Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

The king has risen?

I'm stoked to see who the new team will be. Hopefully Cecil Castellucci or Dan Watters can take a swing at this.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-18-2020 at 01:22 PM.

BANNED

If I had the metabolism for it and stomach acid I’d eat my hat ��. Really happy if this is the case. Hoping Orlando gets a run on Aquaman I loved his Deep Dives issues and think it would be cool if they were brought into canon.

PAD is always an ideal choice for me
    I’m expecting it to possibly be Francis Manapul though which could be really good

It could be fun to let Garth take the Aquaman mantle for awhile(he can be on the league) and let Arthur and Mera go off and do some different types of adventuring. This could also just be because I'm missing Garth a lot today lol.

KSD and Jordan Clark did an IG live segment where they talked Aquaman.
    - She told the story she wanted. She fell behind at the end of the school year and that's when the offer was extended to Clark to build up some lead time for her.
    - The reason for separating Arthur/Mera was that editorial felt Mera was overpowering him on the page. They wanted to build back up Arthur's ambitions/persona so they could bring them back on what felt more like equal footing. Once again finding his reason for being a hero.
    - A lot of what she did was formed from ideas straight from Johns' run.
    - Arthur and Mera are definitely finally getting married. She doesn't know why it had to be such a drawn out process/secret but she's excited to show it.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    It could be fun to let Garth take the Aquaman mantle for awhile(he can be on the league) and let Arthur and Mera go off and do some different types of adventuring. This could also just be because I'm missing Garth a lot today lol.
    I'd love a new writer who cares about Garth .
    - She told the story she wanted. She fell behind at the end of the school year and that's when the offer was extended to Clark to build up some lead time for her.
    - The reason for separating Arthur/Mera was that editorial felt Mera was overpowering him on the page. They wanted to build back up Arthur's ambitions/persona so they could bring them back on what felt more like equal footing. Once again finding his reason for being a hero.
    - Arthur and Mera are definitely finally getting married. She doesn't know why it had to be such a drawn out process/secret but she's excited to show it.
    I don't know why Mera overpowering him would be a problem now. It didn't seem like an issue with Johns, Parker, or Abnett. At least the marriage is finally happening.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

All good to hear except for once again, poor Jeff Parker's run got snubbed despite being rad. Still, this is easily one of the better Aquaman runs. I've loved every issue and I'm so glad I ignored the usual bad news (movie synergy! Amnesia! Mera is missing!) and gave it a shot. Been a blast.

KSD is always welcome back to Arthur and Mera's corner of the DCU as far as I'm concerned. She's one of the greats, to say nothing of the absolute murderer's row of artists she's had on this run. They killed every page.

So what else needs to happen for Aquaman to get that fourth spot on DC's Rushmore?

The Trinity are untouchable from the Golden Age onward.

But that "Fourth Pillar" should not be (and isn't) Harley Quinn.

Really, Arthur's only true competition, across all media, are

1. Barry Allen
    2. Hal Jordan
    3. Dick Grayson
    4. Billy Batson

I feel Batson is forever trapped as DC's step-child.

Grayson is stuck between Batman and the Titans, with neither franchise revolving around him.

Hal hasn't been the only Earth Green Lantern for a while.

Barry has a Neverending civil war with Wally West fans.

I think Arthur has a real shot!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    So what else needs to happen for Aquaman to get that fourth spot on DC's Rushmore?

1. Barry Allen
    2. Hal Jordan
    3. Dick Grayson
    4. Billy Batson

Grayson is stuck between Batman and the Titans, with neither franchise revolving around him.

The billion dollar movie definitely helps, but over the length of time? Grayson probably is the most iconic. I love Arthur, but Hal had a big moment in the sun once too and now his star has faded. The movie helped raise his... tide (I'M SORRY) but we need that momentum to continue before he really steals what has sadly become Harley's spot.

1. Barry Allen
    2. Hal Jordan
    3. Dick Grayson
    4. Billy Batson

I think it will always be Robin.

Dick by default... but pretty much never 'nightwing'. In people's minds and the general culture it will always be Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman and Robin. They are kind of a package deal. Even if the kid in the mask changes, the Rushmore will always have the dynamic duo up there.

I would love to see Dick.

As for Arthur, honestly I’m not sure. His movie made a billion dollars so we’re almost there but I think he will do well in the coming years as people talk more about climate change and extinction rebellion. I hope he gets his own game soon

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I would love to see Dick.

As for Arthur, honestly I’m not sure. His movie made a billion dollars so we’re almost there but I think he will do well in the coming years as people talk more about climate change and extinction rebellion. I hope he gets his own game soon
    Which is weird... he's already had his enviromental activist period.... AND he's had a video game. Which is more than can be said for the likes of Flash or even Wonder Woman. Yeah, it SUCKED... but it EXISTED!

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Which is weird... he's already had his enviromental activist period.... AND he's had a video game. Which is more than can be said for the likes of Flash or even Wonder Woman. Yeah, it SUCKED... but it EXISTED!

The Flash has had a game!!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

1. Barry Allen
    2. Hal Jordan
    3. Dick Grayson
    4. Billy Batson

I think the billion dollar movie says a lot.

He needs a sequel, a cartoon series. Give Mera a push too. Get a sequel to the OGN Tidebreaker book she had, keep Arthur and Mera as your leads in A2.

I'd say keep DEEP DIVES going digitally. Do another MERA mini or maxi digitally, AQUALAD/BLACK MANTA too.

AQUAMAN itself has been fire, cept for DROWNED EARTH. Keep that momentum going.

He doesn't need to be 4th pillar, but he can be up there!

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    All good to hear except for once again, poor Jeff Parker's run got snubbed despite being rad. Still, this is easily one of the better Aquaman runs. I've loved every issue and I'm so glad I ignored the usual bad news (movie synergy! Amnesia! Mera is missing!) and gave it a shot. Been a blast.

KSD is always welcome back to Arthur and Mera's corner of the DCU as far as I'm concerned. She's one of the greats, to say nothing of the absolute murderer's row of artists she's had on this run. They killed every page.
    The art on AQUAMAN has been fire, almost straight through. The begining of the King Rath storyline had some problems nailing out aesthetics but once it did, it rocked it.

Thanks again for giving the new run such good word of mouth, brother. Not sure I would have stuck with those early issues if you hadn't been praising it. It all reads really wonderfully now, and in the larger narrative I do think the story of Andy and Callie and the Elder Sea Gods was really necessary to rebuild him after the awful Drowned Earth joint. Find Arthur's place again and redefine why he is who he is- and after #50 the book was just extra stellar. I'm a sucker for the harder lean into Lovecraftian territory.

I also love Callie as a supporting character a whole lot. Really hope she sticks around in whatever run is forthcoming.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-21-2020 at 06:21 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    The art on AQUAMAN has been fire, almost straight through. The begining of the King Rath storyline had some problems nailing out aesthetics but once it did, it rocked it.

Thanks again for giving the new run such good word of mouth, brother. Not sure I would have stuck with those early issues if you hadn't been praising it. It all reads really wonderfully now, and in the larger narrative I do think the story of Andy and Callie and the Elder Sea Gods was really necessary to rebuild him after the awful Drowned Earth joint. Find Arthur's place again and redefine why he is who he is- and after #50 the book was just extra stellar. I'm a sucker for the harder lean into Lovecraftian territory.

I also love Callie as a supporting character a whole lot. Really hope she sticks around in whatever run is forthcoming.
    Oh right! Drowned Earth was a thing.

I liked Drowned Earth conceptually (in the Silver Age Aquaman was always dealing with Space People who were trying to steal all of Earth's Oceans and adding a slightly P.A.D. Nineties fashion to them but giving them a Gardner Fox by way of Lovecraft angle didn't hurt) but of course virtually never like when some event derails a solo title that's firing on all cylinders. Aquaman was already a good book then he went and got all "Oh and Aquaman is Missing" in JL.

But Since Johns' run back in the back, Aquaman has had high and low tides but has been consistently strong storytelling and with good writing and art. Oh man high points include all the things. The Trench. Ocean Master being turned into DC's Namor. There was "The Others", not the strongest concept but a fun idea they at least ran with for a while - and Aquaman had a second book for a minute that was a little basic, but was not bad at all. Then Parker's stuff ... revitalizing the Creature King into a Chimera ... but especially the stuff with Atlanna. And then the mid-season revamp with Sejic's art design and Dolphin's redesign. Just so much good stuff.

I think there's weak points to be sure. Not everything works. The Sisterhood for instance might work as a concept but their costume design is pretty uninspired. They neither intimidate nor look like Under-the-Sea Nuns or whatever. I think Orm's new friend the naiad girl is a little OP in the way of big magical entities. I think the Black Manta stuff with Aqualad has been pretty solid but the Black Manta stuff with Aquaman hasn't really felt very motivated.

Diving a bit further back ... I could see how Mera on the page might overpower Aquaman but that just speaks to how OP (in a good way) Mera is as a character. She's not even "that defined" other than her omega-level super-power combined with her sort of "nobility, arranged marriages, kings and assassins and witchy sisters" stock tropes and the fact that by virtue of, I dunno, probably just the fact she's a red-head ... having that ferocity.

Because Aquaman is such a low-key guy, sort of a wandering lone rider cowboy of the sea and the throne of Atlantis sits so uncomfortably under him, he's not that well served being anchored to the realpolitik of Atlantis Melodrama. Plus he's a surface man and a Justice League bad-ass with enough self-awareness to be like "dude eff this Atlantis drama". But being split between two worlds makes for a good internal conflict for Aquaman and also explains why he's quiet and introspective but then boldly happy or boldly raging when his emotions do get poked.

Where was I going with this?

Oh right ... Aquaman should take paternity leave and Mera should headline and be on Justice League again while Arthur has an undersea cowboy western Lone Wolf & Cub storyline.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com