Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I don't think the stakes need to be super duper high, for a sequel. Honestly it might be smarter to dial it back a bit. Give us some random Aquaman adventure flicks before going for a big epic again. I think leaning more into "sci fi underwater Indiana Jones" and less mythological stuff is the move.

Animated movies, too. I think we just need some cool Aquaman joints- doesn't need to be world ending threats. Just threats to Atlantis/the sea and sea animals/Aquaman's family.

BANNED

I don’t see how Karaku the volcano God does that without the whole Pacifica finding his mom plot but I guess a writer should be able to adapt any story and make it work.

Different perspectives but I think if the goals to get people to the movies you want a blockbuster styled event. There’s a reason Marvel went for Ragnarok for Thor or why we get villains like Kurse, Loki, Surtur and Hela instead of characters like Blaastar or Absorbing Man. Those are cartoon episode villains not blockbuster villains.

Drowned Earth would tie Black Manta in better to the story and Ocean Master who are both present in the actual story in comparison to Maelstrom.

I have been loving everything Aquaman since rebirth. I never cared too much about Aquaman before but I did always try to defend him because I did think conceptually he was a fascinating character. Since rebirth tho, he's just been going from strength to strength, consistently given great to good story after great to good story. I'll be honest tho, I think Kelley Sue Deconnick's run could be shaping up to be my favorite run yet. I think her and the creative team have a very unique and refreshing take on the character while still keeping him consistent with what was done before. plus the reintroduction of Aqualad with his new design (which I love! more black male characters with unique hairstyles please) is was a great idea, I didn't realize how much I needed to see more of them working together.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I have been loving everything Aquaman since rebirth. I never cared too much about Aquaman before but I did always try to defend him because I did think conceptually he was a fascinating character. Since rebirth tho, he's just been going from strength to strength, consistently given great to good story after great to good story. I'll be honest tho, I think Kelley Sue Deconnick's run could be shaping up to be my favorite run yet. I think her and the creative team have a very unique and refreshing take on the character while still keeping him consistent with what was done before. plus the reintroduction of Aqualad with his new design (which I love! more black male characters with unique hairstyles please) is was a great idea, I didn't realize how much I needed to see more of them working together.
    I think the common consensus is that Aquaman has probably had the most consistent quality writing of any DC title since the New 52 reboot.

About the only exception is the Bunn arc from the DCYou run but that was editorially-mandated and over pretty quickly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the common consensus is that Aquaman has probably had the most consistent quality writing of any DC title since the New 52 reboot.

About the only exception is the Bunn arc from the DCYou run but that was editorially-mandated and over pretty quickly.
    I honestly don’t think Bunn’s Aquaman run was bad at all. I think people went into it with the idea they were splitting Aquaman and Mera up and Mera was a villain and that effected the run. I think he introduced interesting things to the lore and he also brought back Garth. I could make a case against anyone who says his characterization was off too. I think the fundamentals for his character was there

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I like Jackson’s look too. It’s something I see in real life and it’s different and unique to him in comparison to other characters. his twist with frosted tips

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    I honestly don’t think Bunn’s Aquaman run was bad at all. I think people went into it with the idea they were splitting Aquaman and Mera up and Mera was a villain and that effected the run. I think he introduced interesting things to the lore and he also brought back Garth. I could make a case against anyone who says his characterization was off too. I think the fundamentals for his character was there
    I don't think it was bad, but I think the DC mandates kind of derailed the book and just broke the momentum a bit.

BANNED

I don't think it was bad, but I think the DC mandates kind of derailed the book and just broke the momentum a bit.
    I could agree with that. Way too much change way too fast and they expected readers to get behind it.

It was pretty line wide though to be fair. I think Wonder Woman and Flash were the only ones who weren’t drastically going through anything in the DCYou period. Hal, Superman, Batman and Arthur all were

I could agree with that. Way too much change way too fast and they expected readers to get behind it.

It was pretty line wide though to be fair. I think Wonder Woman and Flash were the only ones who weren’t drastically going through anything in the DCYou period. Hal, Superman, Batman and Arthur all were
    Aside from mediocrity and bad costumes.

BANNED

I thought Wonder Woman’s costume looked cool in DCYou just wasn’t something I’d associate with her though.

Speaking of questionable looks I don’t know if this ever got brought up
    03F7A0E9-6840-4D8F-988B-5182239CF7AD.jpg

Hopefully Aquaman will get a new writer soon, not digging the current run.

BANNED

What’s your issues with the current run?

What’s your issues with the current run?
    Not a fan of the new name and the new girl (alluded to an unnecessary love).
    Also didn't like how she handled Arhur and Mera. Mera feels waay different written by KSD. Both Arhur and Mera feel OOC.
    Mera is pregnant and he "needs some time" wth the Arthur I know is tougher than steel.

BANNED

The new name was because he lost his memory he got it back and is back to being Arthur. I have no opinion on Callie personally myself she hasn’t done really anything outside the Namma arc.

I don’t mind the OOc thing too much I understand if others don’t but I could see how the pregnancy would have both Aquaman and Mera act differently. Heck they’re was an annual where Aquaman and Mera lost a child recently too on top of the fact Aquaman has seen what happened to characters like Damian Wayne. I think bringing in a kid could make the toughest person seem not so tough is my overall point. I think KSD will delve more into it and it fit it better if she’s given the time.

My biggest grievance is I feel like they Momoafied Aquaman lol.

https://imgur.com/gallery/YXvpSCp

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Not a fan of the new name and the new girl (alluded to an unnecessary love).
    Also didn't like how she handled Arhur and Mera. Mera feels waay different written by KSD. Both Arhur and Mera feel OOC.
    Mera is pregnant and he "needs some time" wth the Arthur I know is tougher than steel.
    I think the vulnerability that KSD brings to these character is a refreshing and much needed turn for the characters. not ever hero needs to be stoic and super tough, that doesn't feel like a person to me at least, it's cool seeing these characters grapple with things and experience anxiety about things a real person would feel anxious about.

as for Callie, aside from some tension between her and Arthur when he lost his memory, there has been any real romantic chemistry between the two. like with Dolphin in Abnett's run, Mera is clearly established to be the one in Arthur's heart over anybody else. maybe the more light and emotionally nuanced approach they are taking with run isn't for you but I think you are just coming at it the wrong way; perhaps you're looking at it for what you'd want an Aquaman story to be over what they're trying to say with the character. maybe you won't like it regardless, which would be a shame, but I really think you should give it another shot and really try to engage with the themes and ideas they are laying out.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

his New 52 stuff was pretty mid for me, but once Rebirth hit, Aquaman and Deathstroke were probably the two most consistent runs. the Rath arc dragged a little for me (like 1 or 2 issue too long for me) but i'd never say the run had ever been bad. I think i may have skipped the DCYou stuff, what was so bad about it?
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-12-2020 at 06:03 PM.

currently following: