Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Did Flash Gordon (1936) help inspire Aquaman’s look?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I really loved that suit, and the book. I wouldn't want it as Arthur's main duds, but maybe as a suit he wears on certain adventures.
    I like it too myself. Just doesn’t give off the whole Atlantean royalty aspect of Aquaman looking at it. Looks more like something the Sea-Devils might wear. Or in a world where Aquaman didn’t have the whole Atlantean ties and was just a superhero.

I wouldn’t mind it as an occasional suit either every once in awhile just think it needs a bit of a touch up/reimagining

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    I like it too myself. Just doesn’t give off the whole Atlantean royalty aspect of Aquaman looking at it. Looks more like something the Sea-Devils might wear. Or in a world where Aquaman didn’t have the whole Atlantean ties and was just a superhero.

I wouldn’t mind it as an occasional suit either every once in awhile just think it needs a bit of a touch up/reimagining
    I agree, I wouldn't want to see it used too much but I do like it. The classic orange and green is where it's at.

Garth should just get that exact blue suit.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If he's got to have a beard, I think his hair should be short, otherwise I like him clean-shaven and short hair. No artist other then maybe Sejic has convinced me otherwise.
    I've always felt the beard made him look more distinguished. Their aren't to many superheroes rocking the bearded look regularly. It also makes him look like Neptune/Poseidon which plays into his mythic archetype quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I've always felt the beard made him look more distinguished. Their aren't to many superheroes rocking the bearded look regularly. It also makes him look like Neptune/Poseidon which plays into his mythic archetype quite well.
    In my opinion it's usually the opposite. The beard ususally makes him look like a rugged wildman. some kind of wild barbarian. A neatly trimmed beard or clean shaven make him look like a distinguised and noble 'king'... but the beard? he usually looks pretty UNcivilized

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    I actually like that design. I feel like Aquaman’s usually the character that stays pretty stagnant. Only change I guess would be hair often times.

Regardless I like it because of how Herculean it looks and it keeps the classic colors as well.

Atlantis isn’t just advanced technology it’s arcane magic/magics
    The Herculean vibe is actually why I don’t like it. I much prefer my Atlantis as a futuristic tech place that uses magic rather than barbarian couture.
    Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    the blue suit was pretty stream lined

This is top 3!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    It also makes him look like Neptune/Poseidon which plays into his mythic archetype quite well.
    Personally that's why I dislike the beard. He's not Neptune/Poseidon, he's Aquaman. Making him look like that reduces his distinctiveness.

It's the same problem as Wonder Woman toting around a big sword and shield. It diminishes her.
    Last edited by hareluyafan1; 05-20-2020 at 11:18 AM. Reason: making it easier to read

Anybody else jonesing for a lower budget AQUAMAN AND THE OTHERS flick alongside a big budget AQUAMAN 2?

Anybody else jonesing for a lower budget AQUAMAN AND THE OTHERS flick alongside a big budget AQUAMAN 2?
    I'd rather have The Others pop up in some role in Aquaman 2 (since I'm speculating they'll be drawing on Johns' second arc for it).

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'm of the mind that most superhero movies need to take a budget reduction across the board, so yes, I'm down.

It's going to be a hella long wait for an AQUAMAN 2.

I think having a relatively smaller budget Indiana Jones style pulp action movie set between Aquaman 1 and 2 would be fun. Arthur has to call on his old friends to help him. Mera gets to meet the squad. We get to see Arthur show how much he's changed as a man from the overly rough and overly tumble guy, dismissive of responsiblity, to the king and mensch of the people that he is now. He can atone and build some new bonds. It'd be a win for everyone!
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 05-22-2020 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I'm of the mind that most superhero movies need to take a budget reduction across the board, so yes, I'm down.
    I don't know how much they can reduce the budget with how FX heavy the water and Atlantis scenes in the first movie were, unless we stay out of Atlantis.

I don't know how much they can reduce the budget with how FX heavy the water and Atlantis scenes in the first movie were, unless we stay out of Atlantis.
    I think if any character deserves a big budget, wide screen, FX heavy romp- it's 100% Aquaguy. I wouldn't want to spend any time away from Atlantis.

For an AQUAMAN AND THE OTHERS flick, that's a kinda inbetween-quel, you could probably get away with reigning it in and making it on a smaller scale though. A quest amidst old ruins of ancient and forgotten civilizations. Practical effect heavy Lovecraftian horrors. No real villain or big 3rd act Rock'm Sock'm Robots. Could also probably be filmed alongside AQUAMAN 2. Del Toro could rock it, while Wan works on the sequel.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 05-22-2020 at 10:26 AM.

I think if any character deserves a big budget, wide screen, FX heavy romp- it's 100% Aquaguy. I wouldn't want to spend any time away from Atlantis.

For an AQUAMAN AND THE OTHERS flick, that's a kinda inbetween-quel, you could probably get away with reigning it in and making it on a smaller scale though. A quest amidst old ruins of ancient and forgotten civilizations. Practical effect heavy Lovecraftian horrors. No real villain or big 3rd act Rock'm Sock'm Robots. Could also probably be filmed alongside AQUAMAN 2. Del Toro could rock it, while Wan works on the sequel.
    Maybe if it was just focused on The Others, but I think we're more likely to see them all together in the sequel.

Well, them and Aqualad.

Maybe if it was just focused on The Others, but I think we're more likely to see them all together in the sequel.

Well, them and Aqualad.
    You think they will use Garth or Kaldur? I’m assuming with Kaldur’s popularity and his connection with Black Manta that he’d be the pick.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.