Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I would assume it would get relaunched with DC's other books if not for the layoffs.
    You're probably right.

Any ideas/hopes/dreams/nightmares for what should be the relaunch?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    You're probably right.

Any ideas/hopes/dreams/nightmares for what should be the relaunch?
    I'd love if it got relaunched with Kelly Sue still at the helm. She's been great.

That said, as much as I've been loving this run, the cancelation is not that surprising. The book's numbers have been awful for a while. It was only a matter of time. Still, doesn't make it any less sad to see.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

BANNED

Definitely not surprised, felt like he was starting to get the backseat treatment again. Which is bound to happen when that happens. Taking him off the league and not capitalizing on his success in the films was a pretty dumb (opposite of move)

I don’t know if I’d want KSD to come back to the title, don’t get me wrong she’s not a bad writer I just didn’t feel like anything she did was groundbreaking or exciting. It just fell flat and the only other thing I remember her writing was Captain Marvel which I got the same impression reading that. Don’t get me wrong a lot of the issues were fun but didn’t make me want to grab the next issue.

We got tats for no reason than synergy it seemed
    Andy was a plot device for the most part (Disregarding my annoyance to the name)
    The Sea Gods I guess we’re new supporting cast but they haven’t really done anything outside that first arc so why are we even suppose to care about them

I did like that she introduced a new villain with the Salt Goddess/Creation Goddess and I was fond when Aquaman got his hair trimmed. To end it on a good note. If it ever gets relaunched I’d want DC to get PAD and let him have free roam or Steve Orlando who I enjoyed on Deep Dives
    Last edited by MadFacedKid; 08-13-2020 at 08:15 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Definitely not surprised, felt like he was starting to get the backseat treatment again. Which is bound to happen when that happens. Taking him off the league and not capitalizing on his success in the films was a pretty dumb (opposite of move)

I don’t know if I’d want KSD to come back to the title, don’t get me wrong she’s not a bad writer I just didn’t feel like anything she did was groundbreaking or exciting. It just fell flat and the only other thing I remember her writing was Captain Marvel which I got the same impression reading that. Don’t get me wrong a lot of the issues were fun but didn’t make me want to grab the next issue.

Andy was a plot device for the most part (Disregarding my annoyance to the name)
    The Sea Gods I guess we’re new supporting cast but they haven’t really done anything outside that first arc so why are we even suppose to care about them

I did like that she introduced a new villain with the Salt Goddess/Creation Goddess and I was fond when Aquaman got his hair trimmed. To end it on a good note. If it ever gets relaunched I’d want DC to get PAD and let him have free roam or Steve Orlando who I enjoyed on Deep Dives
    DC can't really capitalize the movie's success in the direct market because it's a closed market (new fans wouldn't have easy access to it). So, success in film doesn't really translate in comic sales.

They tried to capitalize the movie in Mera OGN, Arthur even has black hair there. Although I don't think it was so popular.
    Last edited by Konja7; 08-13-2020 at 08:56 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    DC can't really capitalize the movie's success in the direct market because it's a closed market (new fans wouldn't have easy access to it). So, success in film doesn't really translate in comic sales.

They tried to capitalize the movie in Mera OGN, Arthur even has black hair there. Although I don't it was so popular.
    I feel like you can however generate more interest in a character by having them appear more in more media outlets, comics, etc.

Look at the treatment for Wonder Woman and Harley in comparison to Aquaman where they’ve been given more because of their success. Animated Movies, Shows, Variant issues, Comic appearances. While Aquaman was kinda just dialed back, the whole process of removing him from the JL is just weird to me, but I get the idea that the writer might not want to use him or have a story that doesn’t need him. I feel like if a character isn’t treated as their important that effects sales. Reason why I’d argue Johns run was so great sales and quality wise was because he put Aquaman in the forefront and made him feel as your reading a story with a A-List superhero

I definitely don’t think mimicking the movie versions appearance is the way to go, all I see that doing is alienating fans of the comic version.. which there’s people who were upset about the long hair and possibly a majority upset on the tats.

I just hope Aquaman starts wearing his scalemail again...

Cecil Castellucci would be great, her DEEP DIVES was rad and she's one of the best writers around.

Dan Watters, who wrote the amazing OCEAN MASTER one shot during that Year of the Villain thing would also be a great choice.

I want something that builds off the New 52/Rebirth stuff, and moves it forward in a new direction. A larger role for Mera, and Andy. Tula, keep Callie around.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-13-2020 at 09:15 PM.

This too!

10charas

Astonishing Member

In my case, I also want the short hair and no beard. Honestly, I think he looks a lot better that way.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post

KSD was ending her run anyway before this current mess with the layoffs, she talked about it on Word Balloon. She’s getting to write the ending she had planned and is leaving the book on her own terms. My guess was that they were originally going to end the series and relaunch Aquaman first as part of 5G, and then as part of whatever Snyder was cooking up alongside other series that are ending like Harley, Red Hood, Supergirl, etc. I still think we’ll get a relaunch but very trimmed down from what was planned. I think Arthur will make the cut. Gotta admit I don’t know who I would have write him. Maybe Priest? He’s got a good track record with king heroes after all.

The book was actually extended due to Coronavirus, KSD should've finished months ago! It's in that article Frontier linked to.

"I am leaving the book a few issues past when I'd planned to leave," DeConnick explained. "I stayed on longer than I'd intended because the pandemic school closures caused me to fall behind and I needed extra time to wrap up storylines."
    The Aqualad focused fill ins only happened because she fell behind, otherwise the book would've ended earlier.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-14-2020 at 03:02 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

It was too good to be true, but all good things come to an end. I only hope we don't have to wait long for the next great Aquaman run and that he shaves and puts his shirt back on... Or if he doesn't shave, at least keeps it where it's at now. Perfect mix of new and old.

Can't say the news saddens me, I stopped reading it a while ago.

Extraordinary Member

It is probably not canceled.

The solicit does not say FINAL ISSUE, DC is pretty good with that.

The solicit does say "finale" right after it says KSD run and all her plots are coming together to an end, and "finale" or similar words are common when a big story or run ends and someone else takes over next issue.