PAD's Namor Aquaman never took hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Aquaman will show up in the next episode of Harley Quinn.

Look at the power of that trident. It blasted Black Adam away .

BANNED

Relooking are a lot of what Scott Snyder did with Aquaman in his justice league run and events I feel like a lot of stuff either didn’t get noticed or simply wasn’t talked about.

In Dark Nights Metal Flash brought up Aquaman’s hook hand like he had it before in continuity. A lot of Metal was setting pieces up for Drowned Earth with the Arion stuff. Drowned Earth reads better as a TPB by the way ��.

I could honestly see Drowned Earth becoming a animated movie or a cinematic film. Stakes are even heavier then past Aqua events. We get a nice send off to Aquaman and probably one of the most touching send offs for a character that connects to his backstory and his family, and we get this mystery of knowing there’s more to Aquaman and he’s integral to the Universe he’s in (Life Force)

I think I judged it too hard because I’m still upset we haven’t got Rise of The Seven Seas but Drowned Earth is definitely a good Aquaman read in my opinion.

Parker's Maelstrom and Sea of Storms would make good cinematic flicks. Unstoppable by Dan Abnett with that big Shaggy Man fight. The Parker annual where Wonder Woman and Aquaman find Heracles. All of Geoff Johns stuff. The Mera mini. Hell, just do the entirety of Rebirth (just stop before Drowned Earth drowns all the goodwill).

I'd like the immediate films to show some of Aquaman existing on the world stage. A solo Mera film would be rad. A smaller prequel that covers Aquaman's more pulp-y adventures with the Others.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-11-2020 at 04:00 PM.

BANNED

Difference of opinion. I guess but I definitely disagree a lot of stuff read more episode like material then grand stage.

Drowned Earth just by name would be an awesome title. “Aquaman: Drowned Earth” you get Atlantis back story in it, you get a connection to the greater DC Universe with Poseidon and Arion. You get a backstory of Aquaman’s powers which I think would be cool even though much hasn’t been shown for it I think the Life Force has a lot of potential. You get a really touching send off moment with Aquaman and Tom Curry sailing off. The TPB honestly reads as a movie.

I wouldn’t by a Aquaman and The Others movie though before Drowned Earth.

Heck I’d take the way Aquaman “died” in Drowned Earth by heroic sacrifice over being accidentally killed by Mera too.

BANNED

I also like the idea where one movie was the attack was from the very planet Earth of a nation not really known about underneath the sea

Drowned Earth would be an attack from other worlds with a vengeance. I think the concept of the ocean morphing people into monsters would be engaging to the main stream audience. It would be cool if Aquaman, Mera and Ocean Master teamed up to fight the Sea Gods maybe the Atlantan trio in replacement of the Justice League hell throw in Garth and Tula too, and Black Manta could serve the same role as he did in the original story where he tried to take Aquaman’s powers.

That way you have Black Manta ultimately return as the big bad. Ocean Master return as an ally of Atlantis, and a Blockbuster level event, that could have horror elements like the first movie had with The Trench but this time with foreign water that morphs your friends and family

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Parker's Maelstrom and Sea of Storms would make good cinematic flicks. Unstoppable by Dan Abnett with that big Shaggy Man fight. The Parker annual where Wonder Woman and Aquaman find Heracles. All of Geoff Johns stuff. The Mera mini. Hell, just do the entirety of Rebirth (just stop before Drowned Earth drowns all the goodwill).

I'd like the immediate films to show some of Aquaman existing on the world stage. A solo Mera film would be rad. A smaller prequel that covers Aquaman's more pulp-y adventures with the Others.
    Maelstrom is the one I want to see, particularly that amazing version of Atlanna and how Arthur resolved the conflict. It was amazing, and the sole issue I have with KSD's run thus far is that she has mentioned mother issues of his but seemed to have missed that one arc (otherwise I'm enjoying KSD's Aquaman a lot!) which did bring them up.

My primary problem with doing Drowned Earth as an animated adaption is it's essentially confirming that they don't think Arthur can really support an animated film (or that Mamoa was what sold Aquaman as a film, which frankly is probably more correct than it isn't) because they have to piggyback him into a Justice League plot. Just like his intro in JLU or Throne of Atlantis. Hell, even Lego Aquaman.

Give me an Aquaman animated movie which revolves around his universe and no mention of any Justice League member, or if we MUST have one, I'll take Wonder Woman given her ties to mythology.

In fact, Aquaman/Wonder Woman Brave and the Bold animated movie? I'm down.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Maelstrom is the one I want to see, particularly that amazing version of Atlanna and how Arthur resolved the conflict. It was amazing, and the sole issue I have with KSD's run thus far is that she has mentioned mother issues of his but seemed to have missed that one arc (otherwise I'm enjoying KSD's Aquaman a lot!) which did bring them up.

My primary problem with doing Drowned Earth as an animated adaption is it's essentially confirming that they don't think Arthur can really support an animated film (or that Mamoa was what sold Aquaman as a film, which frankly is probably more correct than it isn't) because they have to piggyback him into a Justice League plot. Just like his intro in JLU or Throne of Atlantis. Hell, even Lego Aquaman.

Give me an Aquaman animated movie which revolves around his universe and no mention of any Justice League member, or if we MUST have one, I'll take Wonder Woman given her ties to mythology.

In fact, Aquaman/Wonder Woman Brave and the Bold animated movie? I'm down.
    Wouldn’t it be contradictory to say that if they did Drowned Earth it would be like they don’t think Aquaman could support a solo then go on to say Wonder Woman should costar in an animated film with him? I’m not against the idea of Wonder Woman starring in a film with him though out of all the Leaguers she’d be the best choice, especially if you go off Aquaman’s year one Post-Crisis which suggest they knew each other as teens. Bring in some Greek Gods into the mix it be a cool story.

I said this in another post but Drowned Earth doesn’t have to be a Justice League story, you can simply take elements from it and keep it a Aquaman universe contained story. It’s what they did with Throne of Atlantis which is basically what the Aquaman cinematic movie is.

Personally I can’t see Maelstrom being as attention grabbing as Drowned Earth. The stakes are simply bigger in one. We’ve already met Aquaman’s mother in the films and Aquaman knows she’s alive so do the viewers and that’s the biggest reveal in the maelstrom story. Karaku is cool but he’s not the same level of thread as Ancient Sea Gods who can dehydrate you with a touch and supposedly stronger than Superman.
    Last edited by MadFacedKid; 01-11-2020 at 07:58 PM.